Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

Well done to the guy, perhaps a touch aggressive although Button's comments about him after the race were perhaps a little unfair and more than a hint of sour grapes. Brundle during commentary put at least 50% of the blame on Button. Whitmarsh said that apart from nudging Button and losing part of the wing the rest of the racing was ok, which is good to hear.

True that Fenderwoman, but I do think Button was slower than nomal through that corner, and of course Perez a little too eager.

I wouldn't blame Perez 100%.

I can't blame Perez for being caught out there. Afterall, Button was trying to catch him out. Perez put their results at jeopardy by trying to overtake a slower Button and Button put their results at jeopardy by trying to keep at bay a faster Sergio.

Pérez pushed his luck too far today.
He was on for a great finish and some decent points and ended up with nothing.

He needs to calm down and take less risks.

Perez must have thought "we're going really slow it won't hurt if bump them out of the way" and later "it's not my fault there was a gap for at least half a car ...". Still his problem is his aggression which can be trained out of him ... perhaps.

Personally I think Grosjean's problem is more fundamental and probably incurable. He lacks spatial awareness and seems to be incapable of knowing where he is in relation to his surroundings. The way he was distracted when passing Hamilton leaving the pits in his crash on Saturday was symptomatic of that.

In fairness to Perez the only possible overtake in Monaco is the reckless overtake. You try your luck a few too many times and it'll end in tears.
As FA said after the race Perez was up against two WDC contenders who were always more likely to avoid confrontation than he was

Back
Top Bottom