Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

End of the day Sly F1 is about results - I'm sure the team would have prefered the 7th place over seeing Rosberg dice about with the Ferrari's and Button.

End of the day Sly F1 is about results - I'm sure the team would have prefered the 7th place over seeing Rosberg dice about with the Ferrari's and Button.

F1 isn't just about results, I can have a good race and have a mechanical failure and finish last, or get taken out. Yet people get noticed that way. I am sure the team would have, but he would have been on a faster pace, and more likely to run out of fuel and end up 8th anyway

So just like Jarno Trulli like I said then? Great Qualifier - backwards in the race. Like I said a compliment and an insult all in one.

No Rasputin. That's not what I said. Rosberg can extract a great lap out of the car but it is the car that goes backwards in the race. I know he is driving it but there is little evidence that it is him and not his machinery that fades on raceday. I would go so far as to say that the evidence is to the contrary.

Have to disagree Ninja I think the two situations are completely comparable especially when Trulli was in Toyota. Qualify higher than the car should be, dice around with the front runners and then drift back down to roughly where the car should be.

Webber used to be like that in the Jag too. I think there almost perfect examples.

Anyways - I just feel that Rosberg has finished behind Force India's/Saubers/Toro Rosso's just a little too many times this season for my taste.

Maybe they should build him a better car then. Do you not think?

Maybe so - but you can only spend so long of your career blaming the tools you've been given to work with. I agree he's a great qualifier but he fades in races. Whats the point in sticking it high up the gird if you're gonna get beat by Alguersauri, Sutil or Di Resta? Unless you're arguing the Merc is a worse car than the Force India's and the Toro Rosso's?

My reason for being a Nico-sceptic still go back to early 2009 when Williams had a race winning - or at least a podium getting car and he didn't deliever

Maybe so - but you can only spend so long of your career blaming the tools you've been given to work with. I agree he's a great qualifier but he fades in races. Whats the point in sticking it high up the gird if you're gonna get beat by Alguersauri, Sutil or Di Resta? Unless you're arguing the Merc is a worse car than the Force India's and the Toro Rosso's?

My reason for being a Nico-sceptic still go back to early 2009 when Williams had a race winning - or at least a podium getting car and he didn't deliever

In 2009 wasn't Nico the driver who was touted as the one who always made up positions in the race? I think he was. Go and look at quali vs. race position for Nico in 2009 and you will see that he consistently made gains on race-day.

[Edit - I remember Brundle making a lot of noise about this throughout the season.]

I am starting to see Ras's point over Trulli and Webber. But I don't know if this trend just started this season, think last season it was the opposite though.

Want to look further into it Rasputin?

Hmm. 7th place finish in championship for last three years, this season included. Pretty good considering he has never been in one of the fastest three teams. That says to me that he has achieved everything that could be expected of him and that he has done it very consistently.

Ok maybe I'm being a little harsh saying he "always" fades.

In 19 races last year he finished ahead of where he qualified 12 times

and in 17 races in 2009 he finished ahead of where he qualified 9 times.

I think where I'm getting hung up if I look is that in the last 2 season's he's qualified in the top 6 12 times and has only finished higher than where he started 4 times out of those 12.

I shall hold my tongue a little bit as maybe I am being a tad harsh given the equiptment he's got - I guess I never got over the hash he made of Malaysia 09! - but I don't see a future world champion I'm afraid.

Well he's had Nakajima and Wurz as his team-mate, how Nakajima didn't score a point in the 2009 season in a car that was quite capable is beyond me. Then there's Schumacher who's been out for 3 years, I will give him that one though as he was quite good in that season, but then Kubica in a slower car only finished 6 points behind him and was more impressive. 2011 Schumacher's close behind and has had more DNFs.

His record against team-mates might be good, but it isn't great since his team-mates have been somewhat "meh". I think that's why many feel he still has a lot to prove.

Yep. That's a valid point. I wouldn't call Schumacher "meh" though. Even in current form. I think they are both suffering from a mediocre car and Nico is doing the better job with it.

Yep. That's a valid point. I wouldn't call Schumacher "meh" though.

The 2010 one was "meh", wasn't comparing Rosberg to Schumacher this season since the season still has 3 races to go.

Think they are both doing an equally good job, I would say Schumacher's been doing the better job since Spain onwards, but overall equal.

The car, that's an interesting point, I think it this years car is worse than last years, but it's far from mediocre.

...but it's far from mediocre.

I think the team and those invested in them would disagree with you. It was the fifth fastest car at the beginning of the season but they have managed to keep their noses ahead of Renault Lotus Genii Capital, mainly due to Lotus going backwards. Other teams however, have been closing the gap (which is now quite small), Torro Rosso and Force India, most noticeably. On the odd weekend, I think Nico, especially, could put a Torro Rosso or a Force India ahead of a Merc.

I think the team and those invested in them would disagree with you. It was the fourth fastest car at the beginning of the season but they have managed to keep their noses ahead of Renault Lotus Genii Capital, mainly due to Lotus going backwards. Other teams however, have been closing the gap (which is now quite small), Torro Rosso and Force India, most noticeably. On the oss weekend, I think Nico, especially, could put a Torro Rosso or a Force India ahead of a Merc.

If Renault where ahead at the start of the season it would make Mercedes be the fifth fastest ;)

I rarely doubt Rosberg could do that, he's only finished 5th and 6th twice getting ahead of some of the faster cars infront but then Schumacher's did the same and has also achieved a 4th place. Think the Toro Rosso and Force India drivers are doing great jobs, the Toro Rosso car has only come good since Korea due to the exhaust upgrade, the Force India varies from each track, Di Resta managed to finish ahead of the Mercedes. But you could argue that is because Mercedes struggle at those type of tracks Monaco, Singapore.

I think Rosberg's not in his prime yet, but he could be the next Button with his 2010 season being comparable to Button's 2004.

Back
Top Bottom