Safety Car Rules

Anyway, back to racing. I did get slightly frustrated at Brundell's criticism of the return of the release of backmarkers. It is race 1, is it really necessary to be so negative. The unlapping of backmarkers is inevitable. The only difference is whether it is done at 200 mph's over three laps, or at 80 mph's in 1. And that is all it was. The safety wouldn't have come in till after the lap the cars were released anyway. It just seems like inpatients to the extreme in my head.

What I think might be better is to send backmarkers backwards, as this can start as soon as everyone is behind SC. Just tell all non lead cars to get off the racing line, and they are not allowed to overtake. Then the lapped cars can sort themselves out at the back, out of site.

The main problem on Sunday was that most drivers were still weaving. It was said that they will be forced to stay on the racing line while others are unlapping themselves. That's the only way this can be an orderly procedure.

Absolutely agreed. I got so annoyed when I saw it happening, knowing the FIA wouldn't do anything about it. It completely undermines the FIA when they pick and chose when to punish driver, for which rule. I say give them all a 5 grid place drop. It will mostly cancel out for the next race, but it will also make drivers think twice about doing it in the future. Why should Heikki be punished for breaking a rule under SC, when everyone is breaking rules.

And of course it is open to the abuse we saw at Monaco in 2008 when Kubica was in 2nd place and Heidfeld was lapped. They called for unlapping and Heidfeld sat there because BMW were very content for another few laps under Safety Car.

What I think might be better is to send backmarkers backwards, as this can start as soon as everyone is behind SC. Just tell all non lead cars to get off the racing line, and they are not allowed to overtake. Then the lapped cars can sort themselves out at the back, out of site.
That was my suggestion months ago when it was announced the safety car rules were being changed.
It would all be done and dusted within one straight then, instead of taking several laps.

I counted four laps, the last of which I didn't think we would have had, if it weren't for the backmarker rule. More time for adverts I suppose.

Just thinking out loud, the current formula benefits the driver who pits first in a one-on-one battle. Theoretically they should pay a penalty later in the race with tyre degradation, but for various reasons this often doesn't happen, and close battles are still decided at the pit stops. The SC rules at least provide an alternative motivation on pit stop strategy, and provide the potential for a benefit to the later-stopping car. It gives them something else to think about, in other words.

But I might not have thought that through fully...

4 Laps, you're right. Still it OK even if they can do better...

Last year there was some cars who pited earlier and suffer tyre degradation at the end. But it was not the case in front of the race because Vettel had so much advance that he was piting always later, so even in case of a late SC he would have the better tyres.

Luck is random.

Would you like a safety car on the last few laps of the last race to decide the WDC and WCC?

I certainly wouldn't.

In 2010 the WDC was won by the timing of the arrival of a driver wrt the safety car coming onto the circuit.

Then you are looking at the wrong race. Was there a safety car at Abu Dhabi? I don't recall one, but then it was a bit sophoric.

Yeah, on lap one when Liuzzi nearly killed Schumacher, the Safety Car came out - Rosberg and Petrov made their only pitstops and Alonso lost the title because Ferrari forgot they needed to pit with those two clearly behind.

So are you thinking of Valencia, then?

Back
Top Bottom