Michael Schumacher retires

Shame his comeback couldn't have been more successful - one pole (lost due to a gearbox change) and one third, from the top of my head. I would have loved him to have added more to his incredible stats but it just wasn't to be.

Has anyone ever comeback twice having announced their retirement apart from Frank Sinatra? And he wasn't much of a Grand Prix driver.

Think Michael in all honestly regrets that he retired first time round and wanted to come back to prove he still have had it. In bits he showed he still had it but not often enough. The right decision now just stay retired or do some DTM or WTCC if ya bored outta ya brains.

Such a shame, I really would have liked to see him win at least one more GP. I suppose there are still a few chances for this to happen, however unlikely, it would be great to watch.

He'll be on the Merc pitwall next season then.

In answer to FB on who has returned to F1 twice, the only one I can think of is Alan Jones. Retired from Williams, came back with Arrows, sort of retired and then cameback with Lola.

As for Schumie, all good things and all that. His comeback was purely for himself to see if he still had it. As it turns out he didn't. Will this tarnish his legacy? He is the most decorated driver of all time so it will take more than three years not doing a great deal and hitting things to do that but it can't have helped. Looks like Niki Lauda still holds the "greatest comeback" title.

Has anyone ever comeback twice having announced their retirement apart from Frank Sinatra? And he wasn't much of a Grand Prix driver.

---------------------------------------------------------

Alan Jones? He was supposed to come back in 1983 (before he eventually did at the end of 1985) but didn't actually race that year.

Not sure either but in any case he wouldn't have had much choice seeing as though Beatrice-Lola folded right at the end of 1986.

Prost was also said at one point to be on the verge of coming out of retirement for 1995 with McLaren but nothing came of it after testing the McLaren-Peugeot:

prost_mclaren.jpg

proabbly because he tested the Mclaren Peugeot!

Technically Mansell retired in 1990 then came back for Williams in 91 - then retired in 1992 and came back for 94/95

Back
Top Bottom