Pitlane Access Safety Gate Loose Wheel Thingy

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
NEWS

The FIA has announced that it is immediately tightening safety by limiting pitlane access during grands prix and qualifying sessions to team personnel and marshals only.

The move comes in the wake of the accident which befell a Formula One Management cameraman during Sunday's German Grand Prix and means that approved media will henceforth be confined to the pitwall.

In a statement released on Tuesday evening, the governing body also said it would use the World Motor Sport Council to immediately approve two amendments to the Sporting Regulations.

The change to Article 23.11 means that all team personnel working on a car during pit stops will require head protection.

Meanwhile, the amended Article 30.12 will reduce the pitlane speed limit during races from 100 km/h to 80 km/h. For the street circuits in Melbourne, Monaco and Singapore, the speed limit will remain 60 km/h.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...pitlane-access-to-team-personnel-and-marshals

Popping in and out of peoples back doors.....:unsure:

Would Ted be allowed in the garages? they are open to the pits and speeding cars, tyres burning fuel etc as well.
If he did choose the paddock then he would have no access to the principles on the pit wall as he can't cross the pit lane.

This sounds rubbish.

On the Sky post race show Ted noted that there is a line marking Pitlane from Garage, and the line is well outside the garage which would still enable Theodore to traverse the Pits in standard fashion. He brought it up as the reason he's allowed to sport questionably safe attire.

You'd think some of the teams would moan about the speed limit change, like some of the teams moaned when changing the tyres was suggested. Reducing the speed limit favours the teams who may be able to make fewer stops.

Will Buxton on Twitter
FIA making dumb response. As expected. Reacting to consequence, not issue. Helmets wouldn’t have helped Paul. Nor speed limit. Stupid. Same in GP3 and GP2. Dealing with consequences not the simple problems that can be nipped in the bud. Wake up FIA. You're doing it wrong. New regs won't change how we work pitlane. TV are on FOM not FIA passes. We know rules. Work within them. Very clear. Break them, pass taken We have no pitlane access in qualifying or race. There is a red line over which nobody, not FIA media, not FOM media can pass. We have never been allowed to cross active pit road to pit wall. Again, big talk from governing body. Doesn't change a thing. The FOM RF cameramen, of which Paul is one, are v experienced and limited in pitlane. This was a freak accident. Reaction sadly predictable.

It may require teams to adjust their strategy there is an easy calculation which will give the exact amount of extra time lost due to the 20kph for instance 25 seconds total between the limit markers less the stop which we shall call 5 seconds 3 seconds standing still and 1 second stopping and starting (Just a guess.) this leaves 20 seconds on the limiter a reduction of 20kph is as it turns out in this case 20% and so 20% of 20 seconds = an extra four second net loss per pitstop.

Dependant on which track you are at, so obviously this could screw some teams -with tyre wear issues- over in quite a big way...

im sure it has been mentioned before, but i am fairly sure there would be a relatively simple way of fitting sensors to the wheel to ensure correct fitment, and not allowing the driver to engage the clutch or something if the wheel is not engaged properly.

Yep that seem to be the Macca's motto these days, lets take something that is quite simple and works extremely well, such a push rod suspension turn it upside down make it incredibly complex and impossible to predict or understand....

I think the speed reduction would of helped the camera man. It looked like Webbers car had already accelerated up to 100kph (which only takes a second or so) when the wheel came off. So the loose wheel was moving at 100 kph when it struck. Surely if it was going at 80kph any impact would have caused less severe injury.

Overall, a typical Health and Safety kneejerk reaction - see it all the time throughout the Steel business. The latest one was an apprentice who borrowed a penknife to open a parcel and cut himself, requiring a plaster and an incident report. The resulting panel concluded that we are now no longer allowed to use open blades at work, and we have these pathetic closed-blade things that are frankly useless. I resent the implication that I am unfit to handle a sharp knife at work, when I use them all the time at home - sadly this is what happens when you allow solicitors to, er, solicit for business: you end up with a litigious society, where everyone is terrified of getting sued, and every single action or process is lathered in a colossal bum-plating exercise of "Safe Working Procedures".
Look - I appreciate that it is far better to leave work with the same number of appendages that you arrived with, and many processes in the Steel industry definitely require adherence to SWPs, but sometimes you really do have to allow people to exercise some Common Sense, otherwise you'll foster a culture where people play the H&S card when they don't feel like doing something.

Here concludeth the rant...:goodday:

I guess the real issue here is that you have cameramen who are not able to be fully aware of their surroundings in a dangerous dynamic environment. There could be any number of scenarios where someone could get injured, not just flying wheels. Perhaps the speed lane reduction might help but then a wheel moving at 80kph is not going to hurt much less than one travelling at 100kph - both have the capacity to kill you.

Take the cameramen out and install more remote cameras through the pit lane. My viewing pleasure is not going to be spoiled because I can't see the back of the Torro Ross being jacked up during it's pit stop but I might stop watching if someone gets an arm taken off live on a Sunday afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom