Poll Should Verstappen have got a penalty?

Should Verstappen have got a penalty for his move on LeClerc in Austria?

• Total voters

RasputinLives

No passing through my dirty air please
Contributor
So the result of two websites polls on whether Verstappen should have got a penalty for his move on LeClerc in Austria were shown in the main discussion thread. They had different results from each other. That in mind I thought I'd put it out there to Clip The Apex to see what we all think and give the casting vote.

One week to vote. Yes or no is the answer. No re-runs, people's vote or dragging on for 3 years! ;)

The rule is that if two cars are level at a corner that neither driver will push the other off the track. They were level, Verstappen did not leave the required space for Leclerc to stay on the circuit so Verstappen was at fault. Talk of the driver on the outside having to drop back is ridiculous.

I have no quarrel with Verstappen getting the win but he should do it fairly.

no penalty

I assumed considering how rules are applied we would get another controversial penalty. we need to change the rule to a deliberate act. neither were deliberate neither need penalties. the Vettel/Hamilton & Verstappen/Leclerc battles are what we all want to see & what we've have all tuned in for

No but then I didnt think Vettel or Riciardo deserved penalties in the last 2 races.
May be they should have penalised Leclerc for exceeding track limits.

Voted yes because of the penalties handed out in the last 2 races.

Verstappen knew what he was doing. What was Leclerc supposed to do to avoid this so called "racing accident"? Hit brakes and stop racing? Based on treatment of Vettel in most recent, just as in past races in similar situations, Verstappen not only got away (again) with gross aggression by banging rival off the track, but was praised for it.

Vettel did not touch Hamilton in Canada, and got 5 sec plus 2 demerit points. As a fan of Vettel, I am angry as he**, and last thing I want to hear right now, it was (suddenly) a racing accident, and we need to forgive this nice boy.

FiA is IMO a disg**** organization, and some fans should...forget it, waste of time.

I've voted for punishment, and want to add, once all drivers can behave the same way, unburdened by subjective calls from sidelines, then I change my vote.

I voted yes for the simple reason that other drivers in that kind of situation have been penalised, to not hand one down seems to me to be unfair as it's not consistent.

The way Max was driving he'd have passed Leclerc anyway, that was obvious, but to do it the way he did was unnecessary. He all but barged him off the track, he even touched wheels with him at least twice that I saw. Would other drivers have got away with that? Based on what we've seen recently, no they wouldn't.

That is the only reason I think it was wrong to allow Max to do so this time.

the thing is that 2 wrongs dont make a right & ferrari have every right to be furious. because vettel shouldn't be punished. also if you leave door open he will go through & should've admitted defeat at the 2nd picture as i supported leclerc since GP2 but it was too ambitious

Screenshot_20190701-095028.jpg
Screenshot_20190701-094945.jpg

This is the type of move Schumacher use to do and get away with it . LeClerc could have made Verstappen go round the outside. I feel for Charles but he gave a gap to go for .

Bitter pill to swallow seeing Verstappen banging his wheels against Ferrari, while having 2 car widths free road next to him, and getting away with it. I recall that ugly Mexican race in which Ricciardo was following closely Vettel, and suddenly screaming in crying voice - he has touched me, making sure Whiting heard it, and of course rest is history. FiA surely is running some kind of a flexible law rule book.

Masi about meeting of stewards:
"The hearing itself, give or take, was about an hour with all parties involved," he revealed. "The stewards deliberated, looked at other cases, precedents, and spoke between themselves.
Mr. Masi, give us courtesy and don't...just don't...,please. One insult about every weekend after weekend is just too much for some of us.

Yea, the results of this pole with 16 responses match the GPToday pole (with over 10,000).

There is a rule issue here that needs to be resolved one way or the other.

I found outrages that this maneuver - diving into a corner with excessive speed, and as a result crossing path with other car- is a one which we can find almost in every race, yet after a few decades of dealing with it, FiA still today needs 1 hr discussing it. Discussing what, exactly? These are your f****n rules FFS, and if it is not clear to you in 10 seconds watching video, and you need 1 hr to agree on answer, how are drivers in high speeds suppose to do a right thing in those situations? Verstappen said in Canada, that Vettel was right, he did not agree with stewards, and he proved the point yesterday.

Nothing will change, IMH pessimistic opinion. To borrow Maher's analogy, FiA is like a mail box. You can send a mail, but it will not be received and opened, because mailbox is full, and no one is interested in reading anything in it.

Last edited:
No Titch, not a lone voice. I agree with you.

If this was any other series it would be wheel banging, rubbing is racing, hard battles.

Why F1 has got so precious is a mystery to me.

As I've posted elsewhere, Vettel shouldn't have been penalised in Canada.

Unless it's a risk to life and limb then leave them alone.

I kind of get Vettels penalty though, either he was in control and deliberately crowded another car after leaving the track, gaining an advantage doing so. Or he wasn't in control and what happened was dangerous. Either way he buggered it up, went off track and got himself penalised.

Verstappen was very different, as LeClerc left the door wide open and he chucked one up the inside, which is how racing happens. And iirc Rosberg got penalised for not really even bothering to turn in, was it Horner who said "he was waiting until he reached Germany to turn in"

Why F1 has got so precious is a mystery to me.

As I've posted elsewhere, Vettel shouldn't have been penalised in Canada.

Unless it's a risk to life and limb then leave them alone.

this all day long. unless its really bad & obvious. penalty but its rules that are wrong because so many people i see say i don't want a penalty but the rules. rules need changing or made more lenient

but im same i dont get why F1 has become oversanitized. we all tune in for this action & the 2 times it happens we want a penalty

I kind of get Vettels penalty though, either he was in control and deliberately crowded another car after leaving the track, gaining an advantage doing so. Or he wasn't in control and what happened was dangerous. Either way he buggered it up, went off track and got himself penalised...
I am lost how Vettel gained advantage. If anything, exactly opposite is true. He was in the front, and he ended up in the front. No gain in that. Excursion on grass cost him time, and condition of his tires did not improve, that's a safe bet.

Back
Top Bottom