The 2010 season

No Ray of Hope!

No light at the end of the tunnel then? :givemestrength:

Australian Grand Prix boss Ron Walker said:
"It's clearly not dangerous," Walker was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun newspaper.

"You can't please these drivers, they are a bunch of lazy people who won't do anything to help the sport, except for two or three.

"A lot of drivers are prima donnas. They are never happy," he added.

:crazy:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82754

Putting the current race results into the old scoring system comes up with some interesting differences.

Driver			New	Old
Felipe Massa 39 16
Fernando Alonso 37 15
Sebastian Vettel 37 15
Jenson Button 35 13
Nico Rosberg 35 14
Lewis Hamilton 31 12
Robert Kubica 30 13
Mark Webber 24 9
Adrian Sutil 10 4
Michael Schumacher 9 3
Vitantonio Liuzzi 8 2
Rubens Barrichello 5 1
Jaime Alguersuari 2 0
Nico Hülkenberg 1 0

Nico Rosberg would be in 4th ahead of Jenson Button and Robert Kubica would be in 6th place instead of Lewis Hamilton.

The top 7 places would be separated by just 4 points.

You have to say that using the old system would give much more tension and reinforce the prospect of a really strong competitive season ahead.

With this new system I've already got the feeling of some major contenders lagging behind and a fear of them dropping out of contention. :bored:

snowy said:
You have to say that using the old system would give much more tension and reinforce the prospect of a really strong competitive season ahead.

With this new system I've already got the feeling of some major contenders lagging behind and a fear of them dropping out of contention. :bored:

It might look that way at first glance, but if you consider the top 7 are covered by 9 points, which is between 5th or 6th place, or 36% of a race win, and compare using the previous scoring system (3 points, 6th place, 30% of a win) then it's not that much different. Even MS is just over a race win behind (1st & between 7th/8th), when on the old points system it would have 1st and a 6th. Whilst the sample is only 3 races that have included wet/dry laps and unreliability (Vettel could easily be on 75/30pts by now), it's clear that changing the points was never going to make much difference.

Slightly if I remember rightly, the intention of the points change was to "make 3rd place challenge 2nd place then the leader", so the key indicator for success here is looking at the overtakes in the top 3 or 4 places. And so far, we have (courtesy of Galahad's Overtaking Analysis Thread...)

Overtaking by position gained:
1st0
2nd1
3rd1
4th1
5th6
6th3
7th3
8th1
9th7
10th7
11th6
12th6
13th3
14th3
15th4
16th9
17th7
18th4
19th5
20th3
21st5
22nd1
23rd0
[td]Position[/td][td]No. of passes[/td]

So the overtaking for positions 1-4 is still much less than elsewhere (apart from 8th - Probably due to the gap between the top 4 teams and the rest). Well done Bernie, another winner :bored:

snowy said:

The thing with that is, I feel that the whole 'Championship would be closer under the old points rule' is a bit of an optical illusion.

Just as you can lose more points by having a bad race, you can also gain them back if you have a big weekend or your rivals drop out.

Really apart from the etra two points places jigging things up at the lower midfield, Really its just status quo. The Only big difference being that the Championship is a little more biased to the people who win more, but even then thats not much different to the old system of 10,6,4.... really

Fans should learn more about F1 before they judge says Mika Hakkinen

"People have to have a deeper and better understanding of F1 and understand what the driver is going through and what the teams are doing,” Hakkinen explained to New Zealands 'Weekend Herald' newspaper.

"They should study it. If you just turn on your television and watch the grand prix and watch people go around and around, it’s boring and you change the channel. The more knowledge you have, the more interesting it is."

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14623?sid=bc4badbc7c90d9d278c97ed87eba41d1

snowy said:
Fans should learn more about F1 before they judge says Mika Hakkinen

"People have to have a deeper and better understanding of F1 and understand what the driver is going through and what the teams are doing,” Hakkinen explained to New Zealands 'Weekend Herald' newspaper.

"They should study it. If you just turn on your television and watch the grand prix and watch people go around and around, it’s boring and you change the channel. The more knowledge you have, the more interesting it is."

http://www.f1technical.net/news/14623?sid=bc4badbc7c90d9d278c97ed87eba41d1

I think that the cognoscenti are probably the lunatics that get up at 6am for the far eastern races :p

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
Speshal said:
I think that the cognoscenti are probably the lunatics that get up at 6am for the far eastern races :p

Or the ones who are up at 4am to watch the eastern Practice sessions! DOH! :)

This is true.............it's an insomniacs' special, the first couple of F1 race weekends.............. :givemestrength: :o :o :o :o :o DOH! ;)

Matthew Little said:
[quote="Andrea_Moda_Rules":366fd2kk]
Speshal said:

Or the ones who are up at 4am to watch the eastern Practice sessions! DOH! :)

This is true.............it's an insomniacs' special, the first couple of F1 race weekends.............. :givemestrength: :o :o :o :o :o DOH! ;)[/quote:366fd2kk]

Hahaha Thats made me chuckle, describes me perfectly LOL

I don't regard myself as an insomniac, in fact I'm the complete opposite, I regard staying up to watch practice and qualifying in the wee small hours as a privilege. I don't have to worry about any idiots phoning me, people knocking on my door, loved ones berating me etc, etc... the list of pros is endless and the only con is that at some point I have to catch up with the sleep I've lost... :thinking: which is actually a pro because I like sleeping at any time of the day or night! :goodday:

Some data related to Q3 times and gaps.

