Michael Schumacher retires

His speech in full

It is probably not a complete surprise to explain a little bit on how my thoughts are on this. Basically I have decided to retire by the end of the year.
Although I am still able and capable to compete with the best drivers that are around, at some point it is good to say goodbye - and that is what I am doing this season. This time it might even be forever.
During the past month, I was not sure if I still had the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on. It is not my style to do something that I am not 100 per cent feeling for. With today's decision, I feel released from those doubts and in the end my ambition to fight for victories and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.
It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goals to develop a world championship fighting car. But it is also very clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in the whole time of my career.
In the past six years I have learned a lot about myself. For example, that you can open yourself without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning. Sometimes I lost sight of this in the early years. But you appreciate to be able to do what you love to do. That you should live your convictions and I was able to do so.
I would obviously like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz, the team, the engineers, and all my mechanics for all the trust that they put in those years in to myself. But I would also like to thank all of my friends, partners and companions who over many years in motor sport supported myself.
But most of all I would like to thank Corinna, and my family for standing always by my side, giving me the freedom to live my conviction and share my joy. That is very special.
I would like now to concentrate until the end of the season for the last races, and enjoy them together with you. Let's have fun.
Thank you.

...not to mention deliberately ramming an opponent off the track in order to win, another attempt at the same thing, disobeying a black flag, parking his car in the middle of the track during a qualifying session to prevent another driver having a chance to better his time, being disqualified from a whole season, habitually chopping across other drivers (starting a trend which eventually led to the introduction of written 'driver standards' regulations such as the 'one move' rule), having his team mate back off under team orders to let him pass right at the end of a race in which he had been roundly beaten, and which had no effect on the championship...

Yeah, thanks Michael.

I think generally people are too negative about his comeback. Yes in 2010 he was pretty shocking. However in 2011 and 2012 he showed considerable progress over the previous seasons, the fact that this season (barring bad luck) he has matched Rosberg's performance at the age of 43 is incredible.

If it were any other driver they would be judged much less harshly IMO, he's a victim of the huge amount of success he achieved at Ferrari and Benetton. Yeah he hasn't won (yet? maybe :whistle: ) but to me it's the actual performances that matter, not the results (his podium at Valencia wasn't nearly impressive as his 4th place at Montreal in 2011 for example). Overall not a bad comeback, ta Schumi.

That's a fair point you make siffert_fan, it's just that this thread is about Schumacher and it seems to me that he took ruthless disregard for fair play and the safety of others to a new level during his first stint in Formula 1.

I just wanted to prevent this thread becoming an unchallenged tribute to the man; if I go too far the other way then I apologise, but that's just my honest opinion of him.

(his podium at Valencia wasn't nearly impressive as his 4th place at Montreal in 2011 for example).

Glad someone brought up Montreal. Before that rsce if you'd told me I'd be screaming "come on Schumi" at an F1 race I'd have called you a liar but there I was willing him on when he was out front there at the end.

The great unknown is how quick he'd have been through 2007, 2008 and 2009 if he'd never retired. The years out seem (to me) to have taken a lot out of him, and even though he's faster now, he's nowhere near his performance level in 2006, never mind his peak (probably 10 years earlier).

He was a blisteringly quick driver and carried that air of inevitable triumph about him. He also behaved very badly and made some stupid errors, which sadly have tarnished his legacy quite a bit, certainly among British fans and I'm sure to a lesser extent elsewhere too.

On the basis that he's gone through this process twice now, I don't expect him to do any other forms of racing, certainly not anything serious.

The great unknown is how quick he'd have been through 2007, 2008 and 2009 if he'd never retired. The years out seem (to me) to have taken a lot out of him, and even though he's faster now, he's nowhere near his performance level in 2006, never mind his peak (probably 10 years earlier).

He was a blisteringly quick driver and carried that air of inevitable triumph about him. He also behaved very badly and made some stupid errors, which sadly have tarnished his legacy quite a bit, certainly among British fans and I'm sure to a lesser extent elsewhere too.

On the basis that he's gone through this process twice now, I don't expect him to do any other forms of racing, certainly not anything serious.

Ali?

Back
Top Bottom