Current Sergio Pérez

Sergio Perez Mendoza also known as 'Checo'. 21 years of age and 12 Grand Prix under his belt. Already has a contract for Sauber for next year, is part of the Ferrari driving acadamy, current favourite to replace Massa but what he didn't have was his own thread on Clip the Apex so I thought I'd sort him one out.

Won British Formula 3 at 18. Finished 12 in GP2 at 19. Finished runner-up in GP2 at 20. Made his GP debut at 21 and finished in the points only to be DQ'd later due to both Saubers breaking car regs. Had a big accident at Monoco and even chose to pull out of the Candian GP after realising he wasn't back to 100%. Has had 2 points finishes so far this season with his highest being a 7th place at Silverstone. Has been quite highly placed at both Spa and Monza in last couple of weeks but due to a tangle and a mechnical faiure didn't capitalise on it.

Has been beating his Team-mate Kobyashi reg in qualifying but has had difficulty translating that to the races. Sometimes you wonder if Perez suffers from Sauber tendency to try and make him do something different on the tyre strategy and whether he'd much rather just go for it and race with the pack. Having said that he has proved he has a head for strategy which could stand him in goodstead for the future.

Already impressed enough to get a second year with Sauber and is currently dueling with Paul Di Resta for the 'Rookie of the Year' award. What do you guys think of him? Star of the future or constant midfield runner?

I think he's a much better driver than his season at McLaren suggested and I get the feeling he needs more of a "family" environment rather than the cold, corporate World of his Ronness to get the best out of him.

He has looked good and he got that podium.

Hulk still has nearly double his points though which was a similar story to the first part of his Mclaren season last year (minus the podium).

I think he's been slightly unlucky with reliability and the collison with Button which was just a racing incident. Still he has been outperformed by Hulkenberg this year, if he sorts his qualifying he could be a real threat.

I don't disagree with that but once again the same was being said last year and I wonder if he's approaching that line drivers get too where they've had so much bad luck you have to start wondering if they are creating their own luck.

Of course he'll go have a blinder at Canada now just like he seems to everytime I doubt him.

He could be an interesting yardstick for Hulkenberg, he is doing better than I would have expected against a driver rated as highly as the Hulk is.

Massive disappointment for Perez. Looked like he was on for a win, then a certain podium, and then to get wiped out by Massa was the deathblow.

I was surprised that he didn't give Rosberg a better run for his money though.

He did have the beating of Hulk today yes. However he didn't finish so actually lost a massive chunk of points to him.

Seems to be the story of his career so far.

Perhaps the stewards saw that Perez had braked earlier than normal, hence the penalty. Not surprising if he did as he was complaining about having trouble stopping.

Which just says that
1. Perez was braking so early, that he had no right to still be on the racetrack!
2. Given that he jinked left in the braking zone, it was completely his fault!

Back
Top Bottom