Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

An interesting comment from Whitmarsh in his interview on the f1.com site:

Martin Whitmarsh said:
He told me right after Singapore and I am pretty sure he hadn’t made up his mind until after Singapore - the Monday or Tuesday after Singapore.

That suggests the retirement in Singapore was the final straw for Hamilton.

It does indeed, but what each and all might take away from that will be various and, probably, inaccurate.

In a perverse way, I am happy that he has moved on - a new chapter for him and, also, for his fans.

Whitmarsh is doing a lot of speculating. Lewis has already said that he finalised his decision whilst taking a break after Singapore.and that up until that point he was vacillating between the two options, during that break he felt his mind going to Mercedes and not changing back.
Whitmarsh also speculates that Lewis is regretting the decision and he hopes Lewis will regret it next year,

"I hope today he thinks he's made an awful mistake and I hope he thinks that next year"

Not a very charitable thought, he could just have wished Lewis well.. Lewis meanwhile says he has no regrets.

I think the regrets next year will belong to Whitmarsh, not to Hamilton.

It would be fair to assume that both Hamilton and Whitmarsh are not being totally honest - in theory they are both 'grown-ups' and undoubtedly, they both have their own agenda. So, if we can be arsed, we should make of it what we will and leave it at that.

There are now five or six sites with articles saying Hamilton is regretting his decision, and all based on a supposition from Whitmarsh.
Lewis has said that his decision was not based on money, though the initial offer from Mclaren to cut his salary was probably a kick in the teeth to him and started him thinking is he really valued? Lewis does not waste his money, I've heard he's very frugal ( relatively) doesn't invest in the usual play boy yachts and planes that some drivers rush to purchase. He is far more concerned about being successful and contributing to that success. Alonso was on more money by a huge amount last year than any other driver, but do you think he went to Ferrari for the money? I think not.

Mercedes would likely have had both cars scoring last race but for Nico being taken out and Schumacher picking up a puncture a few laps from the end. Mercedes have given up on this years car and are working on next years. Lewis should have no regrets after the catalogue of disasters from McLaren, and if he does its up to him to say so not for Whitmarsh to speculate and make uncharitable comments.

Would this count as a catalogue of disasters?
  1. Gearbox fails when in third position
  2. Second position thrown away when wheel not fitted at pitstop
  3. DRS failure sees elimination from Q1
  4. Fuel pressure failure sees a third retirement
  5. ...and a fourth soon follows when the DRS fails in the open position
And all of this in just seven races, after which the car is underdeveloped and becomes slow.
That grass is always greener racecub.

We know that Mercedes (formerly Brawn) know how to go about winning championships if they build a car for the job (which they have done recently). On the flip-side, we have seen McLaren build championship contending cars and not make any headway with them in terms of filling up the trophy cabinet.

Everything gets thrown in the air for 2014 and Lewis, I feel, has moved to the best available team able to give him a championship if they can get ahead with their car. They have done it before in recent time and there is no reason why they couldn't do it again.

Yes Jen, there's always an if, always a gamble. if McLaren had been reliable this season they may have two championships in their pocket, always an if.
@ teabagyokel I'd say your list constitutes a leaflet rather than a catalogue :D but seriously it's not just a case of the grass is greener. There are several considerations influencing Lewis decisions. It was a very difficult decision , not made on a whim.

Personally, I have just seen Mercedes move backwards since 2009... They have had 1 great season (2009), where the Brawn won everything, but even over that season, the team was going backwards. Then they've finished 4th, 4th, and this season look to be finishing 5th!.... Over the course of the season as well, Mercedes have proved unable to develop a car - this season, they started with a very fast car (4th and 7th in qualifying in Melbourne, 1st and 2nd in China), but have gone systematically further down the grid since then, with regularly having at least 1 of the 2 cars (if not both) failing to make it into Q3. Personally, I would be more concerned about Mercedes following Honda's trajectory than reclaiming their glory of 2009.

If I was Hamilton, I would be regretting my move - certainly, it seems like an odd move to make - he may have been better off moving to Lotus (the Enstone team), or alternatively negotiating with Red Bull for a possible 2014 seat..... (of course that might have meant taking a year at either a lesser team, or alternatively taking a sabbatical! Personally, I think it would have been interesting to see him in a Williams for a year!

Jen

If I do A, B might happen and if I do C, D might happen. there is never a decision that does not involve an "if". A decsion without an "if" is not a decision at all.

My point is, and it involves "ifs", that Lewis' motivation for a move was most likely based on culture and approach to racing rather than what this year's car is like. After all, none of the drivers in any teams will be driving this year's cars next year and the cars will be a huge departure from the current ones.

Perhaps he will be let down by Mercedes, but he has been let down repeatedly at McLaren. I think he would have been a mug to stay. The environment at Mclaren does not seem healthy in terms of nurturing his racing spirit and ability and getting the most out of it. Only time will tell whether he has made the right decision or not, but for the moment it seems very sensible.

Back
Top Bottom