Ross Brawn

"The Bear."

After successes in Sportscars with Jaguar, Ross Brawn moved to Formula One with Benetton, where his strategical understanding of how to use refuelling pitstops effectively helped Michael Schumacher to his first two titles. He then moved to Ferrari, helping Schumacher to another 5 titles, before going on a sabbatical for 2007.

He showed up at Honda in 2008, quickly deciding to abandon the season in favour of being the best placed to capitalise on the 2009 rule change. Though Honda pulled out, Brawn GP (as they became) had easily the best car at the start of the season, largely due to the Double Diffuser loophole Brawn had pointed out to the FIA and the FIA had decided to ignore. This allowed Jenson Button to rack up enough points early on that the inevitable decline of the under-budgeted team failed to cost them either title.

Enter Mercedes. Schumacher came out of retirement to join Brawn, but he has thus far been outperformed by his team-mate Rosberg. Has Brawn allowed sentiment to woo him?

The biggest credit I think you can pay to Brawn, though, is that the leading two cars after a major regulatory rethink have been from the teams containing him and Adrian Newey. And that is quite the company to keep.

Good cheeky interview on sky with Ted sticking a microphone under Sir Franks nose unexpectedly. Frank asked if he would be interested in taking on Ross. He didn't say yes but he was full of superlatives and icing topped praise for Ross. Very interesting. Bit more fuel on the fire.

I'm not sure there is any thing in flames but, yes, it is a kind of "team principle silly season" moment. Will he, won't he, where will he go ... ?:thinking: Methinks there will be lots of chatter and speculation just to fill some column inches until Austin.:)

I can't see him staying at Mercedes. The way I see it. Lauda is at the top in an overseer, big picture role. That is not in question. Paddy Lowe is the technical head and thats all he wants. Which means Brawn and Wolff are doing the same job as Team principle. Which by my calculations is at least one to many principles. Toto has to take a demotion to assistant principle if Brawn stays. Can't see that working.

The Sir Frank Williams Interview

"Naively perhaps I am unaware that Ross is available," Sir Frank told Ted Kravitz during Sky F1's coverage of the Abu Dhabi GP.

"When he was with us he was really extraordinarily clever in terms of engineering - he is very gifted - and I am sure he has accumulated infinitively more knowledge just as much about what not to do as much as what he should be doing. So if he was to come he would be a great addition.

"I wasn't aware he was available. I may now have to contact him and I can say no more.

"The reason I am being hesitant is that I do employ people already and it is very unlikely that we could afford Ross, or that he would want to come to us etc, etc and all I would be doing if we didn't get Ross would be offending everyone at the team already."

Remember Williams have Mercedes engines and Toto still has connections with Williams - his missus and Bottas so maybe Mercedes and Williams could broker a deal for Ross to join Frank's team

I'd be amused if williams start beating the factory team with Ross on board using the same engine

Looks like Ross is to be terminated.

screenshot.19.jpg

Last edited:
Frank Williams did say when interviewed just after Brawn's announcement that he had not heard about it but would now have to review his plans. But it could just have been Frank's sense of humour.

Isn't it a shame! I don't suppose Hamilton saw that coming when he signed up for the team. I expect he was relying on the brilliant Ross to keep the team up there. I wonder if he'll go to another team. (Ross I mean)

Back
Top Bottom