The 2010 Calendar

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
A provisional calendar for 2010 has been released, featuring 18 races.

The season will start in Bahrain and end, as this year, in Abu Dhabi.
Only Canada and Great Britain are, as yet, unconfirmed.

Bernie Ecclestone has said that the British GP will switch to Silverstone if Donington cannot host it.
Canada is still to sign a commercial deal.

Instead of 1 long 4 week break there are going to be 2 3 week breaks between Canada & Europe (June 6-27) and Hungary & Belgium (August 1-22).

Thankfully Valencia and Hungary are no longer concurrent but are separated by Great Britain and Germany.

Also, notice there is no Korea.

Edit: Updated with the latest information from the FIA: 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship

The full provisional calendar is as follows:

14 March	BRN	Bahrain
28 March AUS Australia
04 April MAL Malaysia
18 April CN China
09 May E Spain
23 May MC Monaco
30 May TR Turkey
13 June CDN Canada*
27 June E Europe (Valencia)
11 July GB Great Britain
25 July D Germany
01 August H Hungary
29 August B Belgium
12 September I Italy
26 September SGP Singapore
03 October J Japan
17 October K Korea
31 October AE Abu Dhabi
14 November BR Brazil

And how does that pan out in terms of breaks between GPs?

14 March	Bahrain
2 week break
28 March Australia
1 week break
04 April Malaysia
2 week break
18 April China
3 week break
09 May Spain
2 week break
23 May Monaco
1 week break
30 May Turkey
2 week break
13 June Canada*
2 week break
27 June Europe (Valencia)
2 week break
11 July Great Britain
2 week break
25 July Germany
1 week break
01 August Hungary
4 week break
29 August Belgium
2 week break
12 September Italy
2 week break
26 September Singapore
1 week break
03 October Japan
2 week break
17 October Korea
2 week break
31 October Abu Dhabi
2 week break
14 November Brazil

*Subject to the completion of contract negotiations with Formula One Management. If these are not completed then the Turkish Grand Prix will be moved to 6 June.

Note: The race in Australia will start at 1700 local time, in Malaysia at 1600 local time, in Singapore at 2000 local time, and in Abu Dhabi at 1700 local time.

I know it unlikely but what is Silverstone turn round and go :razz: you can stick your race Bernie. It would put the BRDC in a really strong position to get a good deal out of the little man...

Yeah, Bernie seems to have altered his stance somewhat since earlier in the year when he said if Donington wasn't ready then there wouldn't be a British GP.

As usual he was just spouting rubbish in an attempt to strengthen his position.

Unfortunatly if the BRDC did turn round and say "Oi Stumpy, Shove your race where the sun don't shine" the only people to suffer would be British racing fans. Bernie has already shown on more than enough occasions that he isn't sentimental and it's all about the cash. No British GP just means a slot on the calendar for another middle east emerate with a big check book.

:givemestrength:

Is Hockers confirmed because I thought they pulled out.

My hunch about Canada and the World Cup has been proved utterly wrong! The British GP is on the same day as the World Cup Final, but that'll be at night so the only World Cup/F1 clash will be at the European GP on 27 June, and I'm sure Winners of Group B vs Runners-up of Group A will be appetising enough to miss that particular "race"!

Australia not starting the season? That's a little disconcerting! China moves back to September and we've lost the wonderful Sao Paulo finish again this year, but then again Abu Dhabi will be the neutral territory final that Sao Paulo wasn't last year!

Apparently Gillet has got the funding. Donny away! :cheer:

The FIA have released an updated calendar.

14 March	BRN	Bahrain
28 March AUS Australia
04 April MAL Malaysia
18 April CN China
09 May E Spain
23 May MC Monaco
30 May TR Turkey
13 June CDN Canada*
27 June E Europe (Valencia)
11 July GB Great Britain
25 July D Germany
01 August H Hungary
29 August B Belgium
12 September I Italy
26 September SGP Singapore
03 October J Japan
17 October K Korea
31 October AE Abu Dhabi
14 November BR Brazil

Quite a few changes from the original one released a few weeks ago.
There are 19 races in total, Korea is now included and the last race returns to Brazil.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2009/Pages/wmsc_210909a.aspx

I see that the actual tracks in the official FIA release is still quite vague. It was suggested in earlier releases that should Donny not make the grade in time then Silverstone will host a "European GP" with Valencia then hosting the "Med GP". I wonder if this will still be the case or will they just call as spade a spade and leave it as the British GP where ever they have it?

As far as the FIA's constant drive to cut costs it's good to see that they have added another race to the calendar and another long fly away journey as well. Brilliant. That should reduce team expendature.

