Safety Car Rules

We also wasted a lap because of the way they implemented the backmarker rule (and nearly saw some tasty collisions as Kovaleinen and Glock got past the weaving cars in front).

Why they don't just have the lapped cars go through the pitlane and rejoin at the end of the train, I don't know...

We also wasted a lap because of the way they implemented the backmarker rule (and nearly saw some tasty collisions as Kovaleinen and Glock got past the weaving cars in front).

Why they don't just have the lapped cars go through the pitlane and rejoin at the end of the train, I don't know...
Because one of the cars will undoubtabely get it wrong or get a penalty for overtaking under the safety car, but I think that is the best idea yet

They can get the cars on the lead lap through the pit lane so the lapped get a clear track for getting their lap back...

But I think the new rules under SC are quite good, there is still an element of luck but if nobody makes a mistake nobody can win or lose more than one place. And I think that Hamilton had a bad in lap compared to Vettel...
Still I think that these SC debate woudn't be the same if overtaking was easier (and I don't talk about more of this stupid DRS).

They can get the cars on the lead lap through the pit lane so the lapped get a clear track for getting their lap back...
Better for the lapped cars to go through as there are generally fewer of them. Who cares whether the Maroussias do 56 or 55 laps...?

Still I prefer seeing the lapped cars gets a lap back, if the leader overtake the 11th driver, and the 10th is just 1s in front but there is a SC the 11th will be at one lap and the 10th will be at the end of the train sure to be in the points...

Actually I think there is a valid point here when a safety car is deployed this means a full course yellow which in turn means there is absolutely no overtaking, so considering the pit lane is part of the race track surely using the pit lane to overtake is already against the letter of the rules.

Still I prefer seeing the lapped cars gets a lap back, if the leader overtake the 11th driver, and the 10th is just 1s in front but there is a SC the 11th will be at one lap and the 10th will be at the end of the train sure to be in the points...
If that's important then add one on the computer. I just want to stop all the timewasting while everyone gets into position.

I was very disappointed when the new rules were announced.

As we saw today, the SC was out for several laps longer than necessary to allow the unlapped cars to drive all the way around the circuit and rejoin at the back.

It's better than having them in the pack at the restart, but there must be a better way than this?

I generally approve of the effect of the safety car on races, it throws in a spanner to mix things up, and results in almost a rolling race start.
Over a season or over a career in F1 (teams or drivers) they tend to do a swings and roundabouts thing, and if a team leader can strategize to maximise advantages then well done to him, I say!
The thing I still can't get my head around is why lapped cars can unlap themselves under an SC.
Why should they get that advantage for free? They didn't earn it and don't deserve it

Well maybe the answer is to close the pits during a safety car (unless you have damage, fuel is not an issue) collect the field in the order they are running so don't let the back markers by, pits open after the safety car goes in or open the pits after 2 laps under safety car, and leave it up to the teams to decide if they want to pit then. That makes the safety car deployment more fair to all teams.

With the closed pit rule, order afterwards would probably been like this
Button
Hamilton
Alonso
Perez
Rosberg
Kobayashi
di Resta
Senna
--(all above did not pit during the race after SC, with the exception of Senna who got some damage in clash with Massa)
Vettel
Webber*
Maldonado
Räikkönen
Vergne
Massa
Ricciardo
Webber with asterisk since he would have likely been even lower since he was behind his team-mate while both had pit stops to go. SC during pit window is likely to affect positions whatever the rules are. It's worth of note that some of the drivers had not used both compounds at that point.

Red Bulls are here down to 9th and 10th, They were 3rd and 6th before the round of pit stops (Vettel went past Hamilton. Webber past Alonso and Rosberg) so they were 2nd and 4th when the SC pulled into the pits and kept the positions to the end.

With the closed pit rule, order afterwards would probably been like this
Button
Hamilton
Alonso
Perez
Rosberg
Kobayashi
di Resta
Senna
--(all above did not pit during the race after SC, with the exception of Senna who got some damage in clash with Massa)
Vettel
Webber*
Maldonado
Räikkönen
Vergne
Massa
Ricciardo
Webber with asterisk since he would have likely been even lower since he was behind his team-mate while both had pit stops to go. SC during pit window is likely to affect positions whatever the rules are. It's worth of note that some of the drivers had not used both compounds at that point.

Red Bulls are here down to 9th and 10th, They were 3rd and 6th before the round of pit stops (Vettel went past Hamilton. Webber past Alonso and Rosberg) so they were 2nd and 4th when the SC pulled into the pits and kept the positions to the end.

.....and if Kewee's idea of freezing the race and giving a free pitstop had been implemented the result would probably have been this.

Vettel
Button
Webber
Hamilton
Maldonado
Rakkionen
Kobayashi
Alonso
Rosberg
Vergne

so not fair anyway you do it is it?

I missed this right after the race, but when they were putting their watches and hats on in preparation for the podium, Jenson said to Seb, "Was there any reason for that Safety Car?". And then Vettel started telling Herbie to tell Charlie something about a Marshall that was running around with a yellow flag.

And then Vettel started telling Herbie to tell Charlie something about a Marshall that was running around with a yellow flag.

I thought that whole discussion about flags was to do with the blue one that seemed to be waved at everyone on the approach to turn 1. It wasn't even a proper blue, blue flag (more like something my wife has washed a few times and has gone grey-ish). But whoever's hand it was in was intent on waving it at every car he saw, regardless of who it was an whether they had other cars near them.

.....and if Kewee's idea of freezing the race and giving a free pitstop had been implemented the result would probably have been this.

Vettel
Button
Webber
Hamilton
Maldonado
Rakkionen
Kobayashi
Alonso
Rosberg
Vergne

so not fair anyway you do it is it?

Not sure I understand your logic. When the safety car came out it picked up the leader, Button. Not sure how you've put Vettel in front. The most important point I was trying to make was, when the safety car is on track the rules forbid overtaking. The pit lane is considered a part of the race circuit, yet your allowed to overtake when you pit. I've just put forward a point that seems to me, wrong and have suggested a way to bring fairness back into safety car period, or more importantly, correct an anomaly. If your not allowed to pass when the safety car is on track surely that should include the whole track, and not exclude the pits.

Back
Top Bottom