RIP Professor Sid Watkins

I've only just heard the news. To echo everyone else's sentiments, it's to Sid's eternal credit that F1 in particular is as safe as it is now. "Life at the limit" is a fantastic book and a great insight into what Sid brought to F1 - I'm sure most on here will have read it, but if you haven't, it's well worth it. He was a real character too, and popular with drivers and teams alike. I work in the healthcare industry and too many talented medics are arrogant, aloof and just plain rude. From what I've read from his patients outside of motorsport Sid was an all round lovely bloke with a wicked sense of humour, as well as a superb physician.

Snowy is right to say he's a loss to humanity. RIP Sid.

Sid knocked on the door of the F1 drivers' lounge in heaven to be answered by St. Peter.

StP: Sorry, people who have driven in F1 only can come in here.
SW: But there's plenty of space.
StP: That is as maybe, but the rules are clear.

Behind the apostle, Ayrton Senna had arrived with two fishing rods and a bag of bait.

AS: Let him in.
StP: But he's not a driver.
AS: He said there was plenty of space in here. Ever wondered why? This is Sid Watkins, let him in.

RIP Sid.

The sheer number of people who are expressing such a great sense of loss, and the stories which abound goes some small way to articulate the level of impact the Professor had on the sport, and there are many who's lives would have been very different, even foreshortened were it not for his interventions. RIP Sid, may your legacy live on.

As my father would say, "He's now racing clouds around the sky having a great laugh"! Sid Watkins, one of the few well known non-driver names in F1 that is recognized for all the very best reasons. :goodday:

I don't think the F1 build up is the right place for an hour long program on Sid Watkins so I would be very surprised if they do that.

They couldv'e called the great Turn 8 at Turkey 'Watkins corner'. Perhaps Interlagos would be the most fitting of current circuits considering his relationship with Senna - maybe the Curva do Sol that comes after the Senna S?

Or a statue outside FIA HQ?

Sid knocked on the door of the F1 drivers' lounge in heaven to be answered by St. Peter.

StP: Sorry, people who have driven in F1 only can come in here.
SW: But there's plenty of space.
StP: That is as maybe, but the rules are clear.

Behind the apostle, Ayrton Senna had arrived with two fishing rods and a bag of bait.

AS: Let him in.
StP: But he's not a driver.
AS: He said there was plenty of space in here. Ever wondered why? This is Sid Watkins, let him in.

RIP Sid.

If there's a CTA prize for 'Post of the Year' then this gets my vote.

If they can't go back to Watkins Glen (which is fair enough with the emphasis on safety that Sid devoted 30+ years working for) then maybe transfer the name the New Jersey track?
Only problem I see is that 'USGP-East' probably won't last long enough to be a fitting memorial.

Back
Top Bottom