Qualifying Format

This is from the same thread I posted earlier in the year:

http://cliptheapex.com/attachments/CTA-jpg.2122/

Since then we've had:

Hungary (Buemi 18) finished 8th
Belgium (di Resta 18) finished 11th (Schumacher 24) finished 5th
Italy (Alguersuari 18) finished 7th

Thanks!

You would have to say that qualifier P18 has been extraordinarily successful this year. Only twice completing a race out of the points. (If you're not one of the slow 6)

I have also noticed that there is a distinct advantage to qualifying 18th vs 17th. This is clearly because you can save at least one and perhaps two sets of option tyres for the race, as Keke has pointed out.

It might even be possible to save all 3 sets of optiions and still qualify there although I don't think anyone has tried that deliberately although Webber did earlier this season. Just look at how many times in Fantasy F1, the 10 points you lose for missing out in Q1 means you get 20 points for making up the most places.

I think a tweak to the tyre rules would be better, eg giving everyone who makes it through each section an extra set of options. Something like those knocked out in Q1 have only 2 sets for qually & race. Those out in Q2 have three sets and those in Q4 have 4 sets?

I think a tweak to the tyre rules would be better, eg giving everyone who makes it through each section an extra set of options.

Ideally, this is what you would do. It seems backwards to reward the lower qualifiers. Unfortunately, Pirelli are looking to bring less tires to meetings instead of more.

This is why Qualifying only tyres should return, it may seem more wasteful as more tyres are used over a GP but the biggest tyre cost is development, it doesn't cost much more to make extra sets once you have developed the compound, tooling and the other manufacturing processes involved.

Just look at how many times in Fantasy F1, the 10 points you lose for missing out in Q1 means you get 20 points for making up the most places.

Slightly off topic but I think that FF1 rule should be changed from most positions gained to most overtakes in the race. It definitely rewards the driver who works the hardest even though he may end up exactly where he started! I know its a tough variable to use as it has to be determined by our own OT panel and not information supplied by the FIA.

Back
Top Bottom