Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

How does that work legally with the goods already manufactured with his name on it? I hope they're not allowed to still sell them without having to pay him now that's severed the contract, that would be a bit galling?...

Why would anyone, and I mean ANYONE, want a pair of Sergio Perez sunglasses? I'd rather have my eyes plucked form my head and stuck on tooth picks. Maybe that's a little extreme but why does anyone want sportswear endorsed by someone who's won nothing?

Heh that's what I was thinking FB, although your toothpick comment was perhaps a step too far for me. Never been good with eyes being plucked out. Anyway, whatever next? Max Chilton slippers?

Why would anyone, and I mean ANYONE, want a pair of Sergio Perez sunglasses? I'd rather have my eyes plucked form my head and stuck on tooth picks. Maybe that's a little extreme but why does anyone want sportswear endorsed by someone who's won nothing?
Mexican people?

The sunglasses brand are 'Hawkers' they're inexpensive Polarised sunnies that's lots of young/B grade sports people promote. I have a pair, they're ok, but not even close to Oakley in terms of comfort/optical quality, and Oakley are nothing like as good as they were in the late 90s/early 2000s...

Wow, no comments since November 2016. Can someone explain why this bloke is bigged up as a potential driver for a big team? Yeah, good midfield runner, possibly a reasonable No.2 in the Barichello/Massa class but by no stretch of the imagination a future world champion. I suppose he brings a lump of money with him from Telmex but which of the top teams need his money?

Sergio's personality shone through today. Not the right attitude for a small team like Force India I'm afraid.
I have to agree had he been in a Ferrari or Mercedes it would have been excellent to ignore team-orders, but in this case he was holding up Ocon and destroying his own chances of getting close to Ricciardo. Furthermore, the battle cost the two FIs a considerable amount of time, which enable Vettel to overtake them.
Ocon could have challenged for the podium and he was very cautious in the battle with Perez, because he obviously didn't want to take out his team-mate.

RasputinLives Sergio has outgrown the team he needs another environment and one that improve his stock / motivation
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did he deliberate let Vettel through to earn himself a Ferrari drive as he did not defend as hard as he did with Ocon, you judge for yourselves?

Every time you think Perez demonstrates in a car why we should have a higher opinion of him his attitude gets in the way.

As Martin Brundle pointed out yesterday, Force India could have had a 3rd and 5th had Ocon been given a crack at Danny.

With so many younger drivers ready to impress I think Perez's chances of a top 3 drive are as near zero as possible.

Back
Top Bottom