Poll Out of Ten - 2014 Japanese Grand Prix

2014 Japanese Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
I would think the support races are completely expendable. And while it is true that television numbers might well suffer from moving the start time up, I wouldn't expect track attendance to suffer much, as the prospect of horrible weather tends to keep would-be spectators (even those who have already bought their tickets) away in droves.

Mephistopheles - they wanted 3pm because the organisers thought it could get a full crowd by then and off course there is the issue of TV audiences because 1pm is actually 5am UK time which I think would be the only audience who have an issue with that in Europe

Jen I can't help feeling your attitude would be slightly different if it had been Fernando in the crash.

I'm not judging anyone for voting on this, saying they shouldn't vote or even discuss the race its just that one of my favourite drivers has been involved in a near fatal accident and I don't really feel like rating the race until I know exactly what is going on there.

Sorry if it seems like weeping and wailing.

Last edited:
The worst of the weather was due to hit today (Monday) and the forecast for the Sumday morning was looking a lot better than Sunday afternoon. They had several days of a pretty accurate forecast to make a decision on. I think this was poor planning by the race promoters. Also the BBC mentioned the bullet train tickets were timed ones. If such a large percentage of the crowd were coming on the bullet train (which I'm slightly sceptical of) then why couldn't the promoters have asked the train company for a bit of leeway?

Jen We all know it is dangerous, as do the drivers. I think I'm a cynic myself, but I can't help feeling sad when something happens to a person who puts their life in danger for our entertainment. That's why I gave the race a 1.

I won't be voting because I have no idea how to rate it. I will just say that I was enjoying the race until the crash. Lewis was my driver of the day. After the crash I then went into a depression for the rest of the day and had way too much whiskey. Now I have a hangover. Everything crossed Jules pulls through and the FIA ban tractors on track.

Just a thought on this car-recovery thing. I remember back in the days when I started watching the races, that sometimes cars were just left where they ended up. Now I'm obviously not saying that this should happen after every crash, but there might be situations (like yesterday) when it would be safer to just leave the car there instead of a bunch of people and dangerous vehicles coming on.

A lot of it depends on the reason why the car needed recovery. When Alonso retired he still had enough power in his car to pull off to one side and park up safely which is quite common for mechanical retirements.

Sutil crashed due to the conditions on the high speed corner, it has been seen many times that cars follow each other off the track in tricky conditions. Leaving the cars there isn't an option in that case, I will expect there to be a crane at that corner from now on though,

To Dario Resta, RasputinLives and GermanF1.

I would be 'upset' whoever was in hospital and am fully aware of the dangers involved - even BE can't prevent freak accidents.

I am also aware that no driver feels perfectly safe. They like to challenge Fate a bit and I might suggest that danger is part of the attraction. Otherwise what would be the point and why should they not continue in their chosen path - because that is part of their character.

To even suggest that I have a preference as to who is maimed, suggests that you really don't know me RasputinLives.

GermanF1, drivers do nothing for 'our entertainment' - they race for their own needs and only the PR part of their contract would make them make comment on lack of audience.

Dario Resta 'acceptably dangerous', what the Hell is that? And what would remove the stricken cars - human power alone, a timely prayer or a tractor or crane?

I don't downplay anyone's emotions; I do question the need to vent them at every given chance.

Jen I have never claimed to know you. Nor was my post some sort of attack on you but merely a response to explain why I said I wouldn't vote. I have not stated anyones opinion is right or wrong but just my own. I said what I did about Fernando as your posting history makes it clear you are a fan just as mine does Bianchi. I was in no way indicating you don't care about someone because you don't like them.

You seem very defensive on your own view point and were even when you made the original post which is very odd.

I understand your view point I was just telling you mine.

This is difficult and emotive but I chose to vote based on the race alone and not factoring in the accident. It could be argued many races we consider "classic" from days gone past featured severe injuries and death but that doesn't always feature in our memory of the race. I was pleasantly surprised at what a good race this was as my expectations were very low. I thought Lewis's overtake of Nico was breathtaking.

Jen I have never claimed to know you. Nor was my post some sort of attack on you but merely a response to explain why I said I wouldn't vote. I have not stated anyones opinion is right or wrong but just my own. I said what I did about Fernando as your posting history makes it clear you are a fan just as mine does Bianchi. I was in no way indicating you don't care about someone because you don't like them.

You seem very defensive on your own view point and were even when you made the original post which is very odd.

I understand your view point I was just telling you mine.

Of course I am defensive - I'm not PC and have my own standards which don't gel with modern etiquette nor most on this forum.

Perhaps your 'attack' was not intended but I have noticed that should anyone disagree, you always bring out their 'preferences' and use it as a spur. Perhaps, I am wrong - should that be the case I would apologise.

Jen You were defensive before anyone even posted a response likes you assumed everyone was going to attack you. Why is that? We have a wide range of views and political stances on this forum so what makes you think your view will be a complete outsider to everyone elses? I'm sute your not the only one.

As I said in my original posting. I am not voting as I'm upset about Bianchi. I do not pass judgement on anyone else in anyway for what they are thinking in the slightest so no one needs to justify anything.

As for me bringing out 'preferences' I don't really know what to say to that. I've been accused of hating and being a fanboy of many drivers (sometimes by you) but if that appears to be part of my posting to you then I'm sorry.

I am not PC either, but I have to say that without the fans and the money that comes in the sport through the fans (tickets, TV, and also sponsors, who wouldn't be involved if no one was watching) F1 would not exist. We are getting entertained, so we pay for the thing to finance itself.

I was pleasantly surprised that they got as much racing in as they did. The delays at the start and the terrible conclusion certainly detracted from this event however. It's always fun to watch Hamilton on the hunt and it was a fantastic display until the end. I can only go with a 7 though.

These drivers are seriously brave and I'm always impressed when they race in any wet conditions. Just seriously ballsy stuff.

To Dario Resta.

Dario Resta 'acceptably dangerous', what the Hell is that? And what would remove the stricken cars - human power alone, a timely prayer or a tractor or crane?

I don't downplay anyone's emotions; I do question the need to vent them at every given chance.

What I meant by acceptably dangerous is that motorsport can never be perfectly safe, but some risks can be eliminated. Putting heavy equipment in the firing line of an F1 car is unnecessary. If you can't have a crane the other side of the fence, then leave the car where it is. Would Bianchi be in this condition if he had hit Sutil's Sauber? Very doubtful. This incident makes me angry as someone's life is on the line because of totally avoidable incident that had no place in F1.

I would normally give a 10 with any Hamilton win, and especially in the way he took the lead from Rosberg. Jules serious accident has taken all of the joy out of the day, so I'm giving it a..........5.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for Bianchi.

7 from me. It may not be Le Mans, but there was still some real racing and superb driver skills in difficult conditions to be enjoyed. Seeing Hamilton pass Nico and then waltz away reminded me a little of Silverstone 2008.

Good drives too by Button, the two Red Bulls and JEV beating his promoted partner after starting at the back from an engine-change penalty (someone please give him a seat for next season!).

An awful end obviously, and my heart goes out to Jules and his family.

Back
Top Bottom