Time for Barrichello to quit F1?

I'm not convinced that the car is the dog it's made out to be; we all had high hopes for it during pre-season testing and the figures seemed genuine at the time.

I do think that there are serious problems with the team management and structure; and this is clearly reflected in the high level personnel changes and comments coming out of the team (Sam Michael over-stretched etc).

As for Ruben's...
I think he is in his last year or two but I suspect that Williams will keep him for stability during the management changes. This may not be a bad thing but I do think he's reaching the end of his usefullness on track. I'm keeping an open mind on Maldonado at the moment to see how he performs on tracks he knows. I think we're all being a tad harsh on him although I agree he probably won't set the world on fire.

So Ruben's will go when he wants to because Williams will still find a role for him; I don't see him going to another team to race.

Williams will certainly be his last team, I can't see him going to the newer teams.

really? So if you were in HRT's situation you wouldn't jump at the chance to get someone like Rubens in your cockpit who probably after a few laps could give you a list as long as his arm on things you could do to improve the performance?

I think Rubens will be in F1 as long as Rubens wants to be in F1 - although I agree I can't see him moving up the grid!

you're right I can't that would be very harsh on then.

I just meant that Rubens knew he was moving down the grid when he left Brawn and went to Williams - I think he just loves being in F1 and being a part of a team. Wouldn't be suprised to see him running a team or entering a team in the future.

I remember Clay Regazzoni moving from Williams to Ensign in 1980 and, before his horrific accident in Long Beach, putting in some excellent performances in a team very much "doing it on the cheap". Perhaps Rubens has a place at someone like HRT but Williams need a team leader and Rubens has never been that, even with all his experience in F1.

Rubens reminds me a bit of Michele Alboreto or Rene Arnoux, driving for the love of driving and still picking up a healthy pay check. But a career in terminal decline.

Maybe Webber will find his way back to Williams next year...

Don't know if many of you remember this thread:

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/the-decline-and-fall-of-once-great-drivers.878/

I'm not suggesting Rubens was a "great" driver but if he had gone after his last season at Brawn he would have at least retired on a high rather than the slow death of a career he is going through at the moment.

The car isn't that bad, we saw the pace in Australia where Barrichello was lapping on the leaders pace, until he ruined his own race. In Spain the car seemed to be quick in qualifying, well in Maldonado's hands.

Maldonado started 9th finished 15th and a lap down, Barrichello started 19th and finished 17th and 2 laps down, with a lot of brand new set of tyres and still finished way behind his team-mate who has been "rookish" - (Hammydigrassi's word which I stole) . Compare that to Heidfeld and Petrov, Petrov started 6th yet finished 11th, Heidfeld started 24th and finished 8th with lots of new tyres.

We know Barrichello is an emotional character, maybe the off-track situation has gotten to him and he is slowly losing his motivation?

How quickly views change. Last season he's regularly beating the latest Wunderkind, now it's time to quit? I'm not so sure. He's obviously frustrated at the problems at Williams, and at Spain he did give the impression of going through the motions. But if Williams can give him a car worthy of his talents, I've no doubt he can deliver strong results for them. With his experience of dodgy cars, I'm sure he'll have plenty to contribute to that process.

He's not as quick as he was when he was 27, but I struggle to think of anyone available who'd definitely be any better?

Pretty awesome when one considers the fact that he's only just turned 39. :goodday:to him. Oh, and he's done it without turning into a nasty bloke!

Well it's nice to hear him give fighting talk. But i still think he's lost interest and needs to find a motorsport that he'll at least get a win or two during the season. I'd really love him to go to DTM and do a few seasons in that.

I agree, but let's give him one more season eh? He wasn't bad last season and the car not being as good this season compared to the previous, I say give him the benefit of the doubt like we all did for Schumacher last season. :thumbsup:

Haven't we been giving him the benefit of the doubt since 2007? If 2009 hadn't have happened the way he did he wouldn't be in a drive now. After all had Honda not have pulled out, the chances are the second seat would have gone to Senna.

Hmm, 3rd in the 2009 championship - yes he fluffed once or twice, but several mysterious issues that he was clearly unhappy about. It's not like he's been out of F1 for 3 years. Williams have not produced anything like the car he's needed in 2010 or thus far this year ... and let's not underestimate the dominance of the top three teams. I'm just not ready to write him off and apparently neither is he or his team and I don't think it's a case of "benefit of doubt". He is still fast and his experience is of tremendous value. Just ask Schumi' who pinched Rubens settings on many occasions at Ferrari!:D

A supreme tyre choice in Silverstone aided that. Now where have I heard tyre choices doing well before......

Back
Top Bottom