Grand Prix 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion - CANCELLED!

There was a time when a Grand Prix was named after a country or a continent. I presume this was because as the organisers describe the season as a World Championship this suggests that it involves nation states or some sort of supranational collective. Previously, to give Italy a second Grand Prix, particularly at the circuit named after the founder of the most famous F1 team (and his son), the Imola circuit hosted the San Marino Grand Prix, a micro state which sits within Italy's borders.

Back in the day, even when the United States hosted two races they were the US Grand Prix East and West. But as countries host multiple races any pretense of a country being the host has disappeared with a Miami Grand Prix, a Las Vegas Grand Prix (back again from the horror show in the 1980's), and now one named after a region of Italy.

Don't get me wrong, a country with the F1 sporting history of Italy deserves to hold multiple races, but I do find it intriguing that the FIA make no effort to reign in the push by Liberty Media to brand all and everything associated with F1, and allow races to be named after pretty much whatever the organisers want if it helps them turn a buck.

Before the days of someone turning up with a suitcase full of dollars and saying "I'd like a Grand Prix Please" you had to run non-Championship F1 race to get the appropriate licences for your circuit. The Imola circuit was just such a track and in 1979 it hosted the Dino Ferrari Grand Prix. 16 cars took part, including two Ferrari's and one car from most other teams on the grid. Williams were on the grid but with a private entry driven by a man calling himself Gimax. Niki Lauda won the race, with what was to be the last ever outing for a Brabham Alfa Romeo. Many thought this the likely last ever outing for Lauda as he walked away from the sport during practice at the next race in Canada declaring himself "fed up with driving round in circles". He came back in 1982, tempted by a large wedge of Marlboro money which would help his floundering airline out of a hole.

I thought this may have been the last ever non-championship race, but that honour belongs to Brands Hatch and the Race of Champions run in 1983. This was a proper motor race, not some nonsense in a football stadium.

Leaping back to 2023, here's the schedule for UK viewers. I also snipped the full name for the race and look forward to David Croft spitting out this mouthful after he has encouraged us to sign up for Sky Q, Sky Glass, Sky Colonic Irrigation, or "press the red button" to listen to some highly paid, incredibly privileged individuals bleat on about how driver X farted as they overtook and why that deserves a 5 second penalty.

1684139964707.png

To the race! Verstappen fastest in each practice session, Verstappen pole, Verstappen win, Verstappen fastest lap, Verstappen telling us how tough it was trying not to show that his car has the performance to lap the entire field twice whilst Chrissy Horner insists it's all about the driver.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Monaco is set up to meet the teams many weeks before the event, and as the E-Prix took place recently I suspect much of the infrastructure has been left in place. I'm also pretty sure there will be a variety of French lorry parks they can wait at, and get something more flavoursome than an Olympic breakfast.

very true & without this imola thread turning into global warming thread, its difficult issue for us as brits to say because what we do has little effect on anything because on Co2 emissions we are 17th. & until china who account for nearly a third, USA & India who combined with china those 3 countries do more damage than the rest of the world combined. like no point having a village of ecomincal cars & EVs, if 3 people have range rovers

Without wishing to escalate the global warming thread, Range Rovers are extremely clean. Battery cars are entirely the wrong way to go.

i was looking at the calendar & as much Stefano Domincali is try to make out that he can re arrange it, i dont see where you can re arrange it because for journalists they have 6 races in 7 weeks to cover, you cant stick in between britain & hungary as even fans nevermind engineers are tired after a triple header not 5 in 5. then you cant cut short the summer break. then after monza its the european season over

temp 2.jpg

Euro 6 are exempt irrespective of tax brand as are petrol Ferrari's, Aston's and Roller's from 2005 though there are some petrol cars from 2001, that's why it's cash generator and nothing to do with pollution or green planet saving measures

I thought Pirelli were bringing their new "no blankets required" wets to this race.

Interestingly, they do also make rubber seals for submarines.

I can imagine in bernie's day. what's all this about. the tracks fine & if paddocks flooded well go & buy some wellies. i dont care i got a F1 race to run, now stop your moaning & get on with it

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Breaking - "FIA have spoken to Liberty Media and Christian Horner and have agreed that Max Verstappen would have won anyway so will be awarded the win and the 25 points. The remaining places will be decided by a raffle"

Back
Top Bottom