Sky vs BBC F1 Coverage

Some interesting TV viewing figures in last week's Autosport. The one that struck me most was that, among viewers with access to both Sky and BBC, 53% have chosen to watch the simultaneous live broadcasts on Sky.

So 47% of people who stump up money to watch F1 on Sky don't bother to? Or do they record it to watch later?

gethinceri - I can't argue with your arithmetic, but I don't have any more information about why they do this, nor what they might do later.

I'm in the 47% myself, as it happens.

Interesting that, but I wonder whether they're only accounting for those who watch live, in which case I then also count as one of the 47% around 50% of the time.

I read the same article in this weeks Autosport and got the feeling they were trying to talk up the figures. The title says F1 TV figures holding up and the sub headline says "Race-Share deal between BBC and Sky has not had a major effect on overall TV Audience".

I'm not so sure.

Apart from an increase of 1.3 Million viewers this year for the Australian GP (I wonder if Autosports figures include the BBC Re-run of the GP after the live Broadcast on Sunday morning, I'm willing to bet they don't) and an increase of .1 million for the Malaysian GP the figures don't look so clever.

There is an increase of 1.2 million for this years Bahrain GP over last years Turkish GP but then for the next 7 GP's the figures go, Down .7 Million, Down 1.3 Million, Down 3 Million, Up .4 Million, Down 1.1 Million, Down .9 Million and Down .3 Million.

So all in all, we've had on large rise in figures for the first GP, two small rises, one GP where it's not really fare to compare and then 6 pretty siginificant drops in viewing. There are some explenations such as the British GP / Wimbledon final clash and the late running Canadian GP from last year picking up a larger audience that wouldn't have normally watched however, even GP's where there are no real conflicts are still showing drops.

There is no way that at the end of the deal (2017) that Sky will want the share deal to continue so you can bet that they will bid for exlcusive rights from that point on. As we know, they have far more financial muscle than the BBC, ITV etc so you can expect from that point on that Free to View F1 will be reduced to a Sunday evening highlights package (just like the good old days).

Of course, none of that matters because F1 is a global brand and in order to maintain it's income it has to open itself and it's sponsors to newer markets. A drop of viewing figures in traditional areas doesn't really matter.

At least the football page is updated several times a day...

A) It was the first weekend of the season
B) Football is more widely supported than F1 - if you average the attendance to 40,000 per match, that's 400,000 people watching the premiership live every weekend - How many were at Silverstone?
C) There's been bugger all going on in F1 during the off season

A) It was the first weekend of the season
B) Football is more widely supported than F1 - if you average the attendance to 40,000 per match, that's 400,000 people watching the premiership live every weekend - How many were at Silverstone?
C) There's been bugger all going on in F1 during the off season

A) :dunno: (as close to a shrug as I could find)
B) Ordinarily approximately 320,000 over the weekend, at a single venue, over three days.
C) Most other sites still have updates on a variety of things of F1.

Oh I know and wholeheartedly agree, the second they lost out to sky the white flag was raised, cut the coverage by half, cut the staff in half,

Back
Top Bottom