Sky vs BBC F1 Coverage

I'm pretty certain they had no idea he was such a big BBC fan and especially pro-BBC over Sky F1. I'm guessing that as the BBC has a very strong prescence overseas and especially in the Far East, that he was just ecstatic to actually be interviewed by them at all.

Also, it's hardly surprising they pulled a random fan out for an interview. They talk to the fans all the time, especially on the F1 Forum.

Ok I’ve watched two races from SKY and now one on the BBC.

For the (whole) race I feel there’s little difference, both the commentary teams are good but id say the beebs are better. Martin and the other DC I’ve always liked but for some reason don’t seem as great together as they were apart (still good though). But Ben Edwards with the real DC (please stand up, please stand up) were brilliant, I’ve always like Ben Edwards and DC seems much better with him. I actually forgot MB wasn’t commentating before the warm up lap had finished, I really thought id miss him.

The rest, well Eddie is still very annoying at times but I like Jake, I feel he gets an unfair amount of criticism from some because he use to be a children’s TV presenter.. so what! We all started somewhere! And an hour and a half build-up on SKY is far too long and boring and I hate the stupid music on the warm up lap, did they do that again this race? Even an hour on BBC often feels too long, 45 minutes would be the most for me.

So, so far the BBC is the better for me…. except when they have highlights, doesn’t matter how good the BBC are with highlights anyone who shows the whole race live will easily be the winner over them.

the other DC I’ve always liked but for some reason don’t seem as great together as they were apart (still good though). But Ben Edwards with the real DC (please stand up, please stand up) .
The other DC is catching on! Just reminding you I started it!

I haven't fully watched BBC, but I watched their highlights for two races (only a little of it though). In Australia, I thought Ben Edwards and Coulthard where quite good, but come Malaysia, Edwards became very irritating and was like what Legard was in his first full season with Jaw Man having to correct or tell him what's going on several times in one lap.

I have never liked Jake Humphrey, and doubt I ever will, his banter is usually the shame, he tries to take the piss out of Eddie Jordan the owl at every oppurtunity, getting a bit distasteful after 3 years. Then there's the "shirt" banter, which now has just lost it's thing, i'm surprised they don't go own about his sweaty armpits that he had in (Malaysia or Singapore?) a few years ago.

I haven't seen Gary Anderson, but I like Ted Kravitz, he's always been quite good, and is quite funny too.

I always used to watch the build ups on ITV, and then BBC for the first 2 years, but ever since last year, I don't pay attention to their build ups that much at all, same could be said for Sky. The forum is pretty bad aswell, they interview the same drivers three times from the actual programme to the end of the forum, same with Sky. BBC always interview the same people outside the drivers.

As for the Sky commentray, I just don't like Croft, I don't really notice during the race, but when they show a clip of the race afterwards, he really does irritate me. Don't think they are getting the best out of Brundle, I think DC was the ideal commentray partner for Brundle, the first few races last year they were talking casually as mates but they got better.

F1Times on twitter:
Chinese GP viewing figures: BBC1+HD 4.1m peak, Sky 0.85m peak
Wow. Was that live or are they quoting the BBC re-run later in the day?
Basically, is that like for like broadcast comparison? If so, Sky got their arse handed to them!

Basically, is that like for like broadcast comparison? If so, Sky got their arse handed to them!

Not much of a contest, when ones a terrestrial channel, and the other you have to fork out considerable amount of money for.

Might be a bigger gap when the free one’s on at a better time of day too. People who’ve paid for SKY F1 will probably get up for the early races, where as on the free channel there’s probably a lot of casual viewers who don’t.

Hence why I asked if it was a like for like broadcast comparison...

The BBC has a nice habit of comparing apples and oranges, as they did in Australia - spouting off about the highlights program figures which you cannot compare to the live viewing figures.

Not much of a contest, when ones a terrestrial channel, and the other you have to fork out considerable amount of money for.

If you're talking pure numbers though, those who predicted a massive drop in viewing figures for live broadcasts were quite right. I'll be interested to see the figures for the next Sky exclusive race to see what the damage is for audience reach. If they hit those figures regularly surely someone, somewhere, will ask the question about the 3-4 million viewers they're missing out on live.

Gary Anderson is really knowledgeable and his insights are pretty good, but he's as dynamic as a goldfish. Plus the few times there was a team radio while he was talking he just kept talking through it which really annoyed me. Ted usually paused when that was the case.

I agree with the Gary Anderson point - great insight and knowledge, about as interesting as Ferris Beuller's teacher.

James Allen should go back to the pits for BBC, he is the pit lane reporter they need as he actually can find out strategy info and things like that, he is the original Ted Kravitz
I think sky are around 0.2 less than Oz? I'll search for it

I think there was around 2m for the live broadcast in China last year.
I'm sure the 2012 figures included the repeat?
BBC — crap

Sky — can't fault it

Thems wot I call the 2 C's
Would you like to elaborate? My opinion is that, after seeing both channels through one way or another, the punditry team of the BBC is far better than the Sky team. Of course, there is an element of experience, but if you pay £x per month surely you would expect quality punditry? Whilst the BBC pundits have chemistry and influence in the paddock, and it's good to have fun between the (immensely knowledgeable) pundits and teams. DC and EJ have improved markedly, and they aren't afraid to ask the big questions. However, the sky team look strained and tense, and lacking in influence - despite having the excellent Martin Brundle and (mostly) Damon Hill; although I expect that over time, these aspects would improve.Simon Lazenby is a weak link in my view, he doesn't seem as knowledgeable about F1 as Jake and is lacking some spark in front of the screen. As for the commentary teams, BE/DC are excellent, as are Croft/MB (although Croft can talk some nonsense - MB is F1 royalty as always, although he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself as much as he was previously). With the pit-lane reporting, Ted is fantastic (a good steal for Sky), but Lee Mckenzie is far better at her job than Pinkham. Gary Anderson is excellent as a reporter - although he may need to improve on his elocution skills. I've learnt more from him with a bit of paper and pen than Sky's snazzy graphics and stupid 'Skypad' thing, which is totally pointless. Thompson, whilst being visual candy, stands there like a sour lemon whilst Davidson analyses 'key points' of the f1 weekend. And another thought, I had the (perceived) misfortune of listening to radio 5live with James Allen for the Ozzie GP weekend, but was pleasantly surprised - he is much better suited to radio than TV, and Alguersuari is an excellent analyst.
So I think that it's a bit extreme to call the BBC's coverage crap and Sky's faultless - the only thing that is better about Sky f1 is the fact that it has all the races live (and Ted & MB - although they have been well replaced). In all other areas (including the race commentary), the BBC coverage is superior to Sky's.

Back
Top Bottom