LOL

Isn't it the case that Donington now has the rights to the name and therefore Silverstone can't use it, or something silly like that?

And isn't July 11 the football World Cup final?
If so, what are the odds of that race date being changed?

Brogan said:
Isn't it the case that Donington now has the rights to the name and therefore Silverstone can't use it, or something silly like that?

And isn't July 11 the football World Cup final?
If so, what are the odds of that race date being changed?

KO in SA will be around 8pm BST, so no real need to change.

It kicks off at 7:30pm, so no need to worry about that! Unless Bernie wants to make it a night race to try to get viewers away from the biggest TV sports event in the world...

I've just realised this is only the second time that there are 19 races, the last time being 2005.

What happened to the cost cutting?
Or is the income from an additional few races too important for CVC to pay off their debt?

Brogan said:
What happened to the cost cutting?

Cost cutting...

Is it
  • Cutting costs or
  • Cutting costs whilst not tripping over the FOM's feet

I believe that's the easiest question I've ever asked on this site...

There is no FIA Motives Quiz on the horizon!

There's an interesting article on F1-Live.

Canada and Germany are subject to the signing of contracts, Britain's two alternative circuits are not guaranteed races, Spa's racing license has been revoked, and South Korea's new venue is only half built.

Meanwhile, the latest uncertainty surrounds the May 30 allocation for the 2010 Turkish Grand Prix. Istanbul is therefore due to host a race within days of the Monaco Grand Prix, and the logistical impracticality of that prospect has been discussed this weekend by the Formula One Teams' Association.

According to rumours, the most likely outcome is that the race, promoted currently by Bernie Ecclestone but not expected to retain a long-term presence on the calendar, is dropped altogether.
You have to laugh...don't you?

Just days after the official calendar is revealed, Spa loses its licence, there are fresh doubts over Donington and Bernie goes back on his word about Silverstone suggesting the British GP isn't guaranteed to be held there either.

And now FOTA claim there are logistical problems in getting from Monaco to Turkey so it's going to be dropped altogether.
Arguably one of the better "new" circuits, but one which suffers from woefully poor attendance.

So rather than having 19 races on the calendar next year, it could be as low as 14 or 15.

Uncertainties over the 2010 F1 calendar

Now that it would seem the first member of CVC has broken ranks and spoken out against there main man we can only hope that the company wakes up and starts to see that the only way they can make their money back is to work within the system rather than trying to wring every penny from outside of it.

As suggested in another thread I think the countdown to Bernies retirement party has begun.

Can I just ask, will there be any tweaks to the engine rules for 2010 considering there are 19 races (kinda)? 8 engines and 5 gearboxes for 19 races in much heavier cars than present seems like a recipe for disaster, especially with so many fast and hot races at the end of the season. Will there be maybe an extra engine added or something, making every engine last 2 races with just one having to last 3 seems like a more manageable scenario. That said, if the current disaster waiting to happen listed above come to fruition, there could be only 9 races left on the calendar so it works out great :thumbsup:

Also, just to comment on the calendar, I know it sounds like tough work for the mechanics but shouldn't Singapore, Japan and Korea be over successive weekends, it seems unnecessary to go to Singapore then Japan and either fly all the way back home to go back in a week to Korea or stay in the far east for basically a month. Why not have 3 races followed by a 3 week break to Abu Dhabi?

BlackCountryBob said:
Also, just to comment on the calendar, I know it sounds like tough work for the mechanics but shouldn't Singapore, Japan and Korea be over successive weekends, it seems unnecessary to go to Singapore then Japan and either fly all the way back home to go back in a week to Korea or stay in the far east for basically a month. Why not have 3 races followed by a 3 week break to Abu Dhabi?

Methinks that the calendar is not a logistical masterpiece, more of a marketing one - if the far east races were over in a month then the locals may switch off for the rest of the season, and the CVC/powers that be want everybody interested all of the time. Therefore the participants play 2nd fiddle to the marketing managers.

Rational and logical thoughts on the Far East races BCB. Please keep such subversive comments to yourself otherwise Bernie's "Thought Police" will be after you LOL

On the engines, I would prefer to see one engine per race. Given that the engine spec is locked would it really cost that much more (in the grand scheme of things) to have 16 engines rather than 8? I would presume R&D costs are far and away the greatest expense of the engine suppliers rather than manufacturing and if Bernie coughed up another 10% of the cut he takes I bet that would pretty cover the extra cash needed.

Let's hope the intial volleys from CVC develop into something tangible. The threat of the FOTA break away series must have really scared them.

Back
Top Bottom