Nick Heidfeld

Nick made his debut in F1 in the year 2000 for Prost Peugeot finishing his first season in the sport in 20th position scoring no points.

In 2001 he moved to Sauber and was joined in the team by rookie Kimi Raikkonen and scored a respectable 12 points finishing 8th in the WDC standings for the midfield team beating his rookie teammate. At the end of 2001 is was widely reported that Nick would replace retiring F1 legend Mika Hakkinen at Mclaren but he was left disappointed because it was infact his rookie teammate that landed the drive at Mclaren ahead of him.

So in the end he ended up spending another two seasons with Sauber paired with rookie Felipe Massa in 2002 scoring 7 points and in 2003 he was partner by fellow German Heniz-Harald Frentzen scoring 6 points.

In 2004 Nick swapped Sauber for Jordon and was partnered by both Pantano and Glock at the team scoring JUST 3 points.

In 2005 Heidfeld left Jordon and joined team Williams BMW partnering Austrailan Mark Webber after having a shoot out with Pizzonia for the second seat at Williams. Heidfeld went on to score 28 points that season for Williams. During that season he scored his first ever Pole Position and went on to claim 2 podiums.

In 2006 Heidfeld and BMW left Williams and took over the Sauber team. Heidfelds teammate to begin with that season was former World Champion Jacque Villeneuve, but after Villeneuve hurt himself at the German GP, he was replaced by rookie Robert Kubica. Heidfeld in 2006 scored 23 points.

In the seasons that followed Heidfeld stayed at BMW until their quit the sport back in 2009. In 2007 he scored 61 points, in 2008 he scored 81 points and in 2009 he scored 19 points.

In 2010 he joined Mercedes GP as a test and reserve driver but at the Singapore GP he was drafted in too replace Pedro De La Rosa at the Sauber team he partnered Kamui Kobayashi for the rest of the season scoring 6 points.

Now in 2011 Heidfeld is driver for the Renault Lotus team after former teammate Robert Kubica suffered a crash in a rally earlier in the year. He has currently scored 34 points so far and is partnered with former GP2 runner up Vitaly Petrov.

Heidfeld's Career has been very steady, but what has Heidfeld got/had missing in him to make top teams take notice of him?

I agree with what you're saying, I was disagreeing with rasputinlives (I think, I can't be arsed to go back a page and look...) when he described Sutil as having had chances over and over again. Sutil's only ever been with one team, and he's been better and better each season he's been with them. Purely judging by talent Sutil very much deserves to be on the grid.

Did you hear Nick when he did guest commentary? He was great!

TOP overtaker when he needed to be too.

Whata guy.

Anyway, if it were down to interesting personalities I can't see any current British driver having a seat!

Quick Nick has been confirmed as a full time LMP1 driver with Rebellion Racing for 2013. That includes full season world endurance championship and American Le Mans series entries.
After he performed excellently in 2012 Le Mans 24 hour I wouldn't be surprised if he was very successful in 2013.
A shame he's not on the current F1 grid, as he'd be among the top 50% on talent alone, but so it goes. He's said he was only willing to drive in F1 again if there was an actual chance of driving for a team that could maybe win, so presumably wasn't willing to take a drive that was beneath him, such as a seat at one of the new teams. Leave those to pay drivers, Nick.

Here's a picture he took on christmas
http://instagram.com/p/TnrWDrMUVe/
I don't know what he was earning during his time in F1, but judging from the pics he posts, he ain't struggling.
Also I'm guessing this snowman can't have been more than 3 feet tall
http://instagram.com/p/SvZdg0MUW2/

This is entitled "Pizza Hut"
http://instagram.com/p/SL1zZesUcf/

EvilWhippet

He only has himself to blame 10 years in F1 and actually had to rely on one pay driver Giorgio Pantano who funded the jordan team in 2004 so that he did not have to cough up the money and stay in f1

Backed by Mercedes to get into F1 and given lifelines at BMW and Lotus Renault - he did not step up to the plate when the chance was there for the team and against his teammate

The fact is Ron Dennis did not pick him to drive for Mclaren speaks volumes despite being the tester endorsed by Mercedes

I think his stint at BMW showed that he was worthy enough to be on the grid, and the only chance the team had at victory was at Canada, where both drivers could have won, but the team obviously and rightly wanted a secure 1-2, ruining Heidfeld's chance.

2008 wasn't a great season, but you can compare that to Button's season this year where he was consantly off the pace from Hamilton.

The fact is Ron Dennis did not pick him to drive for Mclaren speaks volumes despite being the tester endorsed by Mercedes

Also, Petrov's one of the most improved drivers from his first season on the grid, and has sent both Heidfeld and Kovalainen into retirement

We know why Heidfeld got sacked from Lotus-Renault, Bruno Senna's $$$.

I remember you saying and several others, the reason was because he wasn't sponsor friendly.

Of course I don't think he's as good as Raikkonen, but you are being very harsh on him. You can compare his career to Button until the Brawn car came along with less luck.

I'm not a fan of Heidfeld, I don't dislike him either.

In the drivers championship he finished ahead of Robert Kubica two years out of three.

You're going to tell me the extenuating circumstances but considering Kubica's level, he did well to get close enough to capitalise.

Sorry Nick fans but I'm glad he's off the grid. He had a nice try but never got the cigar and I doubt now he ever would. In the words of the Clash "If you've been trying for years we've already heard your song"

Good luck to him in Sportscars though. A Le Mans win would be cool.

EvilWhippet

He only has himself to blame 10 years in F1 and actually had to rely on one pay driver Giorgio Pantano who funded the jordan team in 2004 so that he did not have to cough up the money and stay in f1

Backed by Mercedes to get into F1 and given lifelines at BMW and Lotus Renault - he did not step up to the plate when the chance was there for the team and against his teammate

Only has himself to blame for what? Getting the Rebellion Racing drive? That's what my post was about.

Ron Dennis preferring Raikkonen - arguably the most naturally talented driver of the last ten years - speaks volumes? Well, no it doesn't really, as being rated lower than one of the best drivers in the world doesn't really mean that much. Even today I'd rate Raikkonen as 4th best at worst.

When did he not step up to the plate? He has an extremely impressive record against team mates.

Your post is, at best, hyperbole.

EvilWhippet
Slyboogy
RasputinLives

Three incidents during his career stands out that made people look away

1) Despite being Mercedes tester Ron did not pick him for Mclaren - sponsor friendly was the apparent reasons that hurt him bad

2) He stuck with Sauber for too long when no one else came calling and in the end got sacked losing to Frentzen as well who could not hold down a drive in F1

3) People said he beat Kubica 2 years out of 3

1st year you would expect him too given it was Kubica's first full season

2nd year Kubica was leading the championship and the team opted for a bizarre decision to support Heidfeld up to speed and concentrate for 2009 .... for your information his performance to Kubica post Canada was 33pts Kubica to 32 pts Heidfeld which included him benefiting from Hamilton's demotion

3rd year ...name a race where Heidfeld made people grab attention then?
------------------------------------

That Jordan season where he drove .. he did not have sponsors... Pantano had to bring sponsors into the team to earn his drive and part fund Heidfeld's wages as well

As for his season at Lotus Renault - he's been talking up himself that he was still good enough to be world champion.

So here's a lifeline at being the team leader which he failed to deliver because he was up against Kubica as the benchmark from previous season to PEtrov

EvilWhippet

Heidfeld beat Kimi right and he was the Mclaren test driver and supposedly had MErcedes supporting his case and that was not enough to convince Ron despite having seen him from F3000 to F1 for a few years

Slyboogy

10 years right - he's not exactly driven some :censored: cars apart from Prost 2000 and Jordan 2004

I still think if he was not German right BMW would not have made the bizarre decision to sort him out rather than back Kubica who was championship leader in 2008

He had MArio Thiessen to thank for resurrecting his career briefly from Jordan first to get him to Williams and then signing him up to BMW

I remember when Villeneuve was his teammate and then they threw Kubica a chance and the word was Heidfeld has suddenly found 0.5 seconds a lap..where was the speed previously
------------------------

In terms of similarities to Button's career... well Button did not have Mercedes backing to get into F1 and his root was not as smooth

Button obviously did not handle the BAR /Williams mess well but then who does when they put their name to paper and realise they may be sued. His career appeared to be going up until people realised Honda were in a lot more mess than
but he did show his abilities when it was wet
he had his one chance/ lifeline and seized his opportunity

I am sure if Heidfeld was hussling the other 4 teams regularly like Kubica did in 2010 he might have been on the grid still

I should add despite initial rejections by Ron at Mclaren for 2002... he was promised that may drive for the team in future...and who did Ron pick next to replace DC....Juan Montoya

Slyboogy

Not sponsor friendly was Ron's reasons and it seems to be one of his achilles heel that he is a sponsors nightmare

If you compare to Mika Hakkinen the iceman somehow fitted with Mercedes appeal in Germany

Don't you think there are enough Germans on the grid without introducing another? All I can say with the signing of Chilton and Schumachers retirement is --- THE BRITS ARE COMING......

Back
Top Bottom