Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

If you look at the Hulk's last 4 races - 3 of them have been no fault of his own that he has scored no points (depending on your view whether he should have been more careful with Massa)

Perez has actually become pretty solid this year and we seem to have lost the tendency to go for gaps that aren't there or not leaving people enough space. He is certainly a better and more mature racing driver this year. Unfourtunatly as he was shoved into a top team too early I think the F1 world has made its judgement of him and he won't get the chance again.

Can't comment on him without mentioning the almost impossible save on the first lap at Singapore. He'd lost the car and was about to wipe his team mate out and how he stopped it I have no idea. It was a brown trousser moment if ever I saw one.

I think Perez is a solid driver in the mould of a Nick Heidfeld but probably lacking a few ingredients to be a No 1 driver in a top team

His only real nemesis appears to be Maldonado (but Pastor is everyone's nemesis)

At the time on analysis of his performances he was best at managing his tyres but he has managed to shrug off that reputation and become a better driver.

I think it did not help he had to fill Hamilton's shoes at Mclaren which was a tall order and it coincided with a dip in form on his part when he was announced as Mclaren driver

Quick word for Perez topping a good season with a handy podium.

He's quietly developing into a solud racing driver. Another good argument for giving drivers time to develop rather than throwing them in the deep end and seeing if they sink.

I think Checo is one of those drivers who would do well in a midfield team and then suddenly turn up a top performance. Force India is more his team and not Mclaren

It would be interesting to see if he was given a Williams how he would have fared

I have to say he may not be the fastest driver around but he is a more dependable racer and certainly matured a lot more than Maldonado who came up with him from Gp2

Last edited:
Wow not a lot has been said on Checo's own forum for the season so it just occurred me how he is becoming a key player in the driver market for midfield teams which you would not have expected as such

What he has which the other candidates except maybe Felipe Nasr is serious sponsorship backing for seats at Williams, Renault and Force India . I have to say Checo has improved since from his ill fated spell at Mclaren which now seems to be an uninspired decision by Martin Whitmarsh and no doubt again had to do with being able to attract his sponsors to then pay for Mercedes engines.

Checo is not a pay driver and has ambitions to win races and becoming world champion but if it were not for the money he brings would he not already been dropped by Force India ?

It seems like he has bargaining power in saying he could move if his sponsors says. His team have come out and said he has a contract for 2017 but is it watertight or worth anything because we've seen driver's can be bought out before of their contracts and it does not seem to deter Checo in saying he wants to move up the grid?

Everyone loves a good number 2 though.

I give kudos to Perez for saving his career over the horrid year at Mclaren. I also give Kudos for him coming out on top against Hulkenberg although I think that has a lot to do with the nature of his driving style and it suiting a midfield team. Save the tyres and taking pit gambles are great when driving a Force India but prob wouldn't work for a top team.

RasputinLives Its a typical Force India strategy to go long and form a train behind and he's perfect to fill that role

Bill Boddy Maybe he could give them a bit more impetus there and against Bottas is up against someone who is very highly rated by some and at the moment higher than Hulkenberg

Williams is not a bad option but he is not what I call a typical Williams driver like Mansell or Montoya

Renault would be a very good option long term knowing the French company's history of being able to become competitive in the next 2-3 years

I was trying to compare Checo's situation to the one where his predecessor Di Resta had when they felt they could not go any further with the team and felt they needed to move to a top team... only difference is Checo has got money behind him which Force India really need

Who wouldve thought of the day when i was sure whether to put a story in the f1 part or the political part :D

Perez dumps sponsor after Trump elected

& it begins :snacks:

Sergio Perez has said on twitter that he will be dropping a sunglasses sponsor for a Twitter post following Donald Trump election as US president. The brand, Hawkers, had suggested Mexicans should wear their glasses to hide crying eyes when the wall between Mexico & US is built.

Perez tweeted in Spanish think i translated it to "What a bad commentary. Today I am ending my relations with @HawkerMX, I will never let anyone laugh at my country."

Last edited:
well the sponsor made an ill advised comment

I dont think it the sponsor at fault per say, because i think it just a man in charge of Twitter account who wrongfully thought it would be hilarious, forgetting they sponsor a Mexican Driver in F1
:oops:

But as it article says at bottom "it wont happen again", i got a feeling think he may have been sacked or :spank:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom