Plans for 'ignore feature'.

Will you use the ignore feature?

• Yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters
The software will be upgraded this summer. I can't give an exact date as it hasn't been made public yet.

One of the new features will be the ability to ignore other members.

It's optional so if you don't wish to use it, you don't have to.

It should be labelled 'cop out' button

A forum should be governed by its rules and its moderators, and not be arbitrary actions of members with special needs or requiring extra nannying

As in real life, Hyde Park Speakers corner, if one hangs about and hears views unpalatable, repetitive or disagreeable, one moves on and finds another soapbox. As long as the speakers are not offensive or breaking the law by threats, racism, terrorism etc etc, then its part of the fabric of society and can be as revealing as a window on it, especially in this age of heavy media censorship and bias (and hacking)

The blocking feature in itself is probably a great bit of technology, however it could make discussions disjointed and haphazard, with members posting exactly the same thing that another (blocked to them) member had just posted,

It could lower the tone and detract from the elegance and, dare I say, class of this particular forum

Having said that I am willing to bet that no one actually uses it, because the ones that take umbrage at the opinions of others most, tend to be the ones who are most in the market to hear the views of others.

Most people are brought up to conform and to stifle their own opinions and thoughts to 'get on', the outspoken, the divergent thinkers etc will tend to be the ones who attract strong reactions, they are also the ones that have opinions different from normal, and its the something new and different that drives debate. I enjoy hearing from these types also

Of course some of them will just be complete pains in the arse

Ignore functionality is fairly standard in most forum software.

As the software we're using is brand new on the market, it was released with just the core features and over time more will be added with each new release.

Again, it will be up to individual members whether they use the new features or not.

I agree with CFS on this one actually - I know I won't be using the "ignore" function, as it kind of defeats the whole object of a forum anyway. Everyone should have the opportunity to express their viewpoint, even if it conflicts with the viewpoints of others. There is always the option to sit on one's hands and not respond to an opinion you find disagreeable (an option that perhaps I should have employed yesterday...)

Ignore functionality is fairly standard in most forum software.

As the software we're using is brand new on the market, it was released with just the core features and over time more will be added with each new release.

Again, it will be up to individual members whether they use the new features or not.

No need for that Bro.I simply don't read any posts and have take CFS advice and gone to another forum more suitable to my taste.

I simply don't read any posts and have take CFS advice and gone to another forum more suitable to my taste.
As long as the site appeals to a broad section of members then that's the best we can do.

I would still say even now, after our posting rate has increased 5 fold in the last 6 months, that we have one of the best behaved forums with very few issues.
That is largely down to the rules, the members who know what is acceptable and what isn't, and in no small part to the moderators who put their time and energy into maintaining the high standards.

If, as you say, the site isn't suitable for you, then that is of course regrettable, but there's very little we can do about that.

I agree with CFS on this one actually - I know I won't be using the "ignore" function, as it kind of defeats the whole object of a forum anyway. Everyone should have the opportunity to express their viewpoint, even if it conflicts with the viewpoints of others. There is always the option to sit on one's hands and not respond to an opinion you find disagreeable (an option that perhaps I should have employed yesterday...)

Very noble of you to admit this and apologies for the harsh words. This is the way the forum should be.

I have no idea why I voted yes. I'm a moderator!

I did use ignore on one ex-member on the old software, it made the forum a better place. EL_NANDO, by the way, if you were wondering!

Not sure I would use the "ignore" option ..... would depend how it worked, though.

If the comment of the "ignored" poster was completely invisible the whole flow of the discussion could be lost, and what would happen to later comments which quoted an "ignored" posting? ..... would these be invisible to me as well?

If the option was taken, I think anyone choosing it should still see that their "ignored" poster has made a comment and have the chance to view it..... on the off-chance that this time it may be relevant, readable, constructive or whatever the reason was that the "ignore" button had been pressed in the first place.

Personally, I ignore Marmite, deep-fried anything, MacDonalds, creamy sauces, Eastenders, Jake Humphrey :clip:and The Sun (to name a few) but will sometimes try bite-sized portions to check if they (or my tastes) have changed.:nah:

Likewise, on here, I skim read postings from some:crazy: while giving more time to others ..... just like in real life.:)

If the comment of the "ignored" poster was completely invisible the whole flow of the discussion could be lost, and what would happen to later comments which quoted an "ignored" posting? ..... would these be invisible to me as well?
In every case the comments would be completely hidden from you.

If the option was taken, I think anyone choosing it should still see that their "ignored" poster has made a comment and have the chance to view it
That's how the ignore function works in vBulletin.
I'm not sure if it will be the same here.

I don't see the issue, when the feature is available you choose whether or not you want to use it, that's it.

I've used it on one other forum, only on two to three people where their posts were generally illegible and when decoded were absolutely meaningless. It's not something I've seen on CTA so I don't expect to need to use the function.

There have been occasions when I have been moved to "press" the report button. Sometimes I have felt in retrospect that it may have been a knee jerk reaction on my part and, had I wished to do so, had no way of retracting my report. I perceive the facility of an ignore button to be rather more personal in its application since only I would be affected by its use. If I chose to ignore someone who elicits an over-reaction from me I would cause that person no harm by ignoring them. However, reporting them due to my unreasonable knee jerking may cause harm to them by attracting unnecessary or unreasonable attention of moderators.

I am a relative newcomer to forums of any kind so maybe I've got the wrong idea but on some other forums I've seen "spoilers" applied to posts due to their potentially offensive content. As you know, these allow the reader to make their own decision as to whether or not they view the content via a "reveal" or "un-hide" button. I think that the objections to the "Ignore Button" are more pertinent to that kind of device since the poster of an item perceived by someone to be offensive is marked, rightly or wrongly, for all to see.

Where the choice is placed in my fingertip as to whether or not I, alone, wish to ignore someone has to be a better option, both for me and for the person who may, innocently or otherwise, offend my sensibilities. For these reasons I would like the facility to be available and freely admit that on occasion (thankfully rare on CTA) I may wish to use it.

If anyone is at all offended by my above remarks (since I seem to be in a minority on this one) please let me know and I will happily clarify any points that I have made that may have given rise to any misunderstanding of my own, very personal, position.

Typical. Let's all have a go at jenson :D

Seriously though, I can't imagine myself using the ignore button, although i could imagine being ignored!!! I have used the function on another forum and found it spoiled the threads, and also only served to show the poster in question had some very good points from time to time, and ignoring only served to highlight their entries. I now just scan posts first, and try not to react to anything negatively.

Not a fan of iggy buttons, sure you get pure clowns and that is about the only justification for it, but to be honest there is hardly anything of such a nature and will only result in stiffled debate.

Back
Top Bottom