Pirelli 2012 compounds?

There seems to be a lot of head scratching over what is the right approach to Soft / Hard tyre strategies;

I think we can catagorically say that you can't squeeze to much out of these tyres or you end up being compromised, the softs under proper racing conditions don't last longer than 15 odd laps before going South, While the hard compound lasts but reduces performance astronomically.

I think if there is a time to run hards it is at the start of the race and perhaps when the conditions are less rubbered down and track temp is not up to its max, that leaves 60+ % of the race on softs in there optimum performance range/ least degradation.

Strategy-wise, the only reason to run the Hard would be to save yourself a pitstop (perhaps even two) [snip] On a 60-lap race, if you want to save 30s in the pitlane you need your tyres to be no more than 0.5s/lap slower than the opposition.

Do you think we would still have the overtaking then though?

Slow down / lengthen the pitlane instead then? To increase the cost of a stop?

That table seems to prove that tyres are much more effective in overtaking than DRS. I know these totals are for Spain, but the high total in turkey may be due to the fast bend where the car in front on older tyres had to back off slightly letting the other breeze past.

Slow down / lengthen the pitlane instead then? To increase the cost of a stop?

I think it will balance itself out as you will be forced to make x number of stops, but right now if you are banking on the hard tyre to get you onto the podium or win the race it is a gamble not worth taking if your opponant has better tyres. I am not saying make the hard compound similar to the softer, just give it more play as right now nobody trusts the hard tyre.

How about an idea that has come out of the ACO and Le Mans - make the teams run through the pitlane solely on KERS power? Makes KERS more relevant, slows the pitstops down (probably?) and has the neat side-effect of preventing Red Bull running away with the titles?

What about KERSless Lotus, Virgin and HRT? Or should they just live with it?

Nice work on the breakdown Galahad.

We had very minimal running on the "Super-Hard" so far, and Pirelli have already shown a willingness to tinker with their compounds, so I think they'll be liking to strike a better balance in the future.

Interesting to see that a lot of the Midfield teams 3 stopped in Spain. With all the action going on up front it is good to see the chart and see who has stopped the most. IMHO 3 stops is what we could be looking at in future races when the hard tyre is needed. I think the Soft and the Super-soft last alot longer than must people would have thought, so in the GP's that use those compounds i can see it only been a 2 stop race. Could be wrong but thats the impression i'm getting anyway.

It's a good point you raise hammy, but the ones that did the 3 stops got lapped, while the 4 stoppers cruised away.

Just thought I'd update this thread with the Canada chart.

GPUpdate.net_InDepthTyreAnalysis_Montreal_2011.jpg

All of the analysis and charts are listed here on the right hand side: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/photo-galleries/7147/in-depth-tyre-analysis/

Back
Top Bottom