Robert Kubica Injured In Rally

Bad luck Robert. Get well soon.

About what will hopefully be a temporary replacement - Pedro de la Rosa might be able to bring something of use to Renault. Perhaps he'd have to finish being a Pirelli test driver, but he'd rather be a race driver though. Wouldn't he?
unsure.gif

Would this be possible though...?

I love your avatar, cider, I wonder if Lada have something similar in mind...

It's funny but my wife has just said something similar. What odds that the PR men at Lotus will be pushing for that to become a reality. How much capital can they gain out of that assocaition?

It's funny but my wife has just said something similar. What odds that the PR men at Lotus will be pushing for that to become a reality. How much capital can they gain out of that assocaition?

Its got to be on their minds, hasn't it, what with the Black Lotus branding. If only they'd finished 6th in the WCC last year...!

I sincerely hope Robert makes a full recovery, he's one of my favourite drivers in the sport and it wouldn't be the same without him.

I certainly hope he makes a rapid and complete recovery. The blood supply problem to the hand is worrisome.

I have to admit, whenever I hear pronouncements such a these concerning an injured driver, I always have in the back of my mind that I heard the same concerning Ronnie Peterson after his wreck. Thank God medicine has progressed so far in the interim.

Too right, siffert_fan. Latest news I've seen (via Adam Cooper's blog) is that his surgeons say a week before they know whether the hand's function can be saved, and from there likely a year before he'll be able to use the arm again if they can save it.

Got to feel very sorry for BobKub, and wish him a speedy recovery.

Thanks for the update Pyrope (and welcome to the site).

Unfortunately that news seems to have put paid to Robert's participation in F1 this year, and possibly for good.

Too right, siffert_fan. Latest news I've seen (via Adam Cooper's blog) is that his surgeons say a week before they know whether the hand's function can be saved, and from there likely a year before he'll be able to use the arm again if they can save it.

Got to feel very sorry for BobKub, and wish him a speedy recovery.

After reading that news, you can't help but remember Alessandro Nannini and his awful accident in 1990. I hope for Robert's sake this doesn't mark the end of an extremely promising F1 career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Nannini

Thanks Brogan. Been feeling my way around a little and this looks like a great site. Well done!

It would be a huge loss to Formula One if Kubica doesn't get back up to 100%. He's the only guy I've seen lately who doesn't yet have a Championship under his belt but looked deserving of one.

Terribly bad news from his surgeon. What's of note is that he mentioned that the arm is well vascularised and that's a very good thing, obviously the great risk here is the recovery of the full ability with that arm/hand judging by the tendon and nerve reconstruction that's gone on. All the comments were about his arm in that interview though - any news on the leg?

It does all seem to be focused around his hand which is where the greatest threat is although Rossello mentioned that his recovery included that of multiple trauma's. Having said that Rossello is a hand surgeon.

There are some positives here. There is a time frame on potential recovery and re his leg we have seen with fractures that they aren't career ending. I guess the next few days are going to be crucial in understanding whether we might see him back for 2012/13.

I do hope so - Pyrope is absolutely right about his ability.

Here is an autosport release which gives details of the surgery and of Boullier's views on his rallying.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89315

Terrible news :(

I think the fact that they have come out and said that the hand was actually partially severed shows that he will not be participating this season, even with the speediest of recoveries. Even though the blood supply to the hand has been fixed (thank god), there was bound to have been resultant nerve damage, which in all honesty would probably have been a secondary concern to saving the hand itself. Sadly it would not surprise me if he needs a second operation in an attempt to repair that damage. I guess we will know more in a weeks time. All the best Robert...

Will this guy get any luck?! Seriously, it's ridiculous that he has already been involved in 3 very serious crashes - the first in 2003 as a passenger; the second in 2007 in that horrific incident at Montreal; and now this. Drivers nowadays tend to come away unscathed from such incidents but the fact that he has been badly injured in all 3 at only the age of 26 is plain unfortunate.

It's bad enough he's out for the season but it would be absolutely devastating for Renault, fellow drivers, the fans and most of all Robert if this ends his career in F1. Here's hoping it doesn't because he clearly has world champion potential.

Well i dont think i can really add to what other people have said, sounds very worrying that he has been put in an induced coma, that his hand was partly severed.

The first reports that came out had smacks of Nannini, but with the artices that came out last evening even more so.
What ever happens with his carrer,I hope he gets well soon, I wish Kubica the very best for the future.

Will this guy get any luck?! Seriously, it's ridiculous that he has already been involved in 3 very serious crashes - the first in 2003 as a passenger; the second in 2007 in that horrific incident at Montreal; and now this. Drivers nowadays tend to come away unscathed from such incidents but the fact that he has been badly injured in all 3 at only the age of 26 is plain unfortunate.

It's bad enough he's out for the season but it would be absolutely devastating for Renault, fellow drivers, the fans and most of all Robert if this ends his career in F1. Here's hoping it doesn't because he clearly has world champion potential.

I bet he'll be staying indoors throughout 2015! Poor luck for Robert, the one most likely to inflitrate the current 'big 3'. Let's hope we see him back in F1 soon.

On the principle of the whole injury outside F1 saga, I don't think wrapping your drivers in cotton wool is an option. The drivers are adrenalin 'junkies' and you can't just switch that part of you off when your not in an F1 car. Being on edge is what they thrive on. Accidents can and do happen. It would be just as easy for Jenson Button for example to do himself an injury during his triathlon etc, I'm sure all the drivers partake in many things that can harm you. Tough one for any team management I'm sure...

I hope he gets though this. He will of course have the best support available.

There's a report on PlanetF1 saying that Kubica could be back before the end of the season. They need another week to see how his hand responds to the treatment but all signs are positive.

http://planetf1.com/news/3213/6735551/Doc-Optimistic-But-Only-Time-Will-Tell

This video is from the car following Kubica's at the time of the crash. There's no footage of the actual incident but you can see how far the crash barrier penetrated the car. It is towards the end of the video.

I too want to add my wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Robert and my thoughts are with him and his family.

It's been a while since I took an interest in rallying and this brings home just how little room for error there is in that sport. My rally memories are all from Group B racing through the Welsh forests in the early 80's. Trees will kill but when you see the close proximity of all that stone...

I'm tempted to retract, or at least modify, my comments from the Desert Circuits thread but I would hope it was reasonably clear that punishing an 'off' doesn't have to mean an injury is involved. What this accident does highlight is the incredible differences between the hazards and risks an F1 driver faces and those in WRC. The call (Bernie's call) for more and more street circuits should be carefully considered.

It is impossible to disagree with any of the sentiments and assessments of Roberts huge potential and talent and Renault / Lotus / Lada (take your pick) have an unenviable decision to make. I suspect they will have no option to go with Senna as the named reserve driver but it will surely bugger up a hugely promising year; judging by first testing results.

Quick Nick has to be the default preferred driver if they have a free hand to choose who they can but I suspect Nick's days in f1 have now gone...

Back
Top Bottom