That Seat At McLaren

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't think Hamilton will move to Mercedes. If he does, that will, in my opinion, make it extremely unlikely he will ever win another WDC, and, indeed, race wins will be few and far between. Mercedes has shown few indications that they have what it takes to progress towards the sharp end of the field and seem permanently anchored in upper-midfield. In fact, as time progresses, it makes it seem that the championships that were won as the Brawn team were more a matter of luck than brilliance. To me, it all comes down to Hamilton making this choice: sacks of gold or more WDCs. I expect him to choose the latter.

siffert_fan, maybe all the Merc team needs to start winning is a real (not a has-been or a nearly-man) winning driver...

...but I tend to agree with you, Hamilton's best chance of success must surely be where he is now; the thing is though, have relations with his current team already gone past the point of no return?

I think people are making a bit of a meal of that picture at Spa.

Hamilton's already said he wants to keep his trophies, surely this is an indication that he is primarily concerned with racing. I do wish we would hear some real news of the subject now though, we're past Monza and all we hear is that both parties are in 'critical talks', slightly worrying...

Seeing as Hamilton is out of the subject I think the best candidates for the Macca seat are Perez, di Resta, Hulkenburg or maybe Rosberg (is he tied into a contract?).

Perez is the most appealing candidate on the list, yet he is in the Ferrari driver academy and I wouldn't be surprised if there is already a pre-contract signed (in which Ferrari have all the power).

The next best and most likely candidate (IMO) would be di Resta. He's young, has shown he can peform, has a level head and he's British. Force India have also said they won't stop their drivers from leaving at the end of the season and if he has a strong finish to the season (finish in the WDC top 10) then I think he would stand a strong chance. I also think di Resta has been unfortunate this season, he's seemed a lot more consistent than Hulkenburg (even though he only has one more points finish) but just hasn't had the luck in the races in which Force India has shown real pace. Hulkenburg also still has that pole position from 2010, people remember something like a pole position even though other qualifying performances could have beem relatively better.

Hulkenburg is similar to di Resta. He's German so that's going to please the Mercedes board back in Stuttgart, has shown he has speed, has a great junior record and he also seems to have a sensible head on his shoulders. The only downside is that McLaren have become accustomed to being an 'all-British' team the last few seasons, I'm sure this wouldn't rule out a foreign driver but why not just hire di Resta and keep the PR slant.

If McLaren are consigned to losing Hamilton perhaps they would try a straight swap for Rosberg. He's been touted as a possible WDC by many, he's consistent if unspectacular, German again (Mercedes), he's now had experience in a frontrunning team and I seem to remember his name being thrown around as a replacement for Alonso after 2007.

I've discounted Raikkonen because he wanted a truckload of money in 2009, Massa because he's crap, Grosjean is still to inexperienced, Pastor Crashonado Maldonado (do I really need to say more? LOL), Glock has gone off the boil and Kovalainen had his chance there.

I'm not sure that Petrov can be dismissed out of hand. Admittedly, he has had NO results in F1 but he has been mired in a crap team. He showed great promise in lower formulae and so, I believe that he would be worth a look.

Really? I'd discount him personally. In 2010 (his rookie season granted) he was outscored by Kubica 136 to 27, that's over 5 times. In 2011 he has less points than Heidfeld when the German got the boot. Although in 2012 he seems to finish close to Kovalainen in races he seems to be consistently outqualified, and Kovalainen only took one pole position to Hamilton's eleven between 2008-2009.

I'd go with Di Resta. I think he'd be a perfect fit alongside Button. H'e already quick but I think we've only seen a hint of his potential and I think Buttons experience along with McLarens ability to guide his career would bring real results.

You can rule Perez out.
di Montezemelo has said it is still too early for him to go to Ferrari next year.

Edit: D'oh! Wrong thread.

di Montezemelo also thinks that people spend lunchtime on the beach.

Every time I hear him speak, I think that there should always be someone close by to call for the nurse!

Not that I think he will be there next year really.

As for the McLaren seat, I could see it being one of the FI boys, or as has been said already, maybe Gary Paffett, for a year?

Whatever else I think it would be a major waste of talent if Kovy doesn't land a top drive in the forceeable future.

I think Kovi deserves another shot somewhere and wouldn't be massively shocked to find him land either of those 2. However this season hasn't done him as much good as the other 2 with Caterham as Petrov seems to have the measure of him race wise.

In my opinion there is no real safe pick here for McLaren if this were to happen. Well at least not a good safe pick. Theres either a set or reliable hands that most likely will get destroyed by Button or an unproven driver with lots of potential. Kovi falls in the latter and I would love to see it, but even better would be Kubica! Not gonna happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom