Sky vs BBC F1 Coverage

Sky need to change a couple of things. The formation lap stuff must go ASAP, and the Skypad is not utilised as effectively as it is by Gary Neville on Monday football. But overall, they do seem quite professional. For example, they haven't flashed up the wrong WCC...

Just my opinion but I don't like EJ I don't like DC and I don't like JH I don't mean as people but as presenters EJ talks shit DC talks Red Bull and JH should have stuck to kids programs.

Also I don't like the fact that the BBC sold the broadcasting rights to sky..

That's it really...

As for Sky the commentary team is great the pit lane team is great and the skypad analysis with Natelie Pinkhem and Anthony Davidson is top notch although they could make more use of it...... And I get a load of options on the red button far more than the BBC ever had.

Edit

Also Sky show the full Formula two and F3 series live..

I switched over to the Beep for the chinese GP .........................................................For about 5 mins, then switched back

I prefer the format of it on sky to that of the BBC. BBC coverage somehow seems bland in comparison.

Just one more thing I'm a big Jenson Button fan yet even I find the BBC's JB bias cringe worthy and intolerable...
You haven't watched BBC MotoGP, 'Cal Crutchlow this Cal Crutchlow that, I hope he gets past Dovi, Cal Crutchlow mmm will you marry me?' But back to F1,
Jake is excellent and gets a lot of unfair stick for being a children TV presenter, he has adapted well and now seems very knowldgable about F1 now, EJ when he isn't talking about nothing is a good pundit and has a nice love/hate relationship with DC who doesn't talk about Red Bull near as much as you would think as mentioned on here. He is also one of the best co-commentators I've heard and he works well with Ben, but as I have said many times, he had a much better chemistry with Martin than Martin with the other DC. I'm watching the formation lap on Sky right now to see what all the ocmplaints are about the formation lap thing. Simon Lazenby seems to be settling in more but he still seems quite tense and nervous, Damon Hill is just extremely boring and I would much rather them have Herbert every race, he was fun especially poking fun at Brundle. Ant in the Skypad is pretty ridiculous, he would be much better wondering the pits with the others but did have an awkward encounter with Simon when he came down, Georgie Thompson might be clueless but she looks good so I'm not complaining!

Ben Edwards is like a nail on a blackboard. Shrill and intolerable. Simon Lazenby looks like he doesn't like being there. Misled Ted K and only slightly less Inane James A are like clones of each other ... better journalists than TV personalities. Eddie J just is ... for comedic effect. Cuddles Coulthard, Martin B and Gerry, sorry, Gary A are the only three who seem to really have a handle on current F1. Johnny Herbert should try watching replays in real time and remember what it is like to be in the cockpit of a slug. Ant D knows his stuff as do the young drivers who guest in the commentary box (very impressed with Jaime - reminded me of Karun's excellent punditry). I could go on, but ...

... oh and the Skypad is bollocks. Presenteritis gone mad. Other than that I really don't see a great deal of difference between the basic formats since Sky have purloined that from the Beeb as well as Martin B and Crofty. The only reason Sky has any kind of edge comes from their ability, at the moment, to dedicate a channel. Question is ... is it sustainable?

p.s. I haven't forgotten the mandatory eye candy. Please can we have some intelligent women who will ask meaningful questions. How is it that out of a population that comprises over 50% female we get this handful of, well sorry but, not-good-enoughs. Sorry ladies, but contrary to popular mythology, gentlemen prefer intelligence.

Fenderman isn't human...he's like batman, spiderman and superman...all put together with a giant Afro. :)

I see this Sky vs BBC going on for a long time, I'm a but disappointed in the Classic GP's that the BBC put up, just one race it is now.

With regards to the viewing figures for both channels I would be interested to see what happens when there is a run of "normal time" races. It will be interesting to see the amount of viewers sky get when its just them showing, and then for a weekend when they dont. I think its fair to say they will lose some viewers, but I wonder whether its a larger or small amount.

Does anyone one know how they actually work out the viewing figures? If, like me, you channel hop a bit then which channel gets the viewing figure?

One more thumbs up for Sky F1...

I was able to watch 'Senna' last night. Fantastic film; brought back many memories and further insights into the man's character.
And while watching, it occurred to me that the commentators this season have been waxing lyrical over this wonderful new device, the 'helmetcam', yet I've seen little so far to beat the drama of the in-car shots from Senna's era, shot in the eighties & nineties without the benefit of HD (and broadcast in the UK by the BBC).

Back
Top Bottom