Ron Dennis

I was surprised to see there wasn't already a thread about this most famous of (former) team principals.

Much has been said about Ron Dennis and his unique personality and approach, mostly taken with a pinch of salt and slight chuckle.
Well perhaps this article, by a former McLaren employee, will dispel some myths while simultaneously reinforcing others: http://f1elvis.com/2012/11/07/mr-ron-dennis-cbe/

(Alternative link: http://www.pitlanemagazine.com/magazine/?p=435)

Love him or loathe him, Dennis' tenure at McLaren will be remembered for a long time to come and it is inevitable that current and future team principals will be compared to him.

The fact of the matter is that if Ron Dennis wanted to retain control of "his" team he should have retained 51% of it.

The tie up with Honda has left the team so far off the pace of the front two or three, it could be yet more seasons before podium finishes become a regular prospect. Next season the power plant needs to take a huge stride forward but on top of this, given the increased emphasis on aero, the chassis needs to make the same huge leap. I just don't see that as being likely.

Pushing Dennis out will not make the car better.

Maybe Ross will give him a job. Wishful thinking perhaps - I'd like to see him stay in F1. I don't think a move to another team would work for him, but something a bit higher up might.

Although that wad the premise of pushing out Martin Whitmarsh.

I do think that transformational change is required at McLaren F1 to push them up the grid and keep them there. In this day and age you cannot maintain complete control to the degree that Ron seems to want without compromising output.

Did you know Ron used to make the entire team throw away their trainers after each Grand Prix? Not sure if they still do that but I assume there must have been one Biffa bin at the MTC just for shoe for recycling.

His Ronness doing a proper job.

Ron-Dennis-1970.jpg

Ever since they brought Jost capito in from VW, ive been expecting ron dennis departure, his forcing honda to come in a year early would be his downfall as that was a far painful year than surpassed anyone worst expections. They said this is just a blip be over by beligium which was fine until we find out it was spa 2016 not 2014 & also if they stuck with Mercedes they could had all the success that williams did. Without all the embarassment & anger

Maybe BE will take pity on him, and make him his second in command !!
:whistle:

Not the strangest idea. Because in interview with bernie that brundle had. He said if he was setting up a team now ron dennis would be my team principal

McLaren has been Ron's life and obsession. He's given a lot and lost a lot in the process. I just hope he's going to be ok after all this is over.

if they stuck with Mercedes they could had all the success that williams did.

McLaren are, rightly, aiming a bit higher than that. At least Honda could, in theory, give them a better engine than the Mercedes works team. A Mercedes customer will never get that.

I'm not a fan, as I think I've said, but I do think that this is a terrible thing to do to a man who has given his all to a team.

FB - Jack, I have investigated the automobile's parameters and in recent competition, there has been an impurity in the aseptic specification of the vehicle. I recommend that the use of hydrocarbonic substances be minimised. Actioning this protocol must not affect vehicular velocity, however.

Back
Top Bottom