MotoGP Melandri confirms Kawasaki move for 2009

C

Chrisoldinho

Melandri confirms Kawasaki move for 2009

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/M...+move+for+2009

Italian MotoGP star Marco Melandri has told motogp.com that he will ride for Kawasaki next season.

Although he still remains focussed on completing the 2008 campaign with current employees Ducati Marlboro, former 250cc World Champion Marco Melandri has revealed that he is to join Kawasaki at the end of this season.

Following his move to the Ducati factory team from satellite outfit Honda Gresini last winter Melandri has experienced an abrupt downturn in form and it was confirmed last month that he would not stay with the Italian manufacturers beyond 2008.

Since then Melandri has been in discussions with other teams and has made his mind up that Kawasaki is the right move.

Speaking to motogp.com on the second and final day of the post-Cardion ab Grand Prix Ceske republiky test on Tuesday Melandri commented, `I hope to get good results in the last six races of 2008 and after that I am moving to another team. I will ride for Kawasaki next year so it´s a big change for me.´

`For the time being I want to think about this season but it will be a big challenge next year. I will keep working hard though and I am quite confident.´

Explaining why he had chosen Kawasaki in particular he added, `(John) Hopkins is a very good rider and maybe he needs a stronger team-mate to be a little bit more motivated. Maybe I also need this kind of company to be motivated a little bit more because I really want to work closely together with a team-mate, so it will be a good experience anyway.´

Commenting on the possibility of a return to Honda Gresini, a rumour that had circulated in the MotoGP paddock, Melandri also said, `Yes it would have been a very nice option to go back to Fausto (Gresini). I had a very good time with him and he has always helped me a lot. Also this year we have been talking together, but for me, I have been looking at Kawasaki and they always seem very good. The engineers and the people give me a good feeling just to talk to them, so that is what I want to do.´

I say good on him, he's never got on with that Ducati, such a shame as he's a very talented rider. Hopefully he can move Kawasaki forward next year.

Feel sorry for Anthony West who seems like he will be leaving Moto GP now, especially as he has just had a seasons best finishing 5th in the race at Brno.

Discuss, Chris.

Penske666 said:
Can't say I'm surprised - Ducati seem to be one horse wonders this year :o

I think Tony Elias is starting to get used to the Desmosedici engine and the chassis of the Ducati now but your right in that it does seem to a bike that only Stoner can generally speaking get along with. One wonders if the bike was made for his riding style :dunno:

Hopefully this move will make the championship a bit closer next year.
I have been absolutely astonished by Rossi and Stoner who seem able to pull out a 10 second gap over the rest of the field within a few laps.

Everyone admires their ability but it can make for boring races.
Much better to have 4, 5 or even more guys pushing and shoving each other lap after lap :D

Brogan said:
Hopefully this move will make the championship a bit closer next year.
I have been absolutely astonished by Rossi and Stoner who seem able to pull out a 10 second gap over the rest of the field within a few laps.

Everyone admires their ability but it can make for boring races.
Much better to have 4, 5 or even more guys pushing and shoving each other lap after lap :D

Yes, last year with Stoner and this year with Stoner & Rossi have been a little bit boring IMO as they pull such leads that no one else can compete. A few years back you would struggle to see this.

Take away TC I say and let them control the power with themselves, nannying electronics only interfere with the spectacle.

This years races have been best down in the lower classes, in particular 125cc - Some absolute belters (infact nearly every race)!

Back
Top Bottom