The 1,000MPH car - Bloodhound!

In all honesty, I don't consider anything that doesn't have the power being transmitted through the wheels to be a "car". To me, all of the Land Speed Records holders since the advent of the "Green Monster" and the "Spirit of America" have been shams. How a glorified coaster, akin to a Soapbox Derby racer, can legitimately be called a car escapes me.

Just for you S_F here's a video of Don Vesco, fastest man in a wheel driven car at 470mph set in 2001. It's a gas turbine engine though.

The record for a piston engine car is held by Tom Burkland at 411 mph set in 2008

The record for a non-turbo or supercharged car is still held by the Goldenrod from 1965

Thanks, FB

I certainly think Burkland's car is much better-looking than any of the coaster cars!

Its test today will be at just over half power, some 14,000lbf
Just worked out that is enough force to lift 6 and a bit tons of the ground vertically.
Cool.

I saw a full size mock up of bloodhound at Leuchars last weekend. What a machine. The hybrid rocket is fascinating technology.
IMG_0011.JPG

Did anyone see Teds Qually Notebook. He had a long interview with Andy Green. Just brilliant enthusiasm and amazing numbers. Worth watching. Andy says ready for running in 18 months.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom