Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

Webber posted a snap online of Singapore driver steward Derek Warwick hitching a ride from Gerhard Berger in 1988.

72e7.jpg

GP Update has photos of a couple dozen similar incidents, dating back as far as Jimmy Clark and Graham Hill. Maybe my memory is slipping but I don't seem to recall anyone ever have been punished for this in the history of the sport, much less such a severe penalty.

A reprimand is not a severe penalty...

Webber and everyone have been warned of this before, we may not like it, but they are the rules, the stewards punished them leniently for breaking them, it is not their fault that Webber already had 2 reprimands before.

Last edited:
Warwick now says their initial reaction was not to penalise them. But then the video crew came up with another clip from an additional camera showing what Hamilton would have seen as he rounded the corner.

So Warwick admits that when the stewards knew only what Webber could have known at the time, they felt no need to penalise him. It was only when he learned what Webber could not have known unless he could see through walls or had the ability to predict the future that they decided he should be penalised.

Last edited:
He speaks the truth though, I wonder if the likes of Alonso and Webber would have got into the sport these days if they were just starting out now

Of course after the talent had got into the sport Mark would have prob crashed into it, told it idiotic and dangerous to the media and declared it was too young to be there.

But yes his point is correct.

The way I see it is Webber is one of if not the greatest driver to have not won a world championship. 2010 was probably his best chance, he was on fire in Spain/Monaco/Turkey (before Vettel took him out)/Silverstone/Hungary etc. frankly Korea was the destroyer of his championship (you could argue strategy call in Abu Dhabi, but that was a team error, whereas in Korea that wss 100% Mark's fault). Have to say though, top guy, and great racer!

At Abu Dhabi RBR knew that Ferrari would cover any move Webber made. Is it just possible that they hung Webber out to dry knowing that this would also screw Alonso and hand the championship to their favoured driver?

I have the majority in mind I just have to order them up but will use you stats!

I think we all know who number one is though.

Does it grow in rocks and in damp conditions ? Or are you going to tell me about your (fan) love affair with Gaston Mazzacane ?

Back
Top Bottom