Bahrain				
Pos. Driver Team Q3 Gap
1 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:54.101
2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:54.242 0.141
3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:54.608 0.507
4 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:55.217 1.116

Australia
Pos. Driver Team Q3 Gap
1 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:23.919
2 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:24.035 0.116
3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:24.111 0.192
4 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:24.675 0.756

Malaysia
Pos. Driver Team Q3 Gap
1 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:49.327
2 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1:50.673 1.346
3 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:50.789 1.462
4 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:50.914 1.587

China
Pos. Driver Team Q3 Gap
1 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:34.558
2 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:34.806 0.248
3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:34.913 0.355
4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1:34.923 0.365
5 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:34.979 0.421

So it would seem the gap from Red Bull to the rest is slowly coming down.

Is this due to Red Bull's non existent adjustable ride height system no longer being used?
The others catching up via upgrades?
The circuits suiting the other cars more than Red Bull?

Or a combination of all 3?

Brogan said:
So it would seem the gap from Red Bull to the rest is slowly coming down.

Is this due to Red Bull's non existent adjustable ride height system no longer being used?
The others catching up via upgrades?
The circuits suiting the other cars more than Red Bull?

Or a combination of all 3?

I'm erring on the side of the last two tbh with Mclaren winning the developmental race so far but as i've said before it won't be until we get back to Spain in a few weeks that we see exactly who's developed better over the opening races.

The first point - I saw no discernable difference in the way in which the Red Bull's rode today compared with any other race weekend so far and thats borne out by setting the quickest times through all 3 sectors in China quali. I'm now tempted to agree with Horner and say they never had a system that was adjustable, thats not to say that they may have run different pressures in the dampers prior to the loophole being closed by the FIA.

4 races down and a most unusual start to the season..

One stat jumps out at me as being quite unusual.

4 races - 3 containing 1,2 finishes each by a different constructor!! i'm sure someone will crunch the stats to see if that has ever happened before.

Bharain - Ferrari
Malaysia - Red Bull
China - Mclaren

And still we have yet to see anyone win from pole!

The state of play after race IV

McLaren - surprisingly top despite looking 3rd best at most points. One-two in China. Jenson ahead of Lewis in WDC, through two excellent strategic calls in Australia/China. Undoubtedly 2-2 between the drivers, Jenson has taken advantage of his two races by winning them though.

Mercedes - 4th in WCC with consistent Rosberg in 2nd in WDC. Only driver to score at least 10 points in every race. Schumacher 40 points behind Rosberg, beaten in every race/quali session thus far.

Red Bull - Pole at every race and two front row lockouts. Reliability/racecraft lacking throughout. Vettel well clear of Webber in WDC. Fastest qualifiers but 3rd in WCC. Malaysia showed racing potential, but with McLaren/Ferrari essentially absent from race!

Ferrari - Alonso looked faster than Massa but unlucky to be at 2-2. 2nd in WCC, lucky to win Bahrain GP and tactical calls off in wet. Good pace threatens McL/RB for rest of season though.

Williams - 5 points through Barrichello and 1 from Hulk. RGB had best of qualifying so far but Hulk better in wet quali in Malaysia. Occupying mid-table position customary since 2005.

Renault - Best of the mid-table teams and a clear 5th in WCC. Kubica in 7th within 20 points of JB. At least 10 points in 3 chaotic wet races; made right decisions. RK in Q3 for all races. VP missed out on Q1 at one point, but retirements cost him, first points for first finish in China.

Force India - Sutil also Q3 in all races, usually 10th! Only points for AS in 5th at Malaysia; AS similar pace to Kubica but less results. Liuzzi scored in first 2 races but no Q3 and missed Q1 in China. 6th in WCC.

Toro Rosso - Alguersuari missed Q1 in Bahrain but improved since; both Buemi and JA near fringes of Q3 in each race though didn't break in even in Malaysia. Only points through overtaker JA in Malaysia, ran well in China till apparent problem struck and OTed by 4 and fell back.

Lotus - Best of the new teams, finished both in Bahrain & China. HK out of Q2 due to McF nonsense in Malaysia; generally faster than Trulli. HK even ran in points in China!

Hispania - Miles behind in Bahrain but getting closer and surprisingly reliable after Bahrain with only Senna retiring in Australia. Not last in China! Slowest team, with KC now having edge on Senna II. Improving.

BMWSauber - Worst of the old teams but never Q1 fall guy. Nearly points for dlR in Australia and Q3 for KK in Malaysia. But 7/8 retirements! Patchwork team not yet got going.

Virgin - Mentalist team on the grid. Not enough fuel to usually finish. Glock often beats Lotus in quali, but never finishes, reached Q2 in Malaysia. di Grassi slow but a finisher in Malaysia. Unreliable and a little bit Simtek.

Everyone agree?

TBY, I've merged this with the general 2010 thread as I think it fits quite nicely here.

Your summary is spot on.
It will be interesting to see how it develops from here on with more dry/predictable races.

Congratulations and apologies...
I'm sorry if this is not following any developing theme, or disruptive from not being related to the last post by snowy. But once again, I feel I really should congratulate the author of this article for his simply excellent work.

But my apologies are really for not having noticed this thread before and not using "Clip The Apex" as much as I should! There is so much stuff here to learn, but everything I come across is hitting a level of comprehensive excellence rarely seen.

Thankyou for everyone putting the hours in to make this such a rewarding site to use.
Especially Brogan.

Back
Top Bottom