Schumacher Injured

I didn't think I'd be posting agin until the new cars are unveiled, but this is terrible news. I hope he pulls through for himself and his family. Despite some of his antics, I did like Michael as a driver. No-one worked harder to achieve what he did. Firstly, I hope he survives this, and secondly has quality of life with his loved ones. Here's hoping for some better news today.

Hopefully the lack of news is good as it means he is hanging in there and recovering. Each time I click on to Autosport I fear it saying the worst.

Current news seems pretty ominous. I can't say I was ever a Schumacher fan, but there's no getting away from the fact that he was an extraordinary competitor. I hope he recovers, and as a father myself I feel for his son who was with him at the time of the accident, I'm sure the whole incident has been very traumatic.

Another update from Gary Harstein: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/tuesday-press-conference-take-1/

There are also two other bits of information that have emerged:
  • The incident was at low speed. Apparently Schumacher was going to aid a friend, slipped on a rock and then fell head first on to another rock. So it was just a freak accident rather than any of this talk of the drivers always pushing the limit in terms of speed and risk.
  • A journalist supposedly posed as a priest and tried to gain access to Schumacher.

Last edited:
Thanks for finding Gary Hartstein's blog sushifiesta . For those who are unfamiliar with who he is, he was Professor Sid Watkins' number two in the F1 medical team from 1997 to 2004. He was then Formula 1 Medical Delegate until 2007 and then F1 Medical Rescue Coordinator until 2012. When Sid Watkins died Hartstein was tipped to replace him but the good old internal politics in the FIA's inner circle blew it. Somewhere on Clip I posted about it at the time as I think it was one of Jean Todt's gaffs and in making it F1 lost Hartstein's expertise. More fool them. It's good that he is around to keep a watching brief and cut through the mist and fog of the media coverage for us all.

Last edited:
I think someone needs to write a guide on how to be an exciting investiative journalist whilst not being complete scum!

Posing as a priest to get to a critically ill man? Scum. I hope the git catches leperacy!

Rant over.

Hang in there Schumie! Time to push for a few laps to get that pass in the pits done my lad. Push Push Push.

Update: Condition still critical but has stabilised. It's now a case of waiting and praying for signs of improvement and/or the next window of opportunity if an intervention is deemed appropriate. Fingers crossed.

I wasn't going to post on this, but there seems to be a lot of confusing stories out there (as well as on here) and I have been annoying the wife with questions the last few days to work out what has been going on with MS.

I actually know where the accident happened very well, having spent 3 seasons in the area. This was a freak accident that could have happened to anyone and didn't need anything like stupidity or pushing the boundaries for it to happen. I used to snowboard that area on a daily basis when there as it gave me a good link between the best runs and where I was staying at the time, and even taking it slowly and carefully I have fallen in that area more than anywhere else to my recollection due to the terrain. It is not steep, it is not loose snow, it is just that you don't know what is 1" beneath the surface and it changes from deep snow to lightly covered rocks within feet.

He was wearing a helmet and the original injury did not fracture the skull or anything like that. He has what is known as a Contra-Couc injury (I think that is how it is spelt) which is a type very common with boxers, wrestlers etc where the brain is viloently shaken within the skull itself by an impact. It is very common in this type of injury for the person to be fine (in some case for a day or more) before the "bruising" of the brain causes it to swell and apply pressure against the skull. Anyone that has followed wrestling from the US for more than a few years will be familiar with this type of injury where wrestlers have celebrated a win, gone back to their hotel and died over night due to lack of medical intervention.

The surgeries that have taken place will be to relieve the pressure of the swelling in strategically important areas or in some cases as a whole across the area. It is common practice for anyone undergoing this type of surgery to be kept in a medically induced coma for a minimum of 48 hours post op and sometimes up to a week depending on how the patient is responding. This helps to avoid further swelling from the original injury as well as reduces any risk of swelling in the area of the operation. The fact that MS is being described as stable is actually very encouraging as it means further swelling has been avoided and that it is now about whether the existing injuries can be dealt with.

The worst news is that no-one can tell what the outcome will be should MS pull through the injury and it probably won't be known for a number of years. Some people can wake up, be normal from day 1 and just get on with life, some (read information published about Richard Hammond) will wake up and return to what is considered to be a normal life but will be recovering for months or years afterwards before finally being themselves again, and others may wake up and never return to their normal life due to the changes in them (look up Kevin Pearce, a snowboarder who has spent the last 4 years just trying to be independent). Brain injuries are hit and miss at the best of times, so all we can do is wait and hope that MS is back to fighting fit before too long.

In all my years of watching motor sport, and every battle I ever saw Schumi being involved in I always wanted him to lose. This is the first time I have wanted him to win, and not only win but dominate the fight.

[quote="canis, post: It is common practice for anyone undergoing this type of surgery to be kept in a medically induced coma for a minimum of 48 hours post op and sometimes up to a week depending on how the patient is responding.t.[/quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at details, such as have been released, of the type of head and brain lesion injuries suffered by Schumacher I have to say I have found it very difficult not to try and compare them with my own, suffered a dozen years ago. I was kept in a coma for 2 months. I do know it's different for every individual and every injury is different.

Other than that you are absolutely correct and spot on, in that it may take several years for the extent of his injuries to become clear.
One possible danger of a prolonged coma is that any underlying, undiscovered problem other than what they're actually treating, may well only come to light after the patient regains consciousness.
There are some problems a patient can suffer from that can only detected through the patient actually voicing them, and Michael can obviously not do that at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom