Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

Actually, that's a different situation, but these are all the incidents where the winner has been disqualified.
  • 1976 British GP - James Hunt finished 1st but was disqualified for restarting in a spare car
  • 1978 Italian GP - Mario Andretti finished 1st but was given a 1 minute time penalty for jumping the start
  • 1980 Canadian GP - Didier Pironi finished 1st but was given a 1 minute time penalty for jumping the restart
  • 1982 Brazilian GP - Nelson Piquet finished 1st but was disqualified for having an underweight car due to an illegal water tank
  • 1985 San Marino GP - Alain prost finished 1st but was disqualified for having an underweight car
  • 1990 Canadian GP - Gerhard Berger finished 1st but was given a 1 minute time penalty for jumping the start
  • 1994 Belgian GP - Michael Schumacher finished 1st but was disqualified for having excessive skid block wear
  • 2008 Belgian GP - Lewis Hamilton finished 1st but was given a 25 second time penalty for gaining an advantage through cutting the final chicane

Montoya Brazil 2001 - ok he didn't have it in the bag, and there was a rainstorm later, but he was looking very good for the win before cutting in ahead of Verstappen as he lapped him & getting rear-ended out of the race. He got caught out the same way later in his career (Turkey/Monteiro, I believe), and I'm fairly sure he's had similar shunts in NASCAR too.

Does anyone know if the same thing happened to him in F3000?

Mansell - Monaco 1984.

Leading a race for the first time after lap 9 he held on to his lead until he binned it into the barrier on lap 15. He lost control of the car on a painted line in the wet and it pretty much guarenteed that he would loose his Lotus drive at the end of that season. At the time of his accident he had been pulling away from second placed Prost by around 2 seconds a lap. It also prompted Lotus boss Peter Warr to claim that Mansell would not win a race so long as he (Warr) "had a hole in his arse".

Actually, that's a different situation, but these are all the incidents where the winner has been disqualified.
  • 1976 British GP - James Hunt finished 1st but was disqualified for restarting in a spare car
  • 1978 Italian GP - Mario Andretti finished 1st but was given a 1 minute time penalty for jumping the start
  • 1980 Canadian GP - Didier Pironi finished 1st but was given a 1 minute time penalty for jumping the restart
  • 1982 Brazilian GP - Nelson Piquet finished 1st but was disqualified for having an underweight car due to an illegal water tank
  • 1985 San Marino GP - Alain prost finished 1st but was disqualified for having an underweight car
  • 1990 Canadian GP - Gerhard Berger finished 1st but was given a 1 minute time penalty for jumping the start
  • 1994 Belgian GP - Michael Schumacher finished 1st but was disqualified for having excessive skid block wear
  • 2008 Belgian GP - Lewis Hamilton finished 1st but was given a 25 second time penalty for gaining an advantage through cutting the final chicane

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but did were potential jump starts not during the race, or were these exceptions? Seems staggering. Clearly enough time to do it, and simple video technology.

One that I am really surprised that's not on here is Belguim 1998, Schumacher nearly lapping the whole field until he ran into the back of Coulthard who lifted off round a bend...

Gotta love Murray's commentray "OOOH GOD!!!!!" and the fact that Schumacher can drive the car in three wheels in the wet!

Also like to add, Raikkonen nearly every race in 2005...

Alonso Hungry 2006

Was leading the wet race in Hungry by a good margin until he pitted for dry tyre's and the pit crew forgot to put a wheel-nut on one of them and he came out of the pit and ended up parking his car up at either turn 1 or 2, can't remember now. But if it hadn't been for that Jenson Button wouldn't have won that race and Alonso would have IMHO.

He was?
I can't remember that! Mind you it was 5 years ago.
It's a shame the FOM ban full races of GP's on You tube as i'd love to be able to watch that race again.

Back
Top Bottom