Technical Red Bull's Front Wing (Revisited)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90581 Ferrari has revealed it is planning to introduce its own version of Red Bull Racing's 'flexible' front wing soon in a bid to help close the gap to the front of the field.
After ongoing intrigue in Malaysia about the behaviour of Red Bull Racing's front wing, following fresh questions from McLaren about the RB7's characteristics, a number of rival teams are now expected to harness the concept.
Brawn said that there was no question about Red Bull Racing's legality, and that the only options going forward were for either even more stringent FIA tests to tighten up that area of car design, or for rival outfits to copy it.
"It is an interesting point at the moment," he said. "You have to pass an FIA test and, if you pass an FIA test, then that is a measure. That is the only measure there is.
"Their wing probably gets tested more than anyone else's. I think there are two developments that will come - either the tests change or more people will move in that direction because it brings greater efficiency. That is where it is.

To be honest Speshal he does have a point. As much as we disagree with it, the car is legal and there isn't much McLaren or the others can do about it apart from attempting to copy the design

I didn't say he was wrong, but to hold such a position, whilst also being employed as a BBC commentator does seem a little at odds.

And I wasn't implying you were saying that :whistle:. But then doesn't Brundle have a newspaper column as well?

What did everyone make of the Red Bull cars this weekend passed?

After Horners comments in the lead-up i was watching the cars quite closely. Certainly McLaren were running a lot more rake than had been obvious previously, from memory, and the RBs certainly do run what seems like enormous amounts of rake, like a 70s hot rod LOL, but i didn't see their front wing flexing to the ground quite as much as has been seen. Im not sure if this was just down to the track or what, but could it also be a slightly tamer wing in an effort to make the physical element slightly less obvious? (they must be on their 5th / 6th incarnation of the system now, ie. have a very good understanding of their system)

Another thing. Unfortunately for RB, we see the front wing a lot... its obvious what it is doing, but what about all the other aero devices on the car? Whilst everyone is talking about the wing, RB will be applying the principle to everything on the car. I know there were issues with, inc. RB, several teams floors last year, but there are many other more subtle devices that will compliment the wings etc. How many of these also take advantage of RBs research into aeroelasticity?

If Ferrari and McLaren are as far behind with this as they would have us believe, then they have an awful lot of work to do to get their aero package complementing each part on the car like the RB does. On the other hand, both teams in the race had reasonable pace compared to the RBs and appear to have taken a chunk from RBs cushion. If this step in speed has been made without the development of their aeroelasticity understanding (I happen to think McLaren have taken strides in their understanding and begun exploiting it), then when they do get their heads round it, RB could find themselves getting swallowed up... right around the time the FIA get a handle on it and put it all to bed :rolleyes:

Well there you are, some observations from the race and the continuing flexy dilemma... what did you make of it all?

The Red Bulls qualifying pace has rarely been truly reflected in their race pace. They admitted that they made a substantial compromise setting the car up for the race in Malaysia and clearly McLaren made a lot of compromises setting the car up for qualifying.

We don't know how much faster the Red Bull could have gone but Lewis was quicker than Sebastian in the second stint and Fernando was matching and exceeding Jenson and Lewis during other critical phases of the race. In Australia Fernando was adamant that qualifying well was not going to be the be all and end all and that he had aimed for 5th place, focusing his attention on race pace.

The RB was running a very obvious rake at the weekend but I didn't notice it too much on the McLaren. I did however note that the RB front wing wasn't bending nearly as much as we've seen in the past, (I always look at the wingtips from the onboard camreas). Different setups for different tracks then?

Different wings for different circuits I believe. It occurs to me that faster circuits deflect the wing more, so they have to use a slightly less bendy wing on circuits with a high top speed.

They were in fact caught out in Melbourne weren't they? They spent rather a lot of time repairing and shaving bits off the end plates on Sebastian's front wing on Friday.

Different wings for different circuits I believe. It occurs to me that faster circuits deflect the wing more, so they have to use a slightly less bendy wing on circuits with a high top speed.

They were in fact caught out in Melbourne weren't they? They spent rather a lot of time repairing and shaving bits off the end plates on Sebastian's front wing on Friday.

That makes sense...and yes, they did spend some time either shaving or repairing the wings in Melbourne. :whistle:

In another installment of speculation surrounding the RBR front wing, I was just watching the 2008 Chinese GP and I noticed something a bit peculiar with Mark Webber's front wing in that race.

Down the back straight, the Red Bull wing was shaking pretty violently, a lot more than other cars' front wings. When the video is slowed down it is obvious that there is a lot of flexing movement with the wing, but it looks rather wild and uncontrollable. Could they have been experimenting with flex-wing technology back in 2008?

Here's a video that looks at the RBR, McLaren, and Renault front wings at China 08.

Here's a video that looks at the RBR, McLaren, and Renault front wings at China 08.

Hmm I think that's more to do with the turbulent air coming from Barrichello's car rather than the front wing flexing, because didn't we see (at Spa 2010) Vettel's wing shaking more in the wake of Button's car?

If they'd have complained about it then, they might have got somewhere.

No-one gave a toss if the Red Bull was illegal in 2008 though, did they?

No-one gave a toss if the Red Bull was illegal in 2008 though, did they?

I don't think it was illegal, and there wasn't really any reason to care anyway.

This video footage just made me start thinking about how difficult it has been for McLaren and others to replicate the RB6/7's front wing characteristics. If RBR has been working on this front wing technology since at least 2008, then it's really no surprise that the other teams cannot magically harness the capabilities that a controllable front wing flex can unleash.

Back
Top Bottom