The London 2012 Paralympics

sushifiesta

Champion Elect
Contributor
After the great success of the London Olympics, from the amazing performance of Team GB to the organisation and atmosphere at the venues (which has left all but the most determined of moaners to sing its praises ;)), things are going to seem pretty dull and quiet from tomorrow...

But wait, it's not over yet! We have another week and a half of great week of sporting action to look forward to in our capital - the Paralympics! In our modern society, this is a chance to marvel at the achievements of those who have faced great difficulties for one reason or another, and to promote acceptance worldwide. Not only that, but Team GB have a great chance of topping the medal table and tickets are already hard to come by, making it the largest Paralympics ever!

The basics:

When: 29th Aug - 9th Sep. Opening ceremony at 8.30pm on the 29th.
Where: LONDON!!! Duh. The Paralympics will largely utilise the same venues as the Olympics.
More Info: http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/

I'll leave it at that, I don't really know what I'm talking about.... Let the discussions begin! Come on Team GB!!!

I've just realised that the BBC aren't covering the Paralympics, it's Channel 4. Hopefully they'll do it justice, I must admit my heart sank initially but at least it sounds like the coverage is going to be almost as comprehensive as the BBC's was for the Olympics:

The London 2012 Paralympics starts on 29 August and Channel 4 will make history and broadcast the Games like never before.

More than 400 hours of live coverage will be shown during the 12 days of the London Paralympics, with multiple television and online channels dedicated to showing all the best action.

Coverage will switch to More4 when not shown on the main channel, while three additional streams of live coverage on six dedicated channels will be available on the Sky, Virgin and Freesat platforms - three in standard definition and three in high definition, covering numerous sports across the event.

All of the streams will be available to watch live on the dedicated C4Paralympics website at channel4.com/paralympics.

Yes channel four have been promoting it for quite a while now, possibly as long as the the BBC have been promoting what is perceived as the main event and let me tell you those wheel chair athletes are brutal they give absolutely no quarter, I'm looking forward to it....

Real tough bastards, and shame on the BBC for not showing it after all it is the state channel isn't it, the team GB guys pay their licence fee and deserve to be on the main channel, what is it do they think they are an embarrassment or something, not palatable to the viewing public, it may put them off their supper mayn't it...

I hope the BBC's ratings go right down during the event, it is a disgrace...

Start them young.
dar-humps-9.jpg

There were a lot of exciting........,unforgettable......., brilliant ...etc moments during the Olympics
& some sporting moments ...................S.African double amputee Oscar Pistorious, was eventually allowed to compete in the Mens 400m race, on his carbon fibre blades ......I think he came in last. The young race winner, Kirani James from Grenada, taking his countiry's first medal, showed his appreciation by swapping name tags with Oscar, after the race, This moment IMHO would make a great publicity shot for Olympics/Para Olympics

A thread to put .'Your favourite moments from the Olympics?

Mephistopheles To be fair to the BBC, they did show that amazing Paralympic trailer, minus the Channel 4 stuff at the end, and they did end their Olympic coverage with "bring on the Paralympics", so they're not pretending like it doesn't exist which is a lot more than some broadcasters would do. Their coverage of the Olympics was amazing too, so you can understand them not having the resources for another two weeks.

Don't know if you could access it in GB, but during the Olympics more or less every single event was covered by "eurovisionsports.tv". Does anybody here know if those guys are covering the Paralympics as well? Because I loved the way I could choose whatever I wanted to see at any moment (Because unlike the BBC we only had one channel and a bunch of the most incompetent presenters/commentators here in Germany. I really can't stand German Sport journalists. They really are as bad as you could be)

Is anyone else feeling slightly uncomortable about the Paralympics promo advert currently being aired on C4/ITV. For those who haven't seen it, it features a brief shot of a part of a tunnel into the Olympic stadium with the noise of the crowd and then the camera pans down a tunnel and under the stand to show various GB paralympians waiting under the seats. It comes across as if they were being hidden away while the main games were on then let out when every one else had gone home. I don't think it's quite the image that they would want.

Is anyone else feeling slightly uncomortable about the Paralympics promo advert currently being aired on C4/ITV. For those who haven't seen it, it features a brief shot of a part of a tunnel into the Olympic stadium with the noise of the crowd and then the camera pans down a tunnel and under the stand to show various GB paralympians waiting under the seats. It comes across as if they were being hidden away while the main games were on then let out when every one else had gone home. I don't think it's quite the image that they would want.

Talk about over-analysing something. They're just preparing to walk out into the stadium. It has no ties to the Olympics at all. However I'll watch it again to see if that's what it comes across as.

Eurosport is often a better Sports viewing experience than the "mainstream" channels isn't it GermanF1? I've been a fan since the early nineties when I lived in Germany and got tv via the Astra satellite. I don't know about coverage of the paralympics but I'll keep a look out.

gethinceri I love Eurosport coverages of whatever sport. There is not a lot of nationalist crap and the commentators know what they are talking about. They cover the tennis Grand Slams (except Wimbledon), and it's so good, even though the coverage is pretty simple without all the unneccessary modern stuff (but hell no, it is good, because of it's simplicity!).

I have to call out utter balls to that as you missed the tag line.

"Thanks for the warm up"

Back
Top Bottom