Sources report Trulli has signed a 3 yr deal with Lotus

I think the signing of one experienced driver is a good thing and out of the two names that have been spoken of, Jarno is the most obvious candidate. I think Lotus may view the signing of Kovi and Trulli as a sign that the team is able to attract existing names with a track record to the team and not the pay per drive racers that we though may end up in some seats. I think that they would have been better off signing an experienced man like Trulli and put a young charger alongside him. That way you get the best of both worlds much in the way the Williams have for next season with Rubens and Hulkenberg.

While I can't say I'm over joyed it's better than having JV in the team.

I really can't wait for first practice in Bahrain now.

Bring it on.

I think it's not a bad pairing, considering the calibre of drivers a new team is going to be able to attract.

I don't see that many young drivers that are crying out as being deserving of a race drive. Williams have signed up the best one already; most of the rest are under Red Bull's or Mercedes' wings.

At least with these two they will have a good benchmark for the car, and shouldn't lose time in testing with acclimatisation or avoidable accidents.

GordonMurray said:
At least with these two they will have a good benchmark for the car, and shouldn't lose time in testing with acclimatisation or avoidable accidents.

I think Adrian Sutil would disagree, having had both of them in his sidepods in the last few races last season!

I posted this in the Heikki thread but it applies here also.

This isn't a great move by Lotus IMO.

Both drivers are on 3 year deals and they may help with car development and be able to qualify well but neither of them are great at winning races, even from the front row.

Lotus would have been better off offering shorter contracts so they have the option of getting racers/race winners in after next season, once the team is established.

GordonMurray said:
The common factor in all Sutil's many accidents is Sutil...

Yes, but all Sutil's accidents are not Sutil's fault. Kovalainen was overtaken clean by Sutil at Suzuka, and perhaps because he wasn't used to overtaking being in F1, Kovalainen decided to tip him off. And I defy you to blame Sutil for that mess with Trulli in Brazil!

Brogan said:
Lotus would have been better off offering shorter contracts so they have the option of getting racers/race winners in after next season, once the team is established.

I don't think Lotus will be at the front of the grid after 3 years, tbh, so maybe its not too bad. Then again, even if they are at the front of the grid they're not gonna be winning anything with this lineup. cat, Sundays are going to be hard going next year!

Lotus boss Tony Fernandes believes envious eyes are being cast in the direction of his team following the announcement of their driver line-up for 2010.

Big 'em up Tony. Those ego's need a major inflation if you're gonna get them off life support. :thumbsup:

Does this make CAT the only one of us who ISN'T looking forward to the new season?

No way, I've waited since 1994 for this. Trust me, I'm can't wait. I don't care if we finish near last in every race, just to see the Lotus name back on the grid is good enough for me.

:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom