Sky vs BBC F1 Coverage

What Lau in Shanghai last week said BBC was better coverage than SKY because they actually try to get close into the paddock and the forum etc

SKY basically offered most of the guys from the BBC more money and they went with it not that I blame them if their boss Barbara Slater stitches up everyone up for bending over backwards for SKY.

SKY have got more resources seeing they are paid massively from global sports coverage and can do advertising. Whereas the BBC relies on the TV licence and few other deals not as lucrative

As for EJ and DC.. EJ is brilliant because he says what he thinks and still has a great humour. He's not afraid to be over critical if he feels it warrants it whereas DC is slightly make sure he does not tread on too many people's toes at times

They compliment each other well which is what you need if you want two summarisers - a team owner and a race driver not two journalists or two drivers which ITv did have

I think this debate should come to an end really. We should all be grateful that 2 channels actually want to show F1. Yes one shows all the races live and the other only has 10 races live and 10 highlighted. But come on how many countries around the world have two channels showing F1? I can't think of any!

But that's not the way I see it. This is a season long comparison of what service each provides to the viewer, comparisons can be made for each race. Sometimes BBC might provide better service live v Sky, sometimes the fact that they've got time between the race and their show might give them better insights into the race. The debate will run and run, I'm sure; and I'm going to weigh it up at season end when I can tot up the money I've spent and weigh it against the product I've consumed.

It's not as great as you think, 1 is the BBC, the other is a Belgian one which I'm not even sure of if they still broadcast F1 (and F1 takes a backseat to other sports there so it sucks anyway) and the other 2 have adverts during the race :p

I think this debate should come to an end really. We should all be grateful that 2 channels actually want to show F1. Yes one shows all the races live and the other only has 10 races live and 10 highlighted. But come on how many countries around the world have two channels showing F1? I can't think of any!

Lots actually...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters

From that list only Abu Dhabi, Croatia and a bit of Spain get completely free coverage like BBC last year.

I thought the GP2 race was on Sky at 10 this morning but the gp legends programme is on instead. Anyone know why? Am I missing something? Could be a misprint in autosport maybe? Or the live feed's been disrupted by protestors?? :o

I watched Mega Factories - Williams F1 on the Sky F1 channel yesterday. Brilliant program, if you haven't seen it have a watch.

A few races in I watched BBC last week as the other half doesn't have Sky, but I think Sky are doing a really really good job. Firstly channel that shows racing 24hours a day - in HD?? No brainer. Where they have longer coverage we also get to see a good spread of features on most of the teams up and down the grid without the focus on the old favourites.

Personally my only gripe is that Georgie bird - why is she there (apart from the obvious), Ant can do the cheesy analysis himself surely? Bit of overkill on the presenting team. Apart from that I'm pleasantly surprised. No EJ and Red Bull loving DC can only ever be a bonus.

Not sure if I am about to get a load of disagreements about this but I was disappointed with the sky commentry - well crofty to be honest. I found myself shouting at the tv a good few times as he called the wrong driver. I never listened to him really when he was on 5live but so far this season he has been ok. I know its a hard job, live on air to get everything correct but there were too many for it to go unnoticed today.

The BBC highlights package was terrible - only about 45 mins of racing out of a 1hr 20m programme, and it was poorly edited.

Not sure if I am about to get a load of disagreements about this but I was disappointed with the sky commentry - well crofty to be honest. I found myself shouting at the tv a good few times as he called the wrong driver. I never listened to him really when he was on 5live but so far this season he has been ok. I know its a hard job, live on air to get everything correct but there were too many for it to go unnoticed today.
I was shouting at Crofty too! Far too many mistakes; his worst effort so far.

Back
Top Bottom