New engine suppliers

I was hoping they would take the opportunity to produce their own engine, with the huge change in regulations.

It would have been very interesting, but it would have carried a mountain of risk as well. If the engine proved unreliable then that first year would have become a bit of a write off.

But then again, I'm not sure anybody will be immune to the teething problems with a new powerplant.

Just ask Jason Plato LOL
Here's what Jason thinks:

finger.jpg

Yes, I saw this the other day (on Pitpass.com I think). I hope it's just Bernie's (not to mention di Montezemolo's) usual sabre-rattling, poking a stick in a hornet's nest type antics, as I am really looking forward to the new engines. Any claim that they sound 'terrible' and 'not enough like F1' to my mind just doesn't stack up. The lower-revving turbo engines of the 80's and 90's, to my mind anyway, sounded at least as good if not better than today's high-pitched screamers.

If Bernie does abandon the new engine I can see some lawsuits flying.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102998 Alain Prost has hinted that he could give Renault's new 2014 engine an on-track test in the next two months.
The four-time world champion drove a contemporary Formula 1 car for the first time since 1996 last weekend, where he performed demonstration runs in the 2010 Red Bull RB6 and Renault R30 at the Paul Ricard World Series by Renault meeting.
Prost said that he enjoyed the chance to experience a contemporary F1 car, and he revealed that his work as a Renault ambassador means he is heavily involved in the development of the manufacturer's 2014 engine.

Totally agree Sportsman...
investment and development will be too far advanced to pull the plug now.

and if its down to the noise and 'history', where does Bernie want to draw the line?
V8 / V10 / V12 / Inline 4 / Inline 6 / H16 / Flat 4 / Flat 12?

a good sound is as subjective an opinion as people may have about a beautiful car.

I figure, it's F1 and even if the sound isn't as high pitched or screaming as it is now, it's still going to be an extremely cool and recognizable noise. The 70s and 80s were great and those cars weren't screamers

Back
Top Bottom