Monza signs new deal

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
Monza has signed a new deal which will extend the Italian tracks current agreement to host the GP from 2012 until 2016.

As quoted in the article, Bernie was talking up the possibility of a Rome street race to replace Monza. That now seems unlikely unless the country hosts a second race.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Alonso now driving for Ferrari?
Can you imagine the uproar in Italy if Monza had been dropped?

Where does this leave the Rome GP that Bernie is pushing?

If we have both Monza and Rome then 1 race is going to have to be dropped from the Calendar as I can't see it increasing to 20 races.

Let's hope it's Valencia.

I think there is a good case for rewarding the home nation of the current world champion an extra GP (or if it was Finland a first GP). That way it acts as a bonus for the fans who would surely turn out to see their own World Champion and it would hopefully mean we see a lot less of Valencia.

The plan would fall down in countries without a suitable second track to host a race but if this had been introduced for this season it could have saved Donnington or we could have seen a GP back at Brands (all though they would have had to do even more work than Donnington to bring it up to spec).

cider_and_toast said:
Monza has signed a new deal which will extend the Italian tracks current agreement to host the GP from 2012 until 2016.

As quoted in the article, Bernie was talking up the possibility of a Rome street race to replace Monza. That now seems unlikely unless the country hosts a second race.

I know this is an old one....but i think its perhaps worth pointing out, even a long time before Monza Deal was put in place. It was never about Bernie replacing Rome with Monza.

Bernie being Bernie has been a very pivved about only 5 people turning up to watch the Turkish GP. Money talks in f1 and with one man and his dog being the only ones turning up to a GP and not much Marketing to be done there, theres not a lot of money flowing through the turnstiles so to speak.

So Bernie is looking for a replacement... Perhaps Rome would herald the return of the Sam Marino GP or something like that.

Whilst I am delighted with news of Monza, am I the only one who worries at the state of F1, with all the 'poncing' around with rules and fancy gadgets etc etc. I am really depressed! Normally I would have gone to Melbourne, but find it difficult to find any enthusiasm.

Bellabella said:
Whilst I am delighted with news of Monza, am I the only one who worries at the state of F1, with all the 'poncing' around with rules and fancy gadgets etc etc. I am really depressed! Normally I would have gone to Melbourne, but find it difficult to find any enthusiasm.

Next time you feel like this, give me your ticket! :D

Back
Top Bottom