Football The 2010 Football World Cup Thread

McZiderRed said:
Miss-quoting me Muddy! How very dare you! LOL

Muddytalker said:
Billy Davies' red & white army*! :cheer:

* For those that have forgotten about us, that's twice European Cup Winners but we don't cling to past glories anymore, no siree Bob! Nottingham Forest

"You're Not Famous Any More!" :whistle:

"You're not famous anyway..." :snigger: ;)

McZiderRed said:
So, who does everyone think is going to win? We could have a silly sweepstake! Who will finish 1st, runners up, Third and Fourth?
(Do they still have a losing semi finalists' play-off?)

I believe they still have the 3rd place play offdecider (We don't like to hear the words 'play-off' round here...)

1st Spain
2nd Brazil
3rd Argentina
4th Germany

England knocked out at the QF stage by Spain

Similar to Muddys but I've got it as

1st Spain
2nd Brazil
3rd England
4th Germany

(England defeated by Brazil in Semi's)

Having actually bothered to check the groups and how the knock-out ties will be set up, I'm altering my pred to:-

1st Spain
2nd Brazil
3rd Argentina
4th France

England knocked out at the QF stage by France

Muddytalker said:
"You're not famous anyway..." :snigger: ;)

LOL

We might have been famous for the wrong reasons though... I won't go into the reasons, but the words "1st division to 4th division" and "consecutive seasons" might have something to do with it...

Anyway, back to the predicting... Looking into my teacup :tea: , I'm seeing the names:

1. Holland
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. Chile

I'm not even sure the draw allows for all these teams to get there together, but..

After reading the proverbial tea-leaves and a bottle of Old Forester Signature bourbon, my picks for the Final Four in this year's World Cup.............

Mexico
France
Brazil
Italy

To go even further on a lamb, at the end of the day it'll be America's southern neighbor who'll hoist the World Cup trophy in mud-July............

LOL :givemestrength: :givemestrength: :givemestrength: :o :o :o :o

Muddytalker said:
England knocked out at the QF stage by France

I found a bookies website where you could plug all the group stage results in and it would fill in the last 16 stage and so on as it went. I had a France / England QF which I tipped England to win. If it goes that way we would then face Brazil in the Semis and that's where are journey will end in my opinion.

Again if results go the way I plugged in, perhaps the game of the tournament would be a quarter final match of Portugal V Spain.

McZiderRed said:
We might have been famous for the wrong reasons though... I won't go into the reasons, but the words "1st division to 4th division" and "consecutive seasons" might have something to do with it...

I was going to say the same thing McZ. What a great record (not).

Well, it looks like Didier Drogba and Rio Ferdinand have both picked up injuries today.

As to the severity, not known yet.

I'll be supporting England (obviously) and... CHILE!

Brogan said:
Enja said:
and... CHILE!
Mmmmmm, chile.

With lots of sour cream :D

And crackers. A very American accompaniment but very nice.

Mmmmm. That's got me thinking, Wonder if we've got the makings in the kitchen.

cider_and_toast said:
Mmmmm. That's got me thinking, Wonder if we've got the makings in the kitchen.
We have :D

It's about 30 degrees here though so not exactly the weather for it.

Same here.

But there's always time for a good Chile.

Temperature can be maintained by the careful consumption of a few cold ciders (or substitute drink of choice).

My prediction.

Enja said:
Why couldn't it have been Terry :givemestrength:

It probably will be eventually. I forsee centre-half injuries until we reach the Bramble-zone.

To answer questions I've seen on this thread, there indeed will be a 3rd Place Play-off Decider in Port Elizabeth on 10th July.

Turkey got surprisingly mugged of a play-off place by Bosnia & Herzegovina. Bit unfair since there is two of them, I feel. Wales got a total bugger of a group; but never fear, their Euro2012 group is quite easy - it contains England... :embarrassed:

McZiderRed said:
1. Holland
2. Brazil
3. Spain
4. Chile

Right, not all of Brazil, Spain and Chile will be able to get past Round 2 and the Netherlands are quarter finalist opponents for the winner of ... something like that. For the semis there must be 2 teams from groups A-D and 2 teams from E-H...

Matthew's Mexico prediction could work theoretically, and boy I'd love to see the Mexicans (or anyone else) beat Argentina. If the final is to be Mexico vs France then their group meeting will be interesting!

Galahad, I'm pretty glad Croatia have failed to qualify...

Don't think Spurs should lose too much sleep on losing players, they've only just got into the Champions League so they should have some pulling power and a huge cheque signed M. Platini to pay in.

Looks increasingly likely that "Her name is Rio" Ferdinand is going to take an early bath.

Wouldn't be an England world cup story if at least one of the front line players didn't knacker themselves up in the weeks leading to the tournament. From the rumours on the radio it looks like Emille Hesky was the cart horse responsible for the wayward tackle that did for the England Captain.

Sorry G but if Rio goes home then Michael Dawson of Spurs has got his PJs and Toothbrush packed and ready to go.

Somehow I think the Ivory Coast will be a lot more concerned about loosing Didier Drogba to a broken elbow if the latest reports are to be believed.

I wrote this poem on another forum but I thought I'd post it here too.
[/shameless plug]

Today, on the 4th of June,
Out on the training pitch
Heskey's playing the loon,
Diving into tackles whilst Dunga cackles
Heskey kicking the ball?
Don't make me laugh
Now he's injured Rio
Who needs the ice bath
There's a small problem there,
As Drogba's in it
Injured by Tanaka in the 16th minute,
Who else one wonders
Will fall foul to this plague,
Problems, surely,
That warrant the Hague
For these criminal footballers,
Can't look after themselves
Into the history books we could delve,
Who got injured last time do I see?
Oh yeah, that's right, Wayne Rooney.
Look where that left us,
Right in the shit
Every chance we've had, we've ruined it.
Now Rio's knee has gone,
What will we do, something radical,
Call up Daw-son?

cider_and_toast said:
Looks increasingly likely that "Her name is Rio" Ferdinand is going to take an early bath.

:givemestrength: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

What did I tell you? Now we have Sir Ledley probably playing every game (well, it's him or Upson...!)

And Michael Dawson abandoning his wife (it's their anniversary today btw) to go and warm a bench for four weeks three weeks a fortnight ten days

Both King Ledley and Matthew Upson missed training today. Not surprised that King missed it but its worrying encouraging that Upson might need to go home and be replaced by Phil Jagielka

I hope we avoid the Bramble-zone!

!Almost Breaking News!

It seems the American Ambassador in London has placed a wager with the UK Ambassador in Washington, on this weekend's World Cup match England v USA.
BBC article with the story Ambassadors bet on USA-England World Cup match

The "winning" Ambassador wins a meal, probably steak, courtesy of the losing Ambassador. The two people with the cushiest jobs in the world, probably should up the stakes a bit!! (Pun intended! :tumbleweed: ) How about, the losing Ambassador is expelled! That should spice things up for them... :whistle:

I read that on the news earlier, some of the exchanges were quite witty.

"We will understand if you decline, given the outcome of the last such encounter," a US aide wrote, referring to the US defeat of England in 1950.

A UK aide said Sir Nigel took his steak like that win - "somewhat rare"

:snigger:

Back
Top Bottom