Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

He got carried away punting people out of the way more or less every time he pulled that move and he thought he could keep on getting away with it. Had he learned from the previous contacts and near misses he might have exercised better judgement. His driving on Sunday was quite inspired but he let himself down. In fact, had he learned anything from his tussles with Jenson earlier in the season his driving on Sunday would have been even more exciting and better than it was.

I hope he reflects on his driving this season, and on Sunday in particular, and that he realises that, at best, he was on the margins of acceptable behaviour when he got away with it and way past acceptable when he didn't.

Schumacher was the same, the difference was that Michael recognised which drivers would move out of his way (Coulthard, Barrichello, Hakkinen) and which wouldn't (Villeneuve, Montoya). Sergio needs to learn, at the very least, that while Button will move, Kimi certainly won't.

Another driver famous for forcing drivers to make a decision about moving out of the way was Senna. Do we want all the drivers to fall into line and wait their turn or do we want the risk takers to spice things up?
Ultimately his mistakes cost him valuable points but at least we he was trying to race.
Checo may have misjudged a couple of the overtakes but the cheeky one against Button at the chicane was superb.

I'm not sure that anyone is arguing against the reasonable moves that worked but really there has to be some circumspection and self control.

I don't have an issue with Perez throwing it around they way he does... he is in a bus that is slowly being developed into a mini-bus ... new reg's coming next season... he could easily be out on his ear at the end of this season ... kids gotta let it all hang out ... McLaren being a basket case this season he has to out drive the car's potential...

With Monaco being Monaco it amplifies any mistakes or misdeeds... unfortunately for JB he has blinked a few races back, so he knows he has his number ... the other two incidents... Alonso ... will race you hard but will let any four smoking Pirelli shod car under him in WDC damage limitation mode... Kimi ... in the same boat as Alonso but tried to disencourage the move ... unfortunately Perez didn't get the memo and/or it was too late by then...

I think the luckiest guy in all of the weekend's misadventures was Romain "Let's Dry Hump a Toro Rosso" Grosjean to be honest... without Checo he would be in the spotlight.... again.... and a little tip of the hat, wag of the finger goes to young Max for Maldonado-ing Maldonado ...

I think it means something is so bad that it is actually good... Such as Eddie the Eagle or that swimmer bloke on the 2012 Olympics what's his name....

Oi Perez come 'ere,
face-slap.gif

Back
Top Bottom