Robert Kubica Injured In Rally

I am surprised that his F1 contract permits this outside activity. It doesn't seem sensible to let your lead driver place his life and health in jeopardy in endeavors that have nothing to do with his primary responsiblity. Now the team's chances are lessened.

Yeah, you're not the only one, Mark Webber fell off his bike in shock!

You never know what Kubica wanted to sign, maybe he put in his contract he wanted to go rallying and Renault thought "What could go wrong?"

I apologise for not being the first to mention Nick Heidfeld, he would be a great option, but there is that risk he embarrasses Petrov and Lada can say goodbye to some petrodollars (and Lada!). I think the Russians can cope with their man being embarrassed by Kubica, but not necessarily by the substitute.

No he's not. I've said about him elsewhere. I just can't see Renault wanting to have a season with the Senna/Petrov lineup.

I can't believe this. It is bad enough that this season is ruined, but for them to be talking about it as even more serious is really worrying. This is certainly a driver who, despite his already impressive success, has yet to reach his full potential.

Get better soon Robert.
disappointed.gif

I can't believe this. It is bad enough that this season is ruined, but for them to be talking about it as even more serious is really worrying. This is certainly a driver who, despite his already impressive success, has yet to reach his full potential.

Indeed, John, I was (and hopefully still will be) looking forward to a Championship fight involving Kubica, maybe against Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel.

He had a really good 2010, and he was looking good last week, and this will set him back for 2011 at the very least.

You can see now why some teams prohibit their drivers from participating in certain activities.

This is going to severely harm Renault as less points means less money at the end of the season.

I can't believe they have let him. I understand that during off-season doing some extra racing is good to keep them sharp but so soon to the start of the season, when pre-season testing has already started, and any even minor injury could leave them out of the first few grand prix's. It just seems bizzare. You'd think most teams would rap their assets in bubble rap and put them in storage for a while.

Would it be an option to find a different replacement driver a la Ferrari after Massa was out? If so who would be available?

If they can get him then this must be something they will think about or maybe see if they can get Hulk from Force India. I would imagine they wouldn't want to run 2 pay drivers when they are saying they want to challenge for the title.

Had a quick look on 606, someone mentioned an announcement at 3pm UK time, but no source for that. Also mention of Kimi but I can't really see it happening (and he may not be what the team needs) Hulk is a good thought too given that Renault have talked about recent experience, he had more races last season than Senna with a team that developed their car and so is in with a shout.

Problem: We've got a good driver, who's injured because he goes rally driving when he gets the chance

The solution to this problem is emphatically not Kimi Raikkonen

I'd agree that Kimi isn't the solution, but the problem probably isn't the rallying. If we are taking Kubica's 1 accident from rallying to mean any driver who goes rallying would get injured, then what does that mean for any driver who goes on a mountain bike?

Why is everyone writing off Senna? Last year he may have been the worst driver in the worst car but he will have around 2 or 3 months to show what he can do in a capable car.

When Kubica returns from his injuries he will have his race seat back but there may be competition for the second seat.

Kubica may not actually miss much of the season, when Schumacher broke his leg it wasn't long before he was back in the car and racing.

Kubia has also reportedly broken his left arm.His leaft arm has titanium bolts in from a previous road accident in a passenger car.
I guessed the Kimi fans would soon appear.Kimi has commited to WRC next year with his own team.If he fails to honour that contract then his rallying days are over for good.

I follow Renault on Facebook, and this just appeared,
After extensive medical checks, Robert has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand. He is undergoing surgery at the Santa Corona Hospital.

Poor Robert :(

Here's hoping he has a speedy recovery. I just need to point out the beeb article however, saying that due to the presence of the titanium bolts already in his harm, that this could end his F1 career. Lets hope this is not the case. Also, he will need full mobility in his hand, and loss there and he will struggle greatly in F1. I suppose we will know more when the hospital releases its statement - later on today.

Apparently a piece of metal barrier pierced the car, which is why Robert's most serious injuries are to his right side (in a left-hand drive car), not the left. Sounds very nasty indeed, and if true the co-driver was quite lucky to get out unscathed as well.

Bummer for Bob - but this is what these guys do and sometimes it turns round and bites them.

He's young and should mend quickly, so. hopefully, no lasting damage.

Firstly, I hope Robert is back on his feet as soon as possible and we haven't seen the end of the road for an extremely talented F1 driver.

Secondly, as far as a replacement goes, Renault have three test sessions in which to trial a new driver so they won't be in any rush to name a replacement. From their point of view that will at least be a small blessing.

As to who that replacement will be? Obviously every un-signed driver in F1 will be beating a path to their door but I would have thought they would look to Senna first.

Back
Top Bottom