Romain Grosjean

Was drafted into F1 with not an ounce of testing and replaced Nelson Piquet Jr in the middle of 2009 when he was possibly on route to becoming the GP2 Champion that season, which went to Nico Hulkenburg.

In his 7 races in F1 he failed to impress and the no in-season testing rule didn't help his course. Plus having Fernando Alonso as his teammate couldn't have helped either.

In 2010 Grosjean went to do Auto GP, before returning back to GP2 on July 20th for a few guess appearances for DAM'S. But in 2011 Grosjean was given a full-time drive by DAM'S for the 2011 GP2 series and went on to become the 2011 GP2 Champion.

My question is will Grosjean get a drive for 2012? Plus how far can this guy go if he gets into F1?

I keep hearing this story but would Grosjean, who has been backed by Renault nearly all his career, suddenly jump ship on the eve of them buying the team he's in?

Unless the Renault thing is not true......

Or he's been promised the Ferrari seat when Kimi sods off.

Leaving a team on the verge of it becoming a works team would be madness. Particularly when Haas is a brand new team that will almost certainly struggle at the back of the grid for the first season or 2.

Greenlantern101 Considering how Renault engines have done so far the next year will be a transition for Team Enstone so what makes people believe Renault will suddenly be front runners ..it takes them about 5 years to get it right usually once they master the powertrains they will be devastatingly quick

For Romain he has not got time on his side and perhaps a move elsewhere would do him good since he's in a similar situation as Hulkenberg who ironically did not want the Haas drive thinking its too much of a gamble to try and get into Ferrari

Haas will no doubt get Ferrari parts which based on this year suggests it will be down to the chassis as the engine is definitely good enough to challenge Mercedes.

So I don't think Romain is putting himself at risk.. its not like Villeneuve deciding to set up BAR or Fittipaldi setting up his own team

Grosjean parted with Briatore when Flav got banned from F1 and has been managed by Bouillier since

I don't know if some of the Renault people dislike him because of his past association because he does not strike me as a guy who would piss off people like maybe Hamilton , Raikkonen or Maldonado

Not by him.

Autosport are running a story as if its happened.
Rather get the news from him personally. He tweets a lot, but nothing so far about signing for anyone.

I haven't heard about Hulkrnberg being top of anyone's wish list except for Force India. Had he been top of Ferrari's list then he would be there like a shot.

Bill Boddy My point was why Hulkenberg did not see that in lining up againt Gutierrez a Ferrari reserve driver that if he beat him he would be in with a better shout for a Ferrari drive than staying at Force India

In passing up the opportunity he's left the door open for Grosjean to take the moment and potentially seizing it .

They have crossed many times in their junior careers so it will be interesting to see what happens next if Grosjean does get promoted to Ferrari or not after impressing

It all rather depends on Haas producing something that he is able to impress with, does it not? If it's in the mould of Caterham or Manor in terms of competitiveness, then it would be a struggle to create any sort of impression. They may be getting lots of technical help from Ferrari, but that doesn't equate to being competitive from the word go - I think he's taking a huge gamble going there to be honest, but perhaps a lesser gamble than waiting to see if Renault can pull Lotus out of the dustbin (and certainly better than having to share the table with the Venezuelan talent-vacuum).

Road of Bones Agree but at his stage what has he got to lose ?

I look at both Hulkenberg and Grosjean in similar career path. Unfortunate for them they were the generation after Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel and have failed to dislodge Alonso, Raikkonen and Button from top drives and in danger of being leapfrogged by Ricciardo (already), Bottas, Verstappen, Kyvat and Sainz and then you have Van Doorn and Magnussen waiting as well

Grosjean can see that he would be in a similar situation at Lotus/ Renault so for him the jump makes sense because he probably would be stuck with them for the rest of his career

Hulkenberg really gains nothing from being with Force India either for another season unless it suddenly becomes the best car and beats the Mercs

Back
Top Bottom