Safety Car Rules

Not sure I understand your logic. When the safety car came out it picked up the leader, Button. Not sure how you've put Vettel in front. The most important point I was trying to make was, when the safety car is on track the rules forbid overtaking. The pit lane is considered a part of the race circuit, yet your allowed to overtake when you pit. I've just put forward a point that seems to me, wrong and have suggested a way to bring fairness back into safety car period, or more importantly, correct an anomaly. If your not allowed to pass when the safety car is on track surely that should include the whole track, and not exclude the pits.

Because when the safety car was deploed Vettel was in the lead because he hadn't pitted yet therefore the safety car would have picked him up. Webber was in front of Lewis too. Therefore by your idea they would have been able to come in and have a free pitstop and then make their way back into the positions they were in when the safety car came out. Thus putting Vettel in the lead.

Which other form of single seater series does that Kewee? Coz I've never heard of it before.

I do see your sentiment and as I said it would be the fair way but the likelyhood of it happening is zilch as its all about the show and anything that shakes the order up and create actions is not going to be got rid of anytime soon.

Rasputin I owe you an apology. My comment about every other form of motorsport was misleading to say the least though that doesn't alter my thread or my belief that there must be a better way.
On this side of the world and in America, in single seater sprint racing, sprint meaning 50 laps or less in short track competition, after a caution the field reforms in the positions they held on the lap prior to the caution. The only reason I included this in my argument was to point out how easy it would be to regroup the field in their correct positions, especially in Grand Prix racing. They achieve it in short track racing surprisingly quickly despite the fact there are 24 cars on a quarter or half mile oval, and a fair amount of pushing and nudging goes on between drivers that sometimes aren't happy with the officials. Apologies again. :friends: Of course the cautions are handled quite differently again in IRL racing in the States. Their methods work, but then it is one of the few forms of racing where a driver can come from the back of the field to win in 20 laps or so, due to pack racing and drafting.

Because when the safety car was deploed Vettel was in the lead because he hadn't pitted yet therefore the safety car would have picked him up. Webber was in front of Lewis too. Therefore by your idea they would have been able to come in and have a free pitstop and then make their way back into the positions they were in when the safety car came out. Thus putting Vettel in the lead.

Hahaha. Point taken. No wonder they don't want to play around with the safety car rules, Stupid people like me would never understand them. ROFL Seriously though, I think we both share the view that it's a shame it can't be made a little fairer. :thumbsup:

Yeah I agree its unfair I just don't see an alternative to it. I'm sure it evens itself out over the season though

Hahaha. Point taken. No wonder they don't want to play around with the safety car rules, Stupid people like me would never understand them. ROFL Seriously though, I think we both share the view that it's a shame it can't be made a little fairer. :thumbsup:
Like I said before, the rules of SC in F1 are the fairer in all motorsport. It's almost impossible to do a system where nobody is advantages/disavantaged but if you look like at the previous SC deployment there was any changes like Alonso at Singapore ^^

I like the safety car rules. I think teams have to take the likelihood of safety cars into account, and red flags in qualifying. Lewis was just unlucky.

1 position or 10 positions; motorpsort should be about skill, not luck.

I disagree. I think there should be a balance. Plus, without luck, then the skill of the opportunist would die out. Luck is a test, as much a conclusion.

He was unlucky and lost just 1 position, few years ago if a driver was unlucky he could lose 10 position...

Exactly. I think someone mentioned early on about banning pit stops under SC like before, but would Vettel not have lost about 10 places in that case?

Luck is random.

Would you like a safety car on the last few laps of the last race to decide the WDC and WCC?

I certainly wouldn't.

Random, but measurable. The chances of SC's are a lot higher in Monaco than many modern run-off area circuits. Therefore teams need to take it into account in their strategy. Strategy is all about risk and reward. I'd have been more surprised if we had 0 SC's in Melbourne. I think throughout a season, luck will throw up various scenario to test a driver, and without these, I'd say a driver would have only proven how well he can do in a perfect environment.

It's not regular with the new rules that someone in front loses a position... so now it's hard to do a better rule. If there is a change of SC rule I'm affraid it would be in the bat direction!

And like I said before if it was easier to overtake in F1 with less aero like it was in the past losing one place under SC would be less of a problem.

It's not measurable at all.
Not one iota.

No-one has any idea if or when a safety car will be deployed.

Ever.

I completely disagree. Not only do I think it is measurable, but I'm pretty sure the teams spend millions estimating the probability of different possible scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom