Poll New rule. Use all 3 tyre compounds in every race

Should F1 teams be required to use all 3 tyre compounds in the race?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Simple easy rule change idea I heard proposed on sky. All 3 tyres compounds to be used in the race. This would guarantee 2 pit stops and give the potential for a bigger performance difference between soft and hard tyre users. It would in theory be more strategically interesting. Your thoughts?

Let's have one set of tyres to last the whole race.
One compound for use on all circuits.
Only reason for a pitstop is to change a blown tyre or damaged wings.

Never know, it might even save some money too.

I say no because then we would have multiple pit stops but also not many varied strategies as well as trying to run the harder tyres first so the soft ones will be left at the end for fastest laps

I’ve gone for using all three. But there might be something to be sai for 1 compound, the same compound on all cars being used for the entire race.

Let's have one set of tyres to last the whole race.
One compound for use on all circuits.
Only reason for a pitstop is to change a blown tyre or damaged wings.

Never know, it might even save some money too.
temp1.gif

Last edited:
i would certainly try for a few races as it cant hurt. i remember bahrain 2016? grosjean 1st race for a haas was quite entertaining with all 3

Personally, I'd go with a set of rules that:
1. Limited the number of tyres available in qualifying (maybe have 2 set of tyres from the entirety of qualifying)
2. Have two choices of tyres. Hard tyres can run the entire race, but are 0.5-1 seconds a lap slower than the soft. The soft tyre is faster, but lasts only 1/3 of the race. Drivers can choose whether to stop (or not).

I'd favour just two compounds all year. A hard and a soft.

The hard designed to last approximately 60 to 70 percent of a medium tyre wear track and the soft approximately 30 to 40 percent of the same.

At low wear you'd probably be talking a no stopper on hards or a one stop on softs.

At high wear circuits probably two stops on hard or three stops, two for hards and one for softs.

Keeps it nice and simple.

It doesn't require a tyre maker to produce 6 or 7 different compounds even of they are only called soft, medium and hard which should save money.

And as long as there was a reasonable differential in performance it could lead to interesting strategies.

i think we have got to wait until next season, because it should bring great racing, as the dirty air should be for all intents & purposes should be gone. but if it doesnt then we could be in bad way

i think we have got to wait until next season, because it should bring great racing, as the dirty air should be for all intents & purposes should be gone. but if it doesnt then we could be in bad way
I'm skeptical. They said the same thing about the current aero rules.

And yet they will.

And the same discussions and arguments will continue.
I’m less sceptical about the new rules, as some of the key aspects are being addressed
  • Focus on surface aero removed towards underfloor ground effect
  • Tyres changed to low profile, should make it easier to design good suspension systems (less undamped suspension travel from the car. Hopefully, Pirelli produce proper tyres as well
  • Banning of tyre warmers; under cuts should be a thing of the past, so overtakes need to take place on track.

Back
Top Bottom