Music The Best Audiophile Track In The World Ever

Just to join in the "look at mine" I picked up an ex-display Sony HT-IS100 in Comet a couple of years ago for £100. The speakers are not much bigger than golf balls but the sound is stunning. Only problem is I can't get a set of stands for the rear speakers as when Sony discontinued the model they stopped making the speaker stands and the "universal" ones don't fit. :(

sony-ht-is100-promo.jpg

I have now thrown out the old hifi unit. Built new Ikea one. Moved the TV to centre on new La-Z-boy position (arriving in a week or 2). Ditched the Wii and the HD recorder as they weren't being used. Upgraded the PS3, CD player and SKY 1TB HD box to optical cable into the amp. Wired everything back up. Taken about 10 hours work.
I am ready for the F1 season. With a bit of luck the La-z-boy will be here before the second race. :)
hifi_wiring 016.jpeg

I have been listening to 'The Wall' a few times over the last week. I have also just received some Kraftwerk, Diana Krall, Mozart and Led Zeplin. All of which are repeated recommendations on hifi forums. Just got them on the iPod last night haven't had a listen yet.

I've just hooked up a couple of speakers to my system I found while having a clear out. I've now got full 7.1 surround sound with a couple of extra speakers high up behind the TV. Does anyone else have the extra speakers and know which are the best films for testing the extra oomph.
I want to crank up the system to see what it is capable of but my star wars blu-rays are only 5.1, same with transformers 1&2,

... or as a young chap in his early 20's. Not that I would recommend it to any young folk's these days. Modern acid is shit, so I'm told.:twisted: And many folk's wonder why Fenderman's head is inhabited ...

I've got a 7.1 set up F1Yorkshire.
The effects are very subtle so any action movie with 7.1 encoding should do.

BTW, when you say the speakers are "high up behind the TV", surely you mean behind the listening position?

This is how my system is set up.

7.1.jpg

There's 2 options for 7.1

There's rear surround as you have and then front high like I have mine. I don't have the room for your configuration due to the door to the balcony being right where the left most speaker should be. I've just spent the afternoon annoying Sh4dow85 trying to get the layout right.

Hmm, I've never heard of front 7.1.
Is that THX certified?

I'm struggling to understand how it will work properly as sounds intended for the rear will be coming from the front :s

Just got them on the iPod last night haven't had a listen yet.

If your listening to mp3s on hi end audio gear there's something a bit wrong ;)

My lovely lady just sent me a pristine 1978 pressing of the Eagles - now that sounds awesome!

Technics 1210 with Ortofon Concord carts into a NAD amp into Technics 1210 headphones into my brain.

Hmm, I've never heard of front 7.1.
Is that THX certified?

I'm struggling to understand how it will work properly as sounds intended for the rear will be coming from the front :s

It's to do with Dolby Pro Logic IIz, With my Onkyo amp I can change the 6th & 7th speakers to be either Front High or Rear Surround so the correct sound is coming from the right source. This speaker configuration is also used in 9.1 too.

Just cranked up my system to the max for the 1st time, well I say the max but it got to 75% and the system went into safety mode. End result one of the cheap speakers completely blown and the sound now seems off balance even after going back to 5.1 instead of 7.1. oops! The bass sounded incredible though for the brief moment my system stayed on.

Back
Top Bottom