Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

Well it's offically official! McLaren have announced that Sergio Perez will be joining the team from 2013. (autosport).

Pleased for the guy, it's good to see a driver being given the chance of a top team drive on merit rather than because he's either flashing the (sponsors') cash or because he's happy to roll over and have his tummy ticked a la Massa. Looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Well he does bring Telmex cash to the table, but McLaren wouldn't employ a driver on that fact alone.

This was literally my reaction to the news:
cheering_man.gif

Pèrez for WDC 2013!!

I think Sergio is the biggest winner in all of this. How times have changed from when many said he was only in F1 because of the money he brought. Good luck to him!

McLaren chief Martin Whitmarsh added: “Uniting Sergio alongside Jenson will give us a very broad base of driver ability.
"Jenson is one of motorsport’s greatest ambassadors and his unique blend of prodigious speed and canny race-craft makes him formidably well-armed to fight for victory on any grand prix circuit in the world.
"While Sergio is still developing his palette of skills, we're convinced that he's not only talented and quick, but also that he's willing and eager to learn."

After two seasons in F1, I hope he’s given the opportunity to compete on an equal footing with Jenson.

Anyone remember the clip of Sir Frank giving Senna a test in 1983 and saying afterwards "Yes he's quick but we think he hasn't got enough experience to drive for Williams". Could Ferrari have made the same mistake??

I don't think Ferrari will regret anything. They generally run a number 1 and 2 driver system and in that system Alonso is the present and Perez is the future. After supporting Perez for years they're basically getting him trained to handle driving in a top team for free by joining McLaren to prepare him for a career at Ferrari, while they keep their preferred driver Alonso and focus trying to win multiple championships with him. I doubt Alonso will be retiring in the next 2 years, so there's plenty of time for Perez to join Ferrari when they inevitably want to replace Alonso.

Quintessentially, that was my exact thought too on reading the Whitmarsh quote you attached.
It would be good if he does get equal status, from what I've seen so far he's earned that drive & deserves an equal opportunity at WDC.
Maybe it's just the way I'm reading the statement but it seems to have overtones of number 2 written all over, I must be getting cynical in my old age :disappointed:
i do think if he comes out of the box storming then McLaren won't impede him, I wonder if Jenson will get part way through 2013 & wish it had been Sergio to Ferrari & Massa to McLaren!

Likely he'll be slotted in behind Jenson so not to rock the boat. Whitmarsh likes to assert that Jenson is very good at leading the team. We are going to find out just how good he is. One thing for sure, he can't afford another slump and the pressure is probably on him more than Hamilton to perform at the top end of the grid.

Maybe it's just the way I'm reading the statement but it seems to have overtones of number 2 written all over, I must be getting cynical in my old age :disappointed:

This is exactly the thought I was having - It seems likely to me that Perez will be being paid considerably less than Button, - he feels like a Kovalainen type signing to support Button.... However, initially, a certain L Hamilton was drafted in essentially as an Alonso support driver.....

Of course we never know for sure what drivers are being paid, but I did read something about £3 million for Perez.

I noticed that too haha!

I undertsood that as "if Ferrari don't want me I might as well go with McLaren...". He'll have to get better at the corporate bulltshit quickly.

Back
Top Bottom