Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

I think he should stay at Mercedes because with Schumacher and Brawn working there the car will be developed and developed, MS/RB have a history of this, Rosberg may get the fruits of all this if MS retires once the cars closer to the front. Massa had a similar thing at Ferrari.

Moving to Ferrari may be better in the short term for him, if he can match or beat Alonso yes, but if he doesn’t he may find himself being pushed to a number 2 role.

The Sun ROFL
it did not say either this year or next year

But clearly the amount of accidents is not helping Felipe and he crashed twice over the kerbs in the same place

I think Felipe should put himself out of his own misery before Ferrari do it for him

Also if this is true then Mercedes will put Di Resta in the vacant seat then surely

What about Hulkenberg, Sutil or even Raikkonen?
Di Resta is actually
contracted to Mercedes unlike the others you mentioned and the fact he gets on well with Norbert is a bargaining tool over the others

Sutil maybe German but some he 's not part of the Mercedes young drivers development
Hulkenberg has been out of F1 for a year so they want to see him at Force India first before taking him on
Raikkonen out of F1 for 2 years plus why did not he sign for Mercedes when the seat was available vacated by Button

Rosberg has signed with Mercedes until the end of 2013. Lets hope they can give him a better car next year. It is a shame to see his talents stuck in such a dog of a car.

I was really disappointed to hear that news this morning. Anyone happy for him?

I guess he is only 26 and this could be like Jenson's BAR Honda years that were the making of him?

Brave move by Nico, and an interesting one especially with the driver market opening up for the start of the 2013 season. That said, the current engine regulations aren't set to change until 2014 now so with another year or more of development the Merc could really be going places.

Where it could all go wrong is if the Merc's performance goes south and suddenly Nico finds himself unable to get a birth with one of the current top 3. Having said all that, his most likely chance of a 2014 seat away from Merc would be Mclaren. Like father, Like son again.

Now that his contract talks are done with, he can concentrate on the important matter at hand. Jenson Button's tweet; "One of my twitter followers has just brought to my attention that there will be 2 Britney's in the paddock this weekend"

Do Jense and his buddy Webbo still get a laugh out of this one? Because if you ask me it's a bit tired and was never that funny in the first place.

I am somewhat surprised by Nico's decision which leaves us with

Mclaren - Button until 2015, - 3 year contact
Hamilton currently until 2013

Red Bull - Vettel until 2014,
Webber currently until 2013 -1 year contract

Ferrari - Alonso until 2016
Massa until 2013

Mercedes - Rosberg until 2014
Schumacher until 2013 - this confirms pretty much Di Resta will be at Force India next year and is going to be a shoot out with him and Hulkenberg for this seat..I don't see Schumacher carry on further

there is not much scope for anyone else wanting a top drive in the next few years then

Sensible decision from Rosberg to sign on for an extra couple of years. At the moment there's no seat available at the top 3 teams, so i can see why he's decided to stick it out with Mercedes. Plus Mercedes may produce a car good enough to win with the new rules in 2013.

BTW - Reckon Perez is all but signed up to Ferrari for 2013.

Think he should have signed for one more year rather than 2. For 2013 there are a fair few drivers in top teams that don't have a contract from then onwards.

But I am not Nico Rosberg.

Back
Top Bottom