On this day/old race discussions

I understand why cigarette sponsorship had to go but growing up watching the cars track round in mobile fag packet colours is forever etched in my mind. I can't see a McLaren without thinking of it being red and white or black and gold Lotus. Benetton will forever be the original company colours and Ferrari should be a much darker shade of red.
thats the generation because it found red & white McLaren weird as im used to silver

September is the month when two of the greatest F1 races of all time were run, both happened to be in Italy.

1969 was classic for the finish: four cars less than a second apart.

1967 was Clark (IMO the GOAT) at his very best.

And the talent throughout the field in those races makes today's lineups look feeble.

On this day in 1996 Michael Schumacher won the Italian GP for Ferrari. It was the first time Ferrari had won at Monza since Gerhard Berger in 1988
Hill thought he had blown his chance to be WC as Villeneuve finished out of the points

On 6th October 1973 Francois Cevert died in practice for the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen. As a mark of respect Tyrrell withdrew Jackie Stewart's sister car from the race, what would have been his 100th race start. Cevert was due to take over as team leader at Tyrrell in 1974 as Stewart was retiring after winning his third world drivers title.

Jean-Eric Vergne work a tribute helmet to Cevert at the Monaco GP in 2013, and I can't help but think Esteban Ocon's current helmet design is in part inspired by Cevert.

1665045333984.png

i remember reading that excpert from what Stewart wrote in his autobiography. "I arrived and stared in disbelief. There was my team-mate, my protégé, my friend, my younger brother. He was dead."

One (one of many) of the worst drivers to "compete" in F1 was born on October 15th 1983 in Sao Paolo, Bruno Senna.

Amazing how far a name can get you.

F1 is a sport where the ruthless will reign supreme until they come across supreme talent, at the moment we have the ruthless in a supreme car against a supreme talent on the wain in a reasonably crap car, we await the outcome as to whether the ruthless becomes a supreme talent.
In the past supreme talent ruled, the ruthless died along side with those with supreme talent life has never been fair

One (one of many) of the worst drivers to "compete" in F1 was born on October 15th 1983 in Sao Paolo, Bruno Senna.

Amazing how far a name can get you.
i would put mick schumacher in that if he had any other surname & had finished 12th in his 1st seasons of F3 & F2, quite anonymous at macau. before going on to win both at 2nd attempts. i dont the clamour to have him in F1 would been there

arguably the most famous legal ending to a championship there has ever been. my days i dont think i have ever been so stressed watching a race as i had been in the final laps. weirdly i was only talking about this few days ago that actually if i knew what the future would be it wouldve been nice if massa had won the title considering it was his 1 & only shot at it. often forgotten that it was actually massa final victory

but it could have easily been lewis only shot as imagine saying in 2006 alonso would never win a championship again

Last edited:
kimi final victory of his career. of the last 5 years i would say only this & perez victory for racing point was the only universally popular victories

View attachment 16030
That race was so epic! I'm so glad that Kimi got that last win for himself and the last Ferrari win that season! It was truly the best way to send off the Iceman from Ferrari. Truly a legend of the sport and one of my favorite drivers. I really miss him in Red and in the sport in general.

That race was so epic! I'm so glad that Kimi got that last win for himself and the last Ferrari win that season! It was truly the best way to send off the Iceman from Ferrari. Truly a legend of the sport and one of my favorite drivers. I really miss him in Red and in the sport in general.
very true i miss him but that horrible March of time. he had gotten too old

very true i miss him but that horrible March of time. he had gotten too old
That's unfortunate but true. There comes a time when that happens to every driver. I'm going to miss Vettel as well. He was my first favorite driver in F1. It was fun seeing him win in a Ferrari. For some reason though, Alonso is just so good still. I wish he had a car worthy of his talent. I would pay so see him in a Redbull / Mercedes / Ferrari.

That's unfortunate but true. There comes a time when that happens to every driver. I'm going to miss Vettel as well. He was my first favorite driver in F1. It was fun seeing him win in a Ferrari. For some reason though, Alonso is just so good still. I wish he had a car worthy of his talent. I would pay so see him in a Redbull / Mercedes / Ferrari.
it is very sad as much as ive had my disputes with loving the man outside the car but unhappy with the man inside the car he will be. a big loss to the sport but old heros have to go to create new heros. & like in life your 1st love never leaves you.

its why as much as i like & admire Lewis Hamilton. i just cant have the same emotional bond as i had with Jenson Button. watched him from when i was 9 til i was 26

on alonso i dont think he would win a 3rd world title in a top car but he would certainly be in the mix. as he's shown like Hamilton. age hasnt slowed him down

